The all new Arsenal thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Spec

The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Spec » 09 Jun 2011, 10:50

My theory is that Arsenal's empty trophy cabinet has nothing to do with Wenger's inability to find a decent defender, goalkeeper, or experienced midfielder (he is right, they would stop the development of that 14 year old wonderkid from Bolivia) but it is instead down to the title of the old thread which, like the name of the Scottish play, hangs over the team like a curse.

And so, to take that theory to a logical conclusion, we need to abolish that thread (the name of which shall not be spoken) and start afresh.

Of course this will probably collapse (much like our dreams of success did in the last three months of the season) and the old thread (like our continous failings) will rise again. But I am willing to give it a go.

And with that said:

Carl Jenkinson - at 1/17th the cost of Phil Jones - bargain or squillaci?

The Modernist

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jun 2011, 12:02

:lol:
It's true the old thread was casting a mysterious curse over the team and only by banishing it can we move on and resume our rightful place at the top of the..aargh the old thread has taken over my keyboard and is attempting to fate us again with its doomed prediction.

No thoughts on Jenkinson really, other than our record with spotting young talent is very good, so I'm sure he's one for the future.
Of course it's the big buys that will determine how well we do next season. Im still hopeful of getting Cahill. Not too disappointed to miss out on Jones as he was only 5ft11 and I feel we need someone more aerially dominant in there.
No new news on Cesc,perhaps he's staying after all? I'm getting far less hopeful of Nasri staying, but wouldn't be that gutted to see him go if we can get a top quality replacement. He's still quite inconsistent and his goal/assist stats aren't anything to shout home about. I'd rather he stayed though given the choice.

The Great DeFector

Postby The Great DeFector » 09 Jun 2011, 15:42

I often think of starting a new Liverpool thread, start it off on a more positive note than penk did but i can't see it being much different to the current one.

Spec

Postby Spec » 10 Jun 2011, 16:22

Rumour mill on overdrive:

Chamberlain has agreed to move to Arsenal. Hopefully he will turn out to be great but really, another Walcott like teenager? I like that the article says about what a great player he is and how is going on holiday. If he's that great why isn't he with the England U21 squad?

Bigger news - Fabregas to Barcelona on Monday for 30m plus Bojan Krkic and Thiago Alcantara. I read earlier this week that Bojan doesn't want to come to England (and not sure he's the answer either). Alcantara could be good though.

Gervinho will join. Doesn't this seem a bit like Chamakh (striker does well in France). Don't know anything about him but again doesn't feel like the greatest signing.

And still nothing on defence. We live in hope.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 10 Jun 2011, 16:27

I think Gervinho's more of an "Arsenal" type player, more of a quick, tricky winger-cum-striker... so more like Henry than Chamakh, perhaps? I've only seen him at the World Cup last year but I remember he looked useful then, although obviously I don't imagine he's as good as Henry was.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 10 Jun 2011, 17:43

pênk wrote:I think Gervinho's more of an "Arsenal" type player, more of a quick, tricky winger-cum-striker... so more like Henry than Chamakh, perhaps? I've only seen him at the World Cup last year but I remember he looked useful then, although obviously I don't imagine he's as good as Henry was.

Yes that's fairly accurate. He's quick and skilful, though his finishing is meant to be quite dodgy.

The Great DeFector

Postby The Great DeFector » 10 Jun 2011, 19:09

Constant rumours of Clichy joining us. Can't say he's the best back i've seen. Wouldn't be over excited by his signing.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Jun 2011, 19:20

Dr Markus wrote:Constant rumours of Clichy joining us. Can't say he's the best back i've seen. Wouldn't be over excited by his signing.

He had a simply atrocious second half of last season. Hopefully, he'll fit in nicely. :lol:
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 11 Jun 2011, 11:34

Dr Markus wrote:Constant rumours of Clichy joining us. Can't say he's the best back i've seen. Wouldn't be over excited by his signing.

Clichy is a strange mix of the very impressive with the decidely unimpressive.

On the plus side he's tenacious and anticipates things well getting into the tackle early or making good interceptions. He has excellent recovery pace. He's a formidable athlete who will run all day.

On the debit side he can often be positionally poor. He has a tendency to panic in pressured situations or simply make poor choices. And for an attacking full -back, he doesn't actually produce much in the last third.

If you can revive the Clichy of a couple of seasons ago then you've got yourself a player, but I wouldn't be that bothered to see him go. The debate among Arsenal fans is whether Gibbs is yet up to the mark to replace him.

Spec

Postby Spec » 11 Jun 2011, 13:14

TopCat G wrote:

Clichy is a strange mix of the very impressive with the decidely unimpressive.

On the plus side he's tenacious and anticipates things well getting into the tackle early or making good interceptions. He has excellent recovery pace. He's a formidable athlete who will run all day.

On the debit side he can often be positionally poor. He has a tendency to panic in pressured situations or simply make poor choices. And for an attacking full -back, he doesn't actually produce much in the last third.

If you can revive the Clichy of a couple of seasons ago then you've got yourself a player, but I wouldn't be that bothered to see him go. The debate among Arsenal fans is whether Gibbs is yet up to the mark to replace him.

He falls asleep too often and that can be costly. but a few years back he was excellent and a fresh challenge might bring that out. In addition he doesn't get the cover at Arsenal that an attacking full back needs.

Re: Gibbs I fall in the not convinced. And he is too injury prone which would leave us with Traore as back-up :shock: :shock: . So I hope he buys a decent left back.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 11 Jun 2011, 14:22

I'm more on the pro Gibbs side, but his injury issues are a concern and he doesn't yet look a natural defender.

