Random Music stuff thread.

Do talk back
BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Re: Random Music stuff thread.

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 09 Jun 2020, 14:51

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Jun 2020, 19:37

FUCKING HELL
I just heard MFSB ‘Love Is The Message’ for the first time.
So you know why I’m saying fucking hell!
I had no idea.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Aug 2020, 03:17

Today I heard, for the first time, the original recording of "Handy Man" - later a hit for Jimmy Jones and, much later, James Taylor. It's quite different from either of those.

I noticed the songwriter credit Charles Merenstein on the label and wondered if he was any relation to Lewis Merenstein, who produced Astral Weeks, Moondance, Vintage Violence and many others (and, according to some sources, was the recording engineer on The Stooges!). After many seconds of Wiki sleuthing I determined that, yes indeed, Charles was Lewis' uncle; furthermore that Bess Berman (née Merenstein), founder of Apollo Records, was Lewis' aunt.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 10 Aug 2020, 18:41

RIP Bobby, owner of Sundance Records and Tapes, and my boss for five fun years in my life. He was everywhere---he snuck into Jimi Hendrix's hotel room in Fort Worth when he was a young teenager and hung out with the band for awhile. Later, he became friends with Steve Marriott (among many others) in Marriott's last years. But most importantly, he ran record store in a college town that had heavy (good) vibes for over 30 years. For a time, it was the oldest indie shop in Texas. During my time there, I was exposed to a lot of things that are at my core now. There's a lot more to say, but this says enough . . .

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/mu ... s-15467072
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 04 Sep 2020, 08:20

I'm really missing Richard zoomboogity this evening.

The last PM conversation I had with him started with a friendly disagreement about the relative merits of Lothar And The Hand People albums - I'm a Space Hymn man, whereas he favored their debut - and gradually perambulated into a lively discussion about unlikely (if not necessarily meaningful) musical connections and coincidences.

Last night I heard for the first time the original versions of "Leaning On A Lamp-Post" by Val Rosing and George Formby (respectively), from the 1937 film Feather Your Nest (a song I've known almost literally all my life by Herman's Hermits).

Tonight I was looking at my UK vinyl copy of Space Hymn and noticed for the first time that Lothar's British music publisher was Noel Gay Music. Noel Gay wrote "Leaning On A Lamp-Post".

There's more: on Preludin there's a new "Stevie Wonder vs. Curtis Mayfield" thread. There are Lothar connections to both: their first album was produced by Robert Margouleff, who contributed mightily to Stevie's classic early-'70s run, and Lothar's drummer Tom Flye engineered Curtis' early solo albums.

This shit would have totally made Richard's day.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 14 Sep 2020, 11:29

i was just listenin to layla, the track... and i've only NOW just noticed that the lovely coda at the end, whatever people call that section... it kicks in *before* the halfway point in a seven minute track, it makes up the bulk of the track.

how could i have gone thru 567 years listenin to this track and never notice that. how?

... do you people tell me NOTHING????

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 14 Sep 2020, 14:18

kath wrote:i was just listenin to layla, the track... and i've only NOW just noticed that the lovely coda at the end, whatever people call that section... it kicks in *before* the halfway point in a seven minute track, it makes up the bulk of the track.

how could i have gone thru 567 years listenin to this track and never notice that. how?

... in which Duane steals the show with that glorious slide solo , I DO love me a great slide solo (see just about any solo Beatle George ever played on slide guitar).

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 14 Sep 2020, 16:42

Mike Boom wrote:
kath wrote:i was just listenin to layla, the track... and i've only NOW just noticed that the lovely coda at the end, whatever people call that section... it kicks in *before* the halfway point in a seven minute track, it makes up the bulk of the track.

... in which Duane steals the show with that glorious slide solo , I DO love me a great slide solo (see just about any solo Beatle George ever played on slide guitar).

yes indeed. and i love me some duane.

i can't decide why i never realized the time balance of each part on the track. maybe the front part is just such a classic rock monster that it made me think it took up most of the time. but the last part is what i always loved the most. i think it's beautiful. so maybe that part flewwwww by more for me. who knows. maybe it was all that acid in the summer of 77. a mystery.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Sep 2020, 14:32

I’ve been won over by this track which initially drove me nuts because I have a real dislike of the style of singing which entails only pronouncing three quarters of each word.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Sep 2020, 18:45

I just played Jenny Ondioline really loud through headphones and it made me so excited I now feel a bit sick!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Sep 2020, 12:25

I heard a record so bad on the radio on my work commute this morning that I had to stop the car to look at the playlist to see who it was. ‘ My Morning Jacket’. Fucking hell.

While we’re at it, when did Tame Impala turn into Scritti Politti?

Dr Markus wrote:

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 22 Sep 2020, 16:23

I love my morning jacket.
Tame impala must have got better then? I fucking hate scritti politti. Right up there with the Dan and Prefab Sprout for insipid dross.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 10 Feb 2021, 19:34

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DCM3i-nyk ... bXv_VMCA_0

February 10th 1966. The Beach Boys make photographs/film at San Diego Zoo for the cover of their Pet Sounds album.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Feb 2021, 19:50

Nice!

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 Apr 2021, 03:34

Somehow I had never imagined there exists such a thing as a clavichord with multiple manuals and PEDALS. But of course, it's a thing. Apparently, pedal clavichords and harpsichords were the primary way organists practiced way back in the day (due to churches in northern Europe being cold and not having a constant supply of piss boys to work the bellows or whatever). Anyway, this sonata (BWV 527) is one of my favorite organ pieces, and I can't stop listening to this version. It's a little weird, sometimes the bass strings sound sort of loose and funky, but I guess that's the way of the world. I posted this on my FB page a few days ago, but I'm still listening to it. This dude has a bunch of neat videos where he gives historic organs a spin, showing what the stops do and that sort of thing.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Apr 2021, 17:23

I’ve just had youtube playing for about three hours and haven’t had the energy to turn it off even though it was playing some of the worst music I had ever heard. I just checked out who it was and it was A band called Madrugada. Dreadful noise.

Dr Markus wrote:

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 10 May 2021, 09:52

Without The Bay City Rollers there would be no Ramones :shock:

I've just watched the BBC Scotland Rollermania: Britain's Biggest Boy Band doc and had a bit of a bacon sandwich moment.

The Rollers had a direct influence on The Ramones, the New York band which laid down the blueprint for punk.
In the mid-70s the Ramones were struggling to find their sound.

Craig Leon, the band’s producer, said:
“The Rollers were high up on the list of bands the Ramones would think were very cool. Two things were very influential – the idea of quick, three-minute pop songs and everyone having a uniform look where the fans copied what the band looked like."
The Ramones copied the football terrace chant-style introduction to the Rollers’ US number one single, Saturday Night for their signature punk anthem.
“I don’t see how anyone has missed this,” Leon said. “The opening of Saturday Night is virtually the same as Blitzkreig Bop. If it’s not note for note, word for word, it’s a direct homage.” The Ramones substituted “Hey! Ho! Let's go!” for the Rollers’ “S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y night” chant.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 10 May 2021, 12:10

Blimey!

Respect.
Bugger off.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 May 2021, 23:55

This is a really nice 5 minutes with punk hero Tim Kerr and his banjo buddy.

https://vimeo.com/254111377

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 17 May 2021, 02:10

A sudden realization: the main guitar riff of Black Sabbath's "Into The Void" is "Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?"!

(about 54 seconds in, here - Once I built a railroad, I made it run...:)

Return to “Yakety Yak”