West Ham United FC

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Re: West Ham United FC

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 02 Sep 2015, 20:40

PENK wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
PENK wrote:I've read a couple of pundits suggesting that many teams are becoming more effective away from home because the counter is such a valuable weapon in modern football.

It's hardly a new tactic!

No but it seems a lot of teams have refined it more following the lead of the Bayern and Dortmund sides of a few years ago. A more strategic, incisive and creative variant.

And why the away goals rule is outmoded.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 02 Sep 2015, 22:29

Antonio was brilliant in the one season he had at Forest, a high-scoring winger. If he stays fit, he will be a great signing for the Hammers. I sincerely hope he does well in the Premier League. But he has past issues with fitness.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 03 Sep 2015, 07:37

The Modernist wrote:
Toby wrote:Busy deadline day - Moses, Song, Jelavic and Antonio. I think Jelavic might do a handy job under Bilic - he's one of those players who can grab goals, but can understand why many thought it was a bit of an underwhelming signing. .

His goalscoring record in the prem is poor and it's a poor signing.

£3 million for an international striker with proven Prem experience is what it is. There's not much about in that position for that price - we were looking at a Turkish striker who scored a lot of goals in the CL last season but would they be able to adjust to the Prem.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Sep 2015, 09:56

I think he's a decent stop gap if things go wrong there. As you say, £3 million today is sweet fuck all, in reality.

I thought West Ham had a very good transfer window - maybe the best in the whol of the Prem.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 03 Sep 2015, 10:17

In terms of squad depth and money spent, I think Gold and Sullivan have done really well.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 03 Sep 2015, 18:50

Toby wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Toby wrote:Busy deadline day - Moses, Song, Jelavic and Antonio. I think Jelavic might do a handy job under Bilic - he's one of those players who can grab goals, but can understand why many thought it was a bit of an underwhelming signing. .

His goalscoring record in the prem is poor and it's a poor signing.

£3 million for an international striker with proven Prem experience is what it is. There's not much about in that position for that price - we were looking at a Turkish striker who scored a lot of goals in the CL last season but would they be able to adjust to the Prem.

Has Jelavic adjusted to the prem? We've already seen what he can do -not much.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 03 Sep 2015, 21:00

He scored a few goals for Everton when he arrived.

I'm not saying he's a great player. But for £3 million and having worked with Bilic at international level the move makes sense from a squad perspective.

If we were spending £7 or £8 million then it would be different, but there's not exactly much in terms of risk with it.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 04 Sep 2015, 10:24

The Modernist wrote:Has Jelavic adjusted to the prem? We've already seen what he can do -not much.

Twice as many goals as Danny Welbeck last season despite playing for a team that went down.

He'll get six or seven goals as a backup striker and that's what West Ham have bought him for.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 04 Sep 2015, 12:37

Yeah stop handing out the criticisms when you bought Danny "I only score for England and I'm injured most of the time" Welbeck for 5 times the amount!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Sep 2015, 12:47

Toby wrote:Yeah stop handing out the criticisms when you bought Danny "I only score for England and I'm injured most of the time" Welbeck for 5 times the amount!

:lol:

And Diaby!
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 14 Sep 2015, 22:06

Solid victory over an uninspiring Newcastle. Payet and Moses outstanding.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 20 Sep 2015, 09:15

Having seen Payet a couple of times now over the course of 90 minutes, I'm stunned that no other club was interested in him! He's been outstanding so far - physically impressive, very skilful and full of pace. He's transformed our attacking potential.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 20 Nov 2015, 17:40

At times such as these, I miss ’skope
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 22 Nov 2015, 13:02

http://www.dearmrlevy.com/dml/2015/11/1 ... ing-rights

Interesting stuff from Spooky, who more or less nails the oddly unequal 'rivalry' between Spurs and Wham

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 22 Nov 2015, 14:05

I wouldn't be surprised if Tottenham win 3-0 today, but on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if we won 2-0 either. Bilic will set up us defensively very well, especially with Reid back to fitness, yet without Payet I wonder whether we have the ability to win against what is clearly a very good Tottenham side. Good times for both sides in fairness.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 22 Nov 2015, 14:59

Toby wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Tottenham win 3-0 today, but on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if we won 2-0 either. Bilic will set up us defensively very well, especially with Reid back to fitness, yet without Payet I wonder whether we have the ability to win against what is clearly a very good Tottenham side. Good times for both sides in fairness.

Totally agree on all points, but I think the absence of Payet will probably be key.

Shoe Horn

Postby Shoe Horn » 29 Apr 2016, 17:48

Superb season, brilliant team. Bilic has proven to be a marvel. Dignity, honesty, entertaining football.

Up the 'ammers!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Apr 2016, 21:19

Shit, skope's back.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Jul 2016, 12:44

An overdue but welcome tribute to the great Sir Bobby Moore.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36885602
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 05 Aug 2016, 12:51

So West Ham have played their first game at their new home. Some thoughts at WestHamtillIdie

https://www.westhamtillidie.com/posts/2 ... r-new-home

I scoured a few comments pages from various sites about first perspectives on the new stadium. A lot commented on the atmosphere, which most thought was pretty good considering that it's new etc. Some didn't like it understandably, given that it's a lot more spacious and "modern" compared to the dense, cramped conditions at the Boleyn. It'll be interesting to see how the first few games pan out in the Premiership, but I'm hopeful that it'll be more intense than the Emirates.

Return to “Sporting Life”