BCB England football team thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: BCB England football team thread

Postby Penk! » 25 Mar 2019, 20:14

Aaaand just in case we were getting carried away, Michael Keane is there to remind us that in the England national team, one should never take for granted that highly-paid and -trained professional footballers deemed their country’s best will actually look like they’ve seen a ball before. Embarrassing defending.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 25 Mar 2019, 20:16

My plan worked!
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 25 Mar 2019, 21:44

Hudson Odoi has a lot of talent but as to be expected I suppose he is very naive.

Disappointed that he was so reluctant to take on the full back. Had loads of good ball in good positions in the 2nd half but was just content to lay it off every time.

If he ever gets a club game he should have a good career but I’m not entirely convinced in the way I am with Sancho.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Mar 2019, 06:45

Rice was my MOTM. Love the way he waits for the moment to challenge an opponent and then cleanly nicks the ball and lays it off. Always in space, big, strong and calm.

Beckenbaueresque.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 26 Mar 2019, 07:56

England were good again last night although the defence was shakier. No idea why Rose, who is not getting a game at Spurs and frequently looks a liability, came in for Chilwell, while Keane looked wobbly.

The opposition so far hasn't been great but as with Friday, previous England teams would have ground turgidly to a victory (indeed, they've drawn on their two previous visits to Podgorica) and the way they calmed themselves down and got on with thrashing the opposition after going behind spoke volumes about their confidence and smartness.

It will be interesting to see what happens when England come up against better teams in tournaments now, as I doubt that midfield will be able to control possession and matches, but the Spain game last autumn suggests they now believe they can beat anyone. This attack could take anyone apart on the counter.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 26 Mar 2019, 07:59

The racism is unfortunately not surprising in that part of the world and it will continue as long as UEFA punish Montenegro with, as I expect, a fine amounting to one player's weekly wage. They should have a serious scale for these offences. For example:

First offence: hefty fine
Second offence: heftier fine and next game played behind closed doors
Third offence: heftier fine and all games played behind closed doors for next qualifying competition
Fourth offence: nation disqualified from next qualifying competition

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 26 Mar 2019, 12:02

Did you watch the same game Rother? Hudson-Odoi roasted Montenegro after switching to the left flank. Reminded me of Arjen Robben.

Yes, it is only Montenegro, but to do that at 18...

I'd put him ahead of Sancho, particularly with his crossing, at the moment.

The only player who looks out of sorts is Dele Alli, who really needs to get some form soon. Otherwise, a solid performance that highlights the fact that England very much look like a proper team.

I was thinking the other day that we have not had a decent England side playing this well for probably over 2 decades. I wonder whether Man Uniteds ascendancy under Ferguson had anything to do with this at all; Ryan Giggs talks about how they hated Arsenal in the late 90s with an absolute passion - I suspect that given the large number of United players with England from the 90s onwards until Rooney at the end, there obviously were cliques of clubs that must have had a significant impact on the squad and morale. That competitiveness between say United and Chelsea under Mourinho for example.

Now we have an England squad with a more cosmopolitan mix of clubs. In fact no United players at all for the last two games...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Mar 2019, 13:11

Toby wrote:Did you watch the same game Rother? Hudson-Odoi roasted Montenegro after switching to the left flank. Reminded me of Arjen Robben.

Yes, it is only Montenegro, but to do that at 18...

I'd put him ahead of Sancho, particularly with his crossing, at the moment.

Sancho has been one of the best players in the Bundesliga for the last year, C-HO has yet to start a game for Chelsea - it's ridiculous to suggest he's ahead of Sancho.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 26 Mar 2019, 13:24

I thought he was hugely impressive last night personally given his age.

I don't think it's "ridiculous" - Sancho has been superb for Dortmund and played very well against the Czechs, but they're both huge talents. If I was the coach, I'd personally prefer CHO over JS in that RW or LW slot.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Mar 2019, 13:29

Toby wrote:I thought he was hugely impressive last night personally given his age.

I don't think it's "ridiculous" - Sancho has been superb for Dortmund and played very well against the Czechs, but they're both huge talents. If I was the coach, I'd personally prefer CHO over JS in that RW or LW slot.

You're making a statement based on one game..get some perspective.

CHO was very impressive and deserves a lot of praise, but so was Sancho the other day against the Czechs and he's been doing it all season in a demanding league, which for an 18 year old is remarkable.

borofan

Postby borofan » 26 Mar 2019, 18:15

Lord Rother wrote:Rice was my MOTM. Love the way he waits for the moment to challenge an opponent and then cleanly nicks the ball and lays it off. Always in space, big, strong and calm.

Beckenbaueresque.

I'd take him ahead of the distinctly average Dier anytime.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 27 Mar 2019, 17:20

Beckenbauresque is rather pushing it frankly.
But let's just say he's doing a very convincing impression of Sergio Busquets , which is something England have needed for a long time. I agree about Dier. He's always looked like a centre-half playing in midfield to me. Too immobile and he doesn't really control the game with his passing.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Jun 2019, 05:44

There's a whole world of difference between 'playing with confidence' to being 'too fucking smart for my own good'.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 07 Jun 2019, 07:01

That was a worryingly poor performance last night.

I don’t want to knee-jerk on this and I suppose 3 weeks without a game might be a factor, but it looks to me like we’ve been rumbled already. Yes, I love the fact that we try to play out from the back but too many players have catastrophic mistakes in their lockers just waiting to be forced out. Press hard and the opposition know it’ll come. Probably several times on the evidence of last night.

I’ll single out one player who has to be phased out (brutally / immediately imo) from both England and his club side as he ain’t good enough for either, and that is Walker.

And if we keep playing without a creative central midfielder we will eventually become dour and stagnant. Foden is the one I suppose.

And why do our wide players seem so reluctant to 1. Take a player on, and 2. Cross the ball while on the run?

And, and, and....

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 Jun 2019, 08:02

Horrendous defending on both sides though. I thought England could have closed it out otherwise.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Jun 2019, 13:07

Lord Rother wrote:And if we keep playing without a creative central midfielder we will eventually become dour and stagnant. Foden is the one I suppose.

Foden doesn't play enough football for City yet. He might be the one in years to come, but I'm of the opinion you should only pick players who are playing regularly. Unfortunately, right now, England doesn't have an overwhelming number of world-class creative midfielders. Our best hope, as someone who actually plays football, seems to be James Maddison, who might be worth a shout. After him... I think we're looking down towards Bournemouth and David Brooks. No offence to either, they're certainly talented players, but the prospect doesn't yet set my pulse racing.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Qube

Postby Qube » 07 Jun 2019, 16:49

Brooks is Welsh, I think.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Jun 2019, 21:45

Ah, bugger. Just Maddison then.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 09 Jun 2019, 17:51

I have watched a fair bit of Women’s football over the years but am gobsmacked at how good the England Scotland game is.

England have been terrific in the 1st half.

borofan

Postby borofan » 10 Jun 2019, 18:18

Lord Rother wrote:I have watched a fair bit of Women’s football over the years but am gobsmacked at how good the England Scotland game is.

England have been terrific in the 1st half.

And bloody awful in the 2nd.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Return to “Sporting Life”