Rated B

Postby Rated B » 13 Jun 2011, 10:35

Well, in addition to wanting £50m for Fabregas (which seems unlikely seeing as Barca don't really need him, he won't go anywhere else and, say... oh, David Villa only cost £30m), Arsenal are going to hold out for £25m for Nasri.

:lol:

For a player who's out of contract shortly? Really?

Guess they'll be there at least one more year, then. Unless you actually get £75m for the pair. Imagine how many French under-21s you can get for that!! :D
And if I come in on a donkey, let me go out on a gurney

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 13 Jun 2011, 10:51

What do you expect them to do - sell Frabragas for half his market value?
Why would we do that? :roll:

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Jun 2011, 10:58

Fabregas is certainly worth every penny of what Torres is, so the market evaluation may not be stupid in that case (though whether you'll get it is highly debatable).

£25m for a guy with a year on his contract is cloud cuckoo land though - especially as he has made it clear he 'may' be interested in a new challenge? I think you'll be lucky to get £15m for him - and that is selling Nasri before the new season starts too. In reality, you have six months before he can sign a new deal with another club - no one is going to waste £25m now.
Cocaine

Rated B

Postby Rated B » 13 Jun 2011, 11:01

TopCat G wrote:What do you expect them to do - sell Frabragas for half his market value?

I expect him to stay because they won't pay that, but whether he'll be happy about that, who can say? I wouldn't be surprised if Nasri sees out his contract, then leaves on a free, too. But will that be good for the dressing room? Hmm.

Now, Fabregas... he's worth £20m more than Villa? Really? Torres is a fucking abberation, you can't take what Abramovich thinks seriously. No one else (except maybe Citeh) would've paid that for Torres. Fabregas is "worth" £35m, and you know it. Team going nowhere, big money move on the table, what sort of player wouldn't be tempted? So here, have a rollie eyes back > :roll:

And after this summer, when the new spending rules for UEFA come in, you'll never see that (an offer of £35m) for him again. Me, I'd take it now. But Arsene knows best. Long may he stay. 8-)

Rated B

Postby Rated B » 13 Jun 2011, 11:07

Diamond Dog wrote:Fabregas is certainly worth every penny of what Torres is, so the market evaluation may not be stupid in that case (though whether you'll get it is highly debatable).

Agreed, in so far as it goes - but Fabregas won't go to Chelsea or City, and Barca don't have that sort of money.

£25m for a guy with a year on his contract is cloud cuckoo land though - especially as he has made it clear he 'may' be interested in a new challenge? I think you'll be lucky to get £15m for him - and that is selling Nasri before the new season starts too. In reality, you have six months before he can sign a new deal with another club - no one is going to waste £25m now.

Indeed.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 13 Jun 2011, 11:09

Rated B wrote:
TopCat G wrote:What do you expect them to do - sell Frabragas for half his market value?

I expect him to stay because they won't pay that, but whether he'll be happy about that, who can say? I wouldn't be surprised if Nasri sees out his contract, then leaves on a free, too. But will that be good for the dressing room? Hmm.

Now, Fabregas... he's worth £20m more than Villa? Really? Torres is a fucking abberation, you can't take what Abramovich thinks seriously. No one else (except maybe Citeh) would've paid that for Torres. Fabregas is "worth" £35m, and you know it. Team going nowhere, big money move on the table, what sort of player wouldn't be tempted? So here, have a rollie eyes back > :roll:

And after this summer, when the new spending rules for UEFA come in, you'll never see that (an offer of £35m) for him again. Me, I'd take it now. But Arsene knows best. Long may he stay. 8-)

Barca haven't offered anything like 35 million, so your post was all rather pointless anyway.
I'm sure Arsenal would be willing to compromise on a price for him from Barca but as they are not budging on what they're offering there's nothing for us to negotiate on.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Jun 2011, 11:11

Rated B wrote:

And after this summer, when the new spending rules for UEFA come in, you'll never see that (an offer of £35m) for him again.

I wasn't suggesting Chelsea are any baromter for sensibility, but I would suggest there are very few buying clubs, Chelsea are one of them, and - as such- what they could be expected to pay is a pretty good indicator of what Fabregas' market value is?

Just how these new UEFA rules are going to afect everyone, I'm not sure? But i would have thought the main issue will be around wages, in terms of being a sound going concern, rather than transfer fees (which are one offs, and can be realised as well as taken on)?
Cocaine

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 13 Jun 2011, 11:14

Diamond Dog wrote:Fabregas is certainly worth every penny of what Torres is, so the market evaluation may not be stupid in that case (though whether you'll get it is highly debatable).

They don't want to sell Nasri hence the high valuation.
They are still trying to get him to sign (and he hasn't stated he wants to leave, but he is trying to get a huge payrise), if they reach the point when it becomes clear he won't sign, then yes they'll sell him. But they won't want to sell him to a rival English club, so it'll be a case of getting what they can from a foreign club.

Rated B

Postby Rated B » 13 Jun 2011, 11:17

TopCat G wrote:
Rated B wrote:

Barca haven't offered anything like 35 million, so your post was all rather pointless anyway.

Well, they offered £30m last summer, didn't they, hardly a huge gap. But that was rejected as "insulting". :lol: So perhaps there wasn't as much reasonable compromise as you would like to think, stroppy knickers?

Or perhaps he's tired of being a fucking loser... :lol:

Return to “Sporting Life”