REAP CORNER

Do talk back
LMG
Gentleman Thug

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby LMG » 08 Sep 2021, 20:07

Again, following