England Cricket Team Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Re: England Cricket Team Thread

Postby andymacandy » 31 Aug 2019, 07:26

Tomahawk Kid wrote:I see that Jimmy Anderson has now been ruled out of the final 2 tests with a calf injury. In a way I'm kind of thankful as I had this fear that they would bring him back before he was totally ready and then him go and get injured after 4 overs again. At least the uncertainty has now gone.

I wonder if we will see England's highest wicket taker play Test cricket again?

Its got to be a doubt. He needs a long spell of county cricket to prove he's back up to full fitness, and he wont get that until next season now.
With the options England have available now, even Englands finest isn't a risk we have to take any more.
Bless the weather.......Image

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Aug 2019, 07:54

andymacandy wrote:
Tomahawk Kid wrote:I see that Jimmy Anderson has now been ruled out of the final 2 tests with a calf injury. In a way I'm kind of thankful as I had this fear that they would bring him back before he was totally ready and then him go and get injured after 4 overs again. At least the uncertainty has now gone.

Its got to be a doubt. He needs a long spell of county cricket to prove he's back up to full fitness, and he wont get that until next season now.
With the options England have available now, even Englands finest isn't a risk we have to take any more.

It's a shame that Jimmy isn't going to bow out in a home Ashes series, but I'm glad they've not taken a chance with him breaking down again.

Now the interesting question is if they stick with Woakes, or maybe think about introducing someone like Curran (who some people really seem to like in the England camp).
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 31 Aug 2019, 08:10

Diamond Dog wrote:
andymacandy wrote:

It's a shame that Jimmy isn't going to bow out in a home Ashes series, but I'm glad they've not taken a chance with him breaking down again.

Now the interesting question is if they stick with Woakes, or maybe think about introducing someone like Curran (who some people really seem to like in the England camp).

I believe that both Woakes and Curren have healthier batting averages than some of the top order. Michael Vaughan has been (semi-seriously) suggesting that Woakes would make a better 3 or 4 than some, and still contribute to the bowling.
I doubt they will change the bowling line up, but they really need to put some steel into the batting. The freedom that is encouraged by Morgan in the short game is doing them serious damage in the test team.
Bless the weather.......Image

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 31 Aug 2019, 09:29

Speaking of Morgan - did you see his 83 off 29 balls last night?

Middx chased down 228 with 3 overs to spare!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Aug 2019, 09:36

andymacandy wrote: Michael Vaughan has been (semi-seriously) suggesting that Woakes would make a better 3 or 4 than some, and still contribute to the bowling.

Michael Vaughan seems to talk mostly shit these days, doesn't he?

Has he not seen Woakes the last Test or two - sticking his bat out like a frightened rabbit in the headlights?

Don't get me wrong - some of the top order (particularly Roy, Burns and Buttler) are certainly fighting for their places. But I cannot seriously believe anyone can be suggesting Woakes moving up the order is the answer.
Cocaine

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 05 Sep 2019, 19:57

Well England are not going to win this one now, I'm quite confidently predicting.

So come on, what's the secret to getting Smith out then?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 05 Sep 2019, 22:38

Tomahawk Kid wrote:
So come on, what's the secret to getting Smith out then?

Getting him to play a rash shot.
And of course not getting no-balls and sticking the catch to begin with.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 06 Sep 2019, 06:47

Archer and Stokes both shadows of the bowlers we saw earlier in the series.

What a surprise. Overbowl them as Root did and the effects are crippling.

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 06 Sep 2019, 19:53

I wish England had a real quality spinner to hold up one end whilst rotating the quicks at the other end.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Sep 2019, 20:22

They're just a lot better than we are.
Cocaine

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 07 Sep 2019, 20:33

Not really.

They are a Smith better than we are.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 07 Sep 2019, 20:34

Which I suppose also means they are a lot better than we are. ;)

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 24 Nov 2019, 14:43

Amazing stats....

Since the start of the tour to India in 2016, England have bowled in excess of 100 overs in the opposition's first innings 15 times out of 19.

In that period, they have, on average, taken 132 overs to bowl out the opposition.

They have also now conceded more than 600 on five occasions in the last 16 first innings of Test matches.

Just wow.

And :o

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 24 Nov 2019, 15:07

As to the question, who do we replace him with....?

I really don’t know. Hopefully the management and senior players will know who would be a good fit, who has sufficient respect, leadership qualities, maturity and coolness under pressure to take it on.

I would not have seen Stokes as a leader (except by deed) until the last year when the way he operated under the biggest pressure a player can face was startlingly impressive... and on several occasions. His game management and clear thinking in those situations suggests he might actually have what it takes. However, I am not convinced his role should be changed from the “by deeds” leader.

In which case maybe Broad short-term with Burns / Buttler on watch.

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 04 Dec 2019, 20:12

Sad news about Bob Willis passing away today aged 70. On his day he was a superb bowler and who could ever forget his heroics at Headingly in 1981.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/50655612

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Dec 2019, 09:38

Jimmy takes a wicket with the 1st ball of the game but it’s been pretty average bowling from England this morning.

The Centurion pitch is notoriously difficult on Day 4 and 5 so we really need to get a decent lead and would surely have hoped for a better start than this.

64-2 off 21 currently.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Dec 2019, 22:22

Good stuff from the batsmen so far in this improbable chase but Jesus Christ what a fcuking rabble the bowlers are.

Absolutely pathetic and inexcusable performance this morning.

WTAF are Anderson and Broad doing if not helping guide the tactics out there?

A major overhaul is required.

I’d love to know what the little fracas this morning was when Stokes exchanged strong words with Broad and others looked on somewhat shocked / embarrassed.

Burns is developing his presence quietly. I’ve seen him on a number of occasions talking to the younger players on the pitch. If they decide captaincy would be too much for Stokes to take on then I think Burns will be next in line but whatever, I don’t care how ill he was today, Root HAS to go.

It doesn’t matter what happens tomorrow, this has been going on for years.

Australia, New Zealand, Windies, South Africa have all got consistently more out of the new ball and bowled with greater intelligence than we have in the last year.

There is something wrong with the team (not just illness) and it comes from the top. Tough call but for me, although they could have another year left, it is time for Anderson and Broad to go and let the youngsters step up and assume the responsibility. It doesn’t matter how many wickets they have taken in the past they are holding back progress and contributing nothing, as evidenced this morning, to the leadership.

Next summer....

Burns (c)
Sibley
Denly
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes (wk)
Curran
Woakes
Archer
Leach (nw!)

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 02 Jan 2020, 19:17

Rory Burns injured playing football and misses the rest of the tour. :( Just what we needed.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 07 Jan 2020, 16:24

Wow!

It’s certainly a rollercoaster experience watching England.

It’s an emotional thing when Test Cricket comes down to the last few overs. Quite brilliant.

Ben Stokes - what a Man!

And that catch by Crawley - stunning!

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 07 Jan 2020, 20:15

Apparently Jos Buttler was caught on TV calling Vernon Philander a "fucking knobhead" :lol: Much hand wringing and apologising by Sky. Love it!

Return to “Sporting Life”