The BCB runners and walkers corner

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
`

Re: The BCB runners and walkers corner

Postby ` » 16 Jul 2020, 07:15

trans-chigley express wrote:I spent the previous month doing a regular course that my hiking club does as a training run 3 times a week. It's 7.5km with a 450m ascent (To Hong Kong's famous Victoria Peak). I've never done it before because it's all paved which I don't like and also because I'm more an endurance guy rather than a short distance runner. Anyhow, I got out of my comfort zone and signed up to do it for a month. It took me 5 attempts to complete it under an hour which was my aim. It meant running flat out on all flat and downhill sections but to improve on that time I'll have to run up hill too....just too much in the summer heat that's now kicked in. To beat my record of 58 mins I think I'll leave it till next winter and revert back to my normal trails.

The big question is how far can you run/walk in 39 minutes?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Jul 2020, 05:20

Sam Stone wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:I spent the previous month doing a regular course that my hiking club does as a training run 3 times a week. It's 7.5km with a 450m ascent (To Hong Kong's famous Victoria Peak). I've never done it before because it's all paved which I don't like and also because I'm more an endurance guy rather than a short distance runner. Anyhow, I got out of my comfort zone and signed up to do it for a month. It took me 5 attempts to complete it under an hour which was my aim. It meant running flat out on all flat and downhill sections but to improve on that time I'll have to run up hill too....just too much in the summer heat that's now kicked in. To beat my record of 58 mins I think I'll leave it till next winter and revert back to my normal trails.

Why 39 mins? what's that magic number?

`

Postby ` » 21 Jul 2020, 19:44

trans-chigley express wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:

It’s a joke friends in HK have shared about going out running - 39 minutes being the time the HK police took to respond to calls when triad thugs set about people in Yuen Long MTR during last year’s demos,

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 22 Jul 2020, 05:23

Sam Stone wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:

It’s a joke friends in HK have shared about going out running - 39 minutes being the time the HK police took to respond to calls when triad thugs set about people in Yuen Long MTR during last year’s demos,

It's safe to say I can run a hell of a lot further in 39 mins than the HK police can manage in a vehicle.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Jul 2020, 15:30

I went on my first run in decent running shoes this morning. It was fucking fantastic. I felt like I could have kept going till I reached the Golden Gate Bridge!

Is this my ‘running turning point’ ???
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 30 Jul 2020, 05:46

Minnie the Minx wrote:I went on my first run in decent running shoes this morning. It was fucking fantastic. I felt like I could have kept going till I reached the Golden Gate Bridge!

Do you think the difference was down to the running shoes or your fitness levels had improved more than you realised? I do think having proper shoes for the task help a lot.

I use a number of different footwear depending on what I'm doing. For regular hiking I like something grippy (I use North Face as a rule), for fast hikes and trail running I like something very lightweight with a little grip but not too much as it can cause you to stumble at pace (Hoka are ideal). For stream trekking I need VERY grippy rubber-soled footwear that feel comfortable when soaking wet (5-10s, with soles made from care tyre rubber and thin mesh uppers that don't soak up water and get heavy). I don't do flat running on hard surface but if I did it would be well worth getting something ideally suited to that style.

I don't believe in spending a lot on footwear though. I buy my Hoka at warehouse sales where they get rid of old models at dirt cheap prices. Hoka don't last long so it's definitely not worth spending a lot on them, but they are very comfortable. I get North Face a lot as there is a outlet near my home that often have really good deals.
Last edited by trans-chigley express on 31 Jul 2020, 05:31, edited 1 time in total.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 30 Jul 2020, 05:58

btw I kept promising to post pics of my Mt Blanc trek but never got round to it but I did compile a video montage of photos I took on the trek each day and posted on Youtube (on a friend's channel, I don't have my own), so if anyone is bored enough feel free to check these out. My brother did some original music for it, along with some other suitable mood music by well known artists.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Aug 2020, 22:42

Minnie the Minx wrote:I went on my first run in decent running shoes this morning. It was fucking fantastic. I felt like I could have kept going till I reached the Golden Gate Bridge!

