The BCB runners and walkers corner

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: The BCB runners and walkers corner

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 Nov 2019, 13:00

Congratulations, that’s amazing!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Jan 2020, 08:06

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Jumper K wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:I’m going to give the couch to 5k thing a try. Couch isn’t true as I already do a lot of exercise, I just don’t run. I really loathe running, so I’m interested to see how long I keep it up.

Still at it?

Started today!!

Must get into grass - pavement is shit for the old thud thud thud.

I fucked my back up big style very quickly trying this.
Not as quickly as I fucked my back up trying to walk quickly up steep Yorkshire hills in wellies, though!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 16 Jan 2020, 15:48

trans-chigley express wrote:My recent activity includes the 200km Tour du Mont Blanc which was spectacular - I'd really like to post some pics when I get a chance -
Wow impressive, we only did a short three day hike just west of Mt Blanc back in the early 00's.

Sadly, my hiking days maybe over, arthritis in the knees is too much unless we go for surgery we doubt we can walk up even the small hills anymore. :(

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 16 Jan 2020, 23:50

Hightea wrote:
Sadly, my hiking days maybe over, arthritis in the knees is too much unless we go for surgery we doubt we can walk up even the small hills anymore. :(

Oh no, how awful, sounds so debilitating. What would surgery do for the knee. Would you consider it?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 17 Jan 2020, 02:47

trans-chigley express wrote:
Hightea wrote:

Oh no, how awful, sounds so debilitating. What would surgery do for the knee. Would you consider it?

I have already had left knee meniscus surgery about 10 years ago and was diagnosed with arthritis in the knee and it's getting worse. Need to get it relooked at but even if I get back out of pain my mountain climbing days are over. I'm fine did plenty.

Really this will be my last true hike. This summer up Sentinel Mountain in Maine- only 6.2 but loaded with boulder fields and wet roots.

Prefered to just be at Kidney pond as seen above looking at Mt Katahdin which I've climbed a few times.
Image[/url]

Still can go up gondolas :D - Mont Blanc gondola

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 17 Jan 2020, 04:08

Hightea wrote:
Prefered to just be at Kidney pond as seen above looking at Mt Katahdin which I've climbed a few times.
Image[/url]

That's a beauty.

I'll get round to posting some of my Mt Blanc pics when I get a chance.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 17 Jan 2020, 04:50

Hightea wrote:

The Mt Blanc Cable cars are pretty awesome. I went from both the Italy and France sides on rest days.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 17 Jan 2020, 14:31

Hightea wrote:

The Mt Blanc Cable cars are pretty awesome. I went from both the Italy and France sides on rest days.

just did the French side - yes pretty cool

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 22 Jan 2020, 13:56

trans-chigley express wrote: training for an upcoming 70km trail run which I'm kind of dreading as I don't feel at all prepared and it's still way too hot here for such long distances over some very big hills. We'll see how that one goes, it's on the 26th of October.

well I completed my 70km race with 8minutes to spare before the 17.5hr cut off. There was 3600m of elevation on the trail with 90% in the first 35km and it was a hot sunny day with temps close to 30 degrees, so by the time I reached the flattish sections I was too buggered to keep up any pace. I had to really speed up in the last 20km though to beat that cut off. With a 50% Did Not Finish rate out of nearly 600 runners I am pleased to have just made it over the finish line in time but it was a hell of a tough race and it highlighted my drop in stamina levels this year.

Fuck me, I thought I was doing well doing 54km in a week last week. Although I did manage that in a combined time of under 5 hours :)
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 23 Jan 2020, 12:29

Copehead wrote:
Fuck me, I thought I was doing well doing 54km in a week last week. Although I did manage that in a combined time of under 5 hours :)

with how much elevation? ;)

5 hours total time is a pretty good pace btw
Last edited by trans-chigley express on 23 Jan 2020, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 23 Jan 2020, 12:47

I entered a ballot to enter one of the famous Ultra Tour du Mont Blanc races in September but unfortunately I wasn't successful. For those that don't know these are the world's most popular Ultra Marathons and basically follow the trails I did last September with some variations. Entering the ballot requires a minimum number of points taken from 2 races done the previous year. I had 5 pts from the 100km Hong Kong Oxfam Trail Walker and 3 pts from the recent Lantau70 giving me 8pts that qualified me for two of the 5 major races. I chose to enter the ballot for the easier of the two options the 100km CCC race (starting in Courmayour, Italy and finishing in Chamonix, France via Champex in Switzerland...hence the CCC in the name). Me and two friends of mine entered but only one of us got a place. There's only a 1 in 5 chance of success in the ballot. To try next year I need a couple more big races to get the qualifying points, so I'll see what I can do, but I ain't getting any younger.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 23 Jan 2020, 15:06

Copehead wrote:

with how much elevation? ;)

5 hours total time is a pretty good pace btw

Not a great deal, but there are some short steep hills in Ruislip woods and around Woburn center Parcs to get the heart pumping.

