The BCB runners and walkers corner

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
fange
100% fangetastic

The BCB runners and walkers corner

Postby fange » 13 Aug 2015, 11:28

I know there are a few people around here who like to have a good run or walk, so thought it might be nice to set up a place where we can discuss any of the things that runners and walkers talk about - the places where you are going, what it's like, distances, preparation, equipment, problems, the music you listen to, who you might run/walk with, the things you think about and see while you are out and about, etc.
So if you have time, please drop a few thoughts here.

I'll kick off -

I try to go for at least a 5-kilometre run every day; it doesn't always work out that way due to work and family stuff, but it is a daily goal because I love trying to stay fit, which isn't that easy with the static life of a teacher.

I don't have a lot of parks around my apartment block, but there is one about 2 Ks from my place in Hong Kong called Kowloon Tsai Park...

...so I run along the roads till I get to the park. It's not great running along the sidewalks next to the busy roads, but I don't have any alternative. Once I get to Kowloon Tsai Park I do a couple of laps of the KT Sports Ground there, with Lion Rock mountain in the background...

Today was a cloudy day with scattered showers, but absolutely perfect for a run as the temperatures had dropped due to the rain and wind, and the air quality was quite good - not the usual nasty cocktail of air pollution mixed into 90%+ humidity.

Plus, running around the Park today was an extra joy, as it was the first time for this year that I saw some of the annual dragonfly swarms which come out after rainstorms in HK in late summer and early autumn. They are wonderful to watch - thousands of orange and red dragonflies zipping around in the air above you as you run along the tracks or on the paths between the trees. I turned my ipod volume right down - I had a mix of early REM tunes on at the time - and slowed down to a light jog, just enjoying feeling the wind on my skin and watching the dragonflies weaving bits of silver and grey sky together.

A very pleasant run.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

trans-chigley express

Re: The BCB runners and walkers corner

Postby trans-chigley express » 13 Aug 2015, 12:04

^^
In the bottom picture you can see the old chequered sign in the hillside which was a signal for pilots to turn right to the old Kai Tak airport.

I'm not a good runner and only ever do it on treadmills in the gym. I am a keen walker though and try and get at least one good walk a week in ranging from easy to hard depending on mood and time available. I'm lucky to live on an island with so much good walking right on my doorstep. last week's walk was easy so this week a harder one is lined up: about 28km with 1200m ascent starting from my home to the old fishing village of Tai O via the Big Buddha (I'm sure Ange knows these places). Hopefully it won't be too hot. A few piccies of the route:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 13 Aug 2015, 12:10

Good luck!

One day before i leave HK i'm gonna do that walk too.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

'skope
BCB poster of the year 2014

Postby 'skope » 13 Aug 2015, 12:25

nice idea for a thread, flange!

i'm a keen runner and average between 80-112km a week. my usual distance is 16km per day, but i sometimes do 12km or nothing at all! i DO run at least 5 days a week, though. i feel bad if i don't.

i'm lucky that i live at one end of the 'jardines de turia'. this is the river bed of the old turia river which ran through valencia and is now converted into gardens and takes in all the major sites of the city and more!. i run the full length and back again. it's not unusual to see a pandemonium of parrots some mornings. by the way, i'm very much a morning runner. wake-up, cup of coffee and i'm off!

i tend to listen to podcasts when i'm running, but if i don't have any to download, i prefer to run without noise and contemplate things. i see the same people most mornings and we all usually acknowledge each other. they've recently built a track especially for runners, but you still get cunts riding bikes on it, despite there being dedicated cycle lanes. needless to say, i've had a few run-ins with cyclists.

running is one of my passions, so i enjoy most of my runs.

cheers!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 13 Aug 2015, 12:31

Nice! Running past sites like that can keep your run interesting as every day is different, but yeah the cyclists must be a drag.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 13 Aug 2015, 12:55

'skope wrote: by the way, i'm very much a morning runner. wake-up, cup of coffee and i'm off!

I'm a early starter too, primarily to avoid the hottest part of the day, but can only do that when I'm on my own. One thing I could never do though is just have a coffee and go, I need a lot of energy before I could start anything - yoghurt, fruit, oatmeal, eggs, kippers are all part of breakfast before a hike and without it I'd get cramp quickly. I suppose running on a full stomach is not good but I'd need something I'm sure.

'skope wrote:they've recently built a track especially for runners, but you still get cunts riding bikes on it, despite there being dedicated cycle lanes. needless to say, i've had a few run-ins with cyclists.

It's the other way round near me with joggers on the cycle path. I've had some near collisions round blind bends with joggers on the wrong side of the track.

'skope

Postby 'skope » 13 Aug 2015, 13:15

trans-chigley express wrote:
'skope wrote: by the way, i'm very much a morning runner. wake-up, cup of coffee and i'm off!