Do you think the difference was down to the running shoes or your fitness levels had improved more than you realised? I do think having proper shoes for the task help a lot.

I use a number of different footwear depending on what I'm doing. For regular hiking I like something grippy (I use North Face as a rule), for fast hikes and trail running I like something very lightweight with a little grip but not too much as it can cause you to stumble at pace (Hoka are ideal). For stream trekking I need VERY grippy rubber-soled footwear that feel comfortable when soaking wet (5-10s, with soles made from care tyre rubber and thin mesh uppers that don't soak up water and get heavy). I don't do flat running on hard surface but if I did it would be well worth getting something ideally suited to that style.

I don't believe in spending a lot on footwear though. I buy my Hoka at warehouse sales where they get rid of old models at dirt cheap prices. Hoka don't last long so it's definitely not worth spending a lot on them, but they are very comfortable. I get North Face a lot as there is a outlet near my home that often have really good deals.

Oh it was definitely a shoe thing. The difference was unbelievable. Like walking in concrete boots v walking on little trampolines.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 18 Aug 2020, 05:49

Minnie the Minx wrote:

Oh it was definitely a shoe thing. The difference was unbelievable. Like walking in concrete boots v walking on little trampolines.

This reminds me of when I was a teenager just getting in to hiking and my dad bought me a pair of stiff, heavy army boots from the Army and Navy Store because if they were "good enough for the British army they were good enough for me". I persevered for ages with these damn things, they were heavy as hell, had soles seemingly made from steel, were extremely uncomfortable, not remotely waterproof and no amount of dubbing and "wearing in" could soften them and make them even approaching comfortable. I constantly had blisters and painful feet and didn't enjoy hiking in them at all so eventually I told my dad that these treasured boots he bought for my birthday were simply not working out for me. He said to me: "oh you should get a pair like mine" and showed me his new beautifully comfy 100 quid lightweight Gortex boots that he'd bought for himself. I saved up my money and as soon as I could I bought some decent boots and the difference was like night and day and I never looked back (or asked my cheapskate dad to buy me anything ever again).

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 28 Aug 2020, 13:59

Why does no one tell you how painfully crap plantar fasciitis is :(

I never had this sort of shit when I was a porker
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 01 Oct 2020, 15:04

I’ve got back into running a bit with the aid of stretching like there’s no tomorrow. I have to stretch before, after, and randomly during the day. I understand why it’s important as you get older but ffs!

Anyway, I’ve got a fucking yoga mat ordered. My doc has told me that I need to do less poundy poundy stuff and more stretchy lifty stuff so here we fucking go.

Dr Markus wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 05 Oct 2020, 00:23

Minnie the Minx wrote:I’ve got back into running a bit with the aid of stretching like there’s no tomorrow. I have to stretch before, after, and randomly during the day. I understand why it’s important as you get older but ffs!

It's a fact of life as you get older. I've had to increase the stretching I do a LOT over the years (I'm 52 now). Before, during and after. Before is particularly important as I'm very prone to cramp, especially in heat and preventing it is vital as once it kicks in it's really hard to shake it off. Stretching and hydration (with plenty of electrolytes. not just water) are two key things to keep it bay.

Thankfully I have kept largely injury free over the years, and the stretching is a big part of preventing injury.
I avoid hard paving as much as possible too as it really pounds on the knees. I try to keep to dirt trails as much as I can.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Oct 2020, 20:08

Yes, I know you're right, and I do feel the difference for it. This morning I tried the old running at a very slow pace and then doing thirty seconds of really intense sprinting and usually I feel sore as hell, but after a weekend of yoga and stretching today I can really feel the difference.

Dr Markus wrote:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 20 Oct 2020, 03:07

Spent a long weekend up in Lake Placid. The last day got to hike where the leaves were peaking.
Hiked up Owls Head Mountain, NY an easy 3 mile hike but worth it for the views.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 14 Nov 2020, 04:43

Hightea wrote:Spent a long weekend up in Lake Placid. The last day got to hike where the leaves were peaking.
Hiked up Owls Head Mountain, NY an easy 3 mile hike but worth it for the views.

Lovely pics.

Return to “Sporting Life”