I did a timed 10k road race at the start of that week as well in 57 mins, which was slower than I managed in the summer

I do under 55 mins on a treadmill but I get bored and often don't make 10k

I love running out in the woods, OK I am far slower, usually over an hour because of the mud at this time of year but it is lovely being out in the woods on a run.

I could never envisage doing what you did or even a marathon, I spent too long being fat I think.

But a half marathon is within grasp and I regularly knock off 10ks these days, usually one a week at least.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 24 Jan 2020, 05:19

Copehead wrote:I love running out in the woods, OK I am far slower, usually over an hour because of the mud at this time of year but it is lovely being out in the woods on a run.

I agree, going out in the countryside sure beats road running and definitely treadmills which bore me after just a few km. Trails provide so much more variation and keep you focused with having to concentrate far more on where you're putting your feet, you won't get your fastest pace but it's just a whole lot more enjoyable.

Copehead wrote:
I could never envisage doing what you did or even a marathon, I spent too long being fat I think.

But a half marathon is within grasp and I regularly knock off 10ks these days, usually one a week at least.

I'll never impress anyone with pace, I'm designed more for endurance. Over 10km or a half marathon you'd beat me every time, as would Fange and others. Long distance with plenty of climbs is very much my comfort zone. In races I see so many burn out half way through when they've attempted to maintain their usual fast pace. It's hard to resist shooting off quickly from at the start especially if there is initially a long flattish section before the climbs kick in, and this is where many fail. I overtake a LOT of people in the latter half of races. It's hare and tortoise :)

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 Feb 2020, 17:46

Running is the one thing I really miss.

Recent health issues deem it impossible.

I used to run 100 miles a week at one time when I was training for a marathon and I loved it.

Still you can’t ponder what you can’t do, you have to be thankful for what you can do.

Good luck and good health to all those competing or just running for fun

X
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 05 Feb 2020, 13:36

I've never really run in my life so it's a bit late now.
I've just started a 'couch to 5k' routine, using an app, and I'm quite pleased with myself despite still being very much at the couch stage.

I really must tee up new playlist though.
Bugger off.

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 Feb 2020, 20:28

Rorschach wrote:I've never really run in my life so it's a bit late now.

I got my dad into running. He'd never done any sport in his life.

He ran his first marathon when he was 59

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 25 Feb 2020, 11:33

Carlsson wrote:
Rorschach wrote:I've never really run in my life so it's a bit late now.

I got my dad into running. He'd never done any sport in his life.

He ran his first marathon when he was 59

I'm 63 and have chronic pain issues with my right thigh, sadly.

And I'm a fat old cunt...
Bugger off.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 30 Apr 2020, 10:02

This is real running. Every time I see it I still can't believe he's going to do it.

Bugger off.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 06 May 2020, 15:29

I spent the previous month doing a regular course that my hiking club does as a training run 3 times a week. It's 7.5km with a 450m ascent (To Hong Kong's famous Victoria Peak). I've never done it before because it's all paved which I don't like and also because I'm more an endurance guy rather than a short distance runner. Anyhow, I got out of my comfort zone and signed up to do it for a month. It took me 5 attempts to complete it under an hour which was my aim. It meant running flat out on all flat and downhill sections but to improve on that time I'll have to run up hill too....just too much in the summer heat that's now kicked in. To beat my record of 58 mins I think I'll leave it till next winter and revert back to my normal trails.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Jul 2020, 15:32

I have tentatively returned to running and am only doing it on soft ground and trails, as opposed to the road which fucked up my back. My favourite wildlife trail lends itself brilliantly to lonely early morning outings and due to the heat I am having to go earlier and earlier, but that way all the animals are just waking up and I get to say howdy. I’m doing the old run a bit walk a big thing which suits me much better than flat out running. I’ve ordered my first pair of ‘proper’ running shoes too - by ‘proper’ I mean ones that didn’t cost a fiver in the discount shop. We’ll see how it all goes!

Dr Markus wrote:

Return to “Sporting Life”