The Spurs Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: The Spurs Thread

Postby Lord Rother » 03 Nov 2021, 22:27

And I don’t think Kane and Conte is a match made in heaven.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 04 Nov 2021, 07:47

I don't know - I saw Arsenal absolutely thrash Chelsea when he was in charge. For the next game he tweaked the formation, and Chelsea then won their next 6 or something, and went on to win the league. Spurs have some decent players - I expect a couple of games while he works out what is going on, then a strong run. Spurs might even collect a trophy - that European one, say. And frankly the top of the league is really quite tight.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 01 Jan 2023, 10:49

There's a "fan's view" article on the Guardian website where a fan is asked (among other things) about their club's best ever signing. The Spurs fan picks Roberto Soldado, on the basis that if he hadn't been quite so crap, Kane would not have been accelerated into the first team! :D :D
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 01 Jan 2023, 18:55

Spurs fans must be hurting right now. Arsenal running away with the league, them, despite having had the North London bragging rights for the last 5 or 6 years, still without a trophy.

I wonder whether Kane will ever get a move to a big club capable of winning things. Or has his time passed?

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 01 Jan 2023, 20:21

Lord Rother wrote:Spurs fans must be hurting right now. Arsenal running away with the league, them, despite having had the North London bragging rights for the last 5 or 6 years, still without a trophy.

I wonder whether Kane will ever get a move to a big club capable of winning things. Or has his time passed?

He is still an excellent striker. The problem, as for the last 20 years, is Levy, that allegedly canny businessman who squandered the Bale money, who will demand far too high a price for him. Why would City buy him when they have Haaland? He should do a Sol and move to Arsenal. But I think he still has several years on his contract.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 02 Jan 2023, 09:47

Man Utd?

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 02 Jan 2023, 10:16

Lord Rother wrote:Man Utd?

May as well stay at Spurs. Newcastle would be more like it.
He may have to go abroad for trophies. Or Scotland.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Jan 2023, 10:17

Just thought it was about time an actual Spurs fan commented.
Sorry, Bob, but this particular Spurs fan isn't hurting at all, although yesterday's game was disappointing. Everything's fine as far as I'm concerned, although the fall-out over the death of Gian Piero Ventrone and the nonsense in Qatar has effectively torpedoed this season: another top-four finish would be quite an achievement, as it would mean two out of Man City, Man U, Liverpool, Newcastle and Arsenal - all of whom are currently better placed - failing to get into the Champions League. If they get their three best young players - Kulusevski, Bentancur and Romero - fit and in form by Valentine's Day, they stand a reasonable chance of getting past AC Milan into the last eight of the ECL.
The club has thrived over Levy: the stadium is worth two or three cups and post-Covid should start to increase revenue. While not accusing anyone her of this, I can't help but feel that a lot of the hatred directed against Levy, Brown and ENIC - which is always about them not spending enough money and being niggardly and miserly is rooted firmly in anti-Jewish sentiments and tropes.
I have no idea how long Conte will stay at the club; think that Kane will end his career there (the lack of tin pots may just be mitigated by his various golden boots, and being the top goalscorer for his country, his boyhood club, and - probably - the Premier League; and don't expect them to add many, if any, 'trophies' to the haul of two league titles, three European trophies, six FA cups and four league cups they have won in my (admittedly fairly long) lifetime before I die: but I long ago gave up fretting about all of that, and just sit back and watch things unfold in all their messy majesty, game by game.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 02 Jan 2023, 15:49

Under Poch Spurs were brilliant to watch, until the last few months when it all seemed to fall apart.

The choice of managers since then has been so UnSpurs like which is a shame really. Sure, they are guaranteed to produce some “antics” but you are very unlikely to get decent football under Mourinho and Conte.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Jan 2023, 16:40

Lord Rother wrote:Under Poch Spurs were brilliant to watch, until the last few months when it all seemed to fall apart.

The choice of managers since then has been so UnSpurs like which is a shame really. Sure, they are guaranteed to produce some “antics” but you are very unlikely to get decent football under Mourinho and Conte.

You might get some trophies though......
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Jan 2023, 16:45

Lord Rother wrote:I wonder whether Kane will ever get a move to a big club capable of winning things. Or has his time passed?

Don't rule out the possibility that Man City come back in for him. If ever a guy was a Guardiola player, it's Kane. He is the best 'thinker' in England colours, with a game that makes him home equally as a centre forward or dropping back and playing as a creative midfield player. I've long said he's the best English passer of a ball. I think Grealish's time at Man City is probably coming to an end and that transfer will more than pay for Kane. And he'd be a lot more use to Guardiola than Grealish has been the past two seasons, for certain. I reckon it's still a possibility.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 24 Apr 2023, 17:44

How not to run a football club.

Return to “Sporting Life”