The Reading FC Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Re: The Reading FC Thread

Postby The Red Heifer » 04 Feb 2013, 05:36

It was looking incredibly shaky until we shifted formation and shored up the back. Get a few good performances in and the confidence comes back and here we are. Akpan is a fucking great buy for his price.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 04 Feb 2013, 09:50

When you look at what's happening around us, it's nearly incomprehensible that Reading's biggest transfer fee paid is £2.5m for Emerse Fae in 2007.

Apollo's Frock

Postby Apollo's Frock » 04 Feb 2013, 09:53

The Red Heifer wrote:Akpan is a fucking great buy for his price.

I don't think Millwall could afford a bedpan. Ended up with Rob Hulse. Anyway well done Royals on another three points.

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 05 Feb 2013, 10:28

Lord Rother wrote:When you look at what's happening around us, it's nearly incomprehensible that Reading's biggest transfer fee paid is £2.5m for Emerse Fae in 2007.

What about Pogrebnyak (sp?)

Reading are on a great run just now, I hope it continues and that they stay up. I've a lot of time for McDerrmott.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 06 Feb 2013, 12:13

Pog was a free agent so no fee.

(Although, tbf, one would imagine he may have received a little signing on fee himself!)

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 06 Feb 2013, 14:36

Excellent!!! :D

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 10 Mar 2013, 11:01

All over now. Losing at home to Wigan and Villa, to be swiftly followed by trips to Old Trafford and The Emirates = curtains.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 10 Mar 2013, 18:33

Lord Rother wrote:All over now. Losing at home to Wigan and Villa, to be swiftly followed by trips to Old Trafford and The Emirates = curtains.

Afraid so. Oh well.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Qube

Postby Qube » 11 Mar 2013, 17:39

McDermott sacked...

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 11 Mar 2013, 19:13

Qube wrote:McDermott sacked...

Yup.
Premiership demise confirmed on Saturday. Dignity demise confirmed today.
It's not exactly a surprise, but if you are going to do it, why do it after the transfer window has closed and with no further investment anyway?
I applauded them for sticking with BMcD pre-Christmas, but whatever shred of decency that showed has gone now. This sacking simply won't make any difference except to lose someone we are going to desperately need to manage us in the Championship next season, to show up the owner as a desperate get-rich-quick Premiership groupie and lose the little admiration Reading was earning from other clubs for at least being loyal and decent in its decline.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Apollo's Frock

Postby Apollo's Frock » 11 Mar 2013, 20:14

Dodgy run-in too.

Southampton, QPR, both Manchester clubs.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 12 Mar 2013, 06:40

Nikki Gradual wrote:I applauded them for sticking with BMcD pre-Christmas, but whatever shred of decency that showed has gone now. This sacking simply won't make any difference except to lose someone we are going to desperately need to manage us in the Championship next season, to show up the owner as a desperate get-rich-quick Premiership groupie and lose the little admiration Reading was earning from other clubs for at least being loyal and decent in its decline.

Yes.
With owners like the ones at Reading and Southampton, achieving promotion to the Premiership actually becomes a poisoned chalice.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 12 Mar 2013, 07:54

Nikki Gradual wrote:
Qube wrote:McDermott sacked...

Yup.
Premiership demise confirmed on Saturday. Dignity demise confirmed today.

It gets worse: Paolo Di Canio is favourite to get the job.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Mar 2013, 09:33

If Madejski has any say whatsoever it won't be Di Canio of that I am certain.

I am very sad but you have to be honest that defeats at home to Wigan and Villa were a pretty firm indication that McDermott was not going to keep the team up.

Zingarevich has done absolutely nothing in the last year or so to indicate that he is anything other than a decent chap, and loyal to his manager. I think we should hold fire in our condemnation of him until a little dust has settled and maybe we get to hear his reasoning.

My bet would be Owen Coyle. A likeable and talented manager, I have no idea why he hasn't got another job since leaving Bolton.

Spec

Postby Spec » 12 Mar 2013, 09:44

They need someone who is a stabling, calming influence not Di Canio. And not sure about Di Matteo either.

Owen Coyle is an interesting idea although I think Nigel Adkins might get it.

Phil Parkinson would be a popular choice, wouldn't he?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Mar 2013, 10:12

See, if I was looking at a guy to galvanise the squad and get wins now - I'd choose Di Canio. I really would. He may not be a long term solution but he is a proven winner and could get the necessary results quickly.

I think Atkins is the likely choice, however.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 12 Mar 2013, 11:06

At least one first-team player at Reading is Jewish (Nick Blackman), so I don't imagine hiring Di Canio would have a particularly inspiring effect.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 12 Mar 2013, 11:51

Di Canio is a fucking bomb scare waiting to happen. Badge kisser of the highest order. Behaved like a cunt at just about every team he played for. Doesn't take long for a "little problem" just about everywhere he goes. Its all about Paolo. I watched for a full season at Celtic, lots of brilliant football along with lots of huffs and unwillingnes to roll his sleeves up.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Mar 2013, 12:01

Spec wrote:They need someone who is a stabling, calming influence not Di Canio. And not sure about Di Matteo either.

In many ways he would be a popular choice, as an RFC "legend" - until he was exposed as being out of his depth, which would probably happen.

McDermott >> Parkinson without a doubt.

I would be more than happy with Adkins as his teams play football that is good on the eye, which we haven't seen much of in the last decade or 2, despite the success along the way.

I just think Coyle is ridiculously under-rated and can't understand why he seems to be a forgotten man.

Spec

Postby Spec » 12 Mar 2013, 15:54

Lord Rother wrote:
Spec wrote:They need someone who is a stabling, calming influence not Di Canio. And not sure about Di Matteo either.

In many ways he would be a popular choice, as an RFC "legend" - until he was exposed as being out of his depth, which would probably happen.

McDermott >> Parkinson without a doubt.

I would be more than happy with Adkins as his teams play football that is good on the eye, which we haven't seen much of in the last decade or 2, despite the success along the way.

I just think Coyle is ridiculously under-rated and can't understand why he seems to be a forgotten man.

I said on the Arsenal thread a few years back that I'd like for Coyle to come to Arsenal as Wenger's number 2 for a while and eventual successor. And then it all went horribly wrong.

I like(d) him as a manager and would be happy to see him in charge of Reading. He has that experience of managing clubs in the championship (and taking them up) and the Premier league.

Return to “Sporting Life”