I'm a early starter too, primarily to avoid the hottest part of the day, but can only do that when I'm on my own. One thing I could never do though is just have a coffee and go, I need a lot of energy before I could start anything - yoghurt, fruit, oatmeal, eggs, kippers are all part of breakfast before a hike and without it I'd get cramp quickly. I suppose running on a full stomach is not good but I'd need something I'm sure.

i think if i were going for a long hike, i'd probably have something to eat too. i really don't know what the recommendation is for runners. many eat energy bars and the like, but because i run at a fairly leisurely pace, i don't feel i need them. the coffee normally supplies enough kick!

i'm an early-bird, so find i have more energy in the morning. it really sets me up for the day, both physically and mentally. i just don't get the same buzz running later in the day.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 14 Aug 2015, 13:21

fange wrote:Good luck!

One day before i leave HK i'm gonna do that walk too.

We should do Lionrock sometime if I can get a half a day off work during school holidays. Too darn busy right now. The views from there are spectacular on clear days. About a 3 hour walk.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 14 Aug 2015, 19:16

I prefer off-road where possible. I did a run in the Scottish Highlands at the beginning of this month. Weather mixed but I'm used to that. I am deeply enamoured of my Salomon Speedcross trail shoes and would recommend them to anyone. :)
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

'skope

Postby 'skope » 14 Aug 2015, 19:21

i would whole-heartedly recommend the belfast half-marathon for those who can hack it. i ran my record time doing it!

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 14 Aug 2015, 20:51

trans-chigley express wrote:^^
In the bottom picture you can see the old chequered sign in the hillside which was a signal for pilots to turn right to the old Kai Tak airport.

I'm not a good runner and only ever do it on treadmills in the gym. I am a keen walker though and try and get at least one good walk a week in ranging from easy to hard depending on mood and time available. I'm lucky to live on an island with so much good walking right on my doorstep. last week's walk was easy so this week a harder one is lined up: about 28km with 1200m ascent starting from my home to the old fishing village of Tai O via the Big Buddha (I'm sure Ange knows these places). Hopefully it won't be too hot. A few piccies of the route:

I forgot to say earlier - fantastic pictures! And yes, a great thread idea from fange.
Nikki Gradual wrote:

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 14 Aug 2015, 22:07

'skope wrote:

i think if i were going for a long hike, i'd probably have something to eat too. i really don't know what the recommendation is for runners. many eat energy bars and the like, but because i run at a fairly leisurely pace, i don't feel i need them.

Ephedrine: If it's good enough for Maradona it's good enough for you!

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 14 Aug 2015, 22:09

Pseudoephedrine?
Nikki Gradual wrote:

'skope

Postby 'skope » 14 Aug 2015, 22:11

K wrote:Can cyclists join this conversation?

no.

'skope

Postby 'skope » 14 Aug 2015, 22:44

K wrote:I'm a member

i think we all know that.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 14 Aug 2015, 23:40

Belle Lettre wrote:I forgot to say earlier - fantastic pictures! And yes, a great thread idea from fange.

They're just pictures off the internet, not mine. I will try and take a few of my own to post.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 14 Aug 2015, 23:43

Belle Lettre wrote: I am deeply enamoured of my Salomon Speedcross trail shoes and would recommend them to anyone. :)

I was going to ask about shoes and as many of my hikes are more suited to trail shoes than hiking boots, especially if I'm with a pacey group, I may well look at a pair of these.

'skope

Postby 'skope » 14 Aug 2015, 23:51

i'm very happy to give tips on running shoes and accessories. i've learnt the hard way!

'skope

Postby 'skope » 15 Aug 2015, 00:10

K wrote:I'm a member of a large cycling club. We'll do a good 60 mile ride each week. Cycling in a group is a skill you need to learn, but once you do it means you can go that little bit further. I live about a mile from work but when I ride in I usually do 9-10 miles. Did 30 miles on the way home yesterday, with a quick stop at Jodrell Bank.

seriously, start your own thread K. we don't give a damn about your cycling exploits.

this thread is for the runners and hikers who actually make an effort to keep fit and healthy., without needing a machine to blow our trumpets.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 15 Aug 2015, 06:16

Belle Lettre wrote: I am deeply enamoured of my Salomon Speedcross trail shoes and would recommend them to anyone. :)

I was going to ask about shoes and as many of my hikes are more suited to trail shoes than hiking boots, especially if I'm with a pacey group, I may well look at a pair of these.

Nice, aren't they.. :) :
For road running I have gone back to the trusty Asics Gel-Kayano which have always done me very well. No running today, however; we are off to the Lakes for hill-walking. I'll probably wear the Salomons rather than boots, though, since the weather is good.
Last edited by Belle Lettre on 15 Aug 2015, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Return to “Sporting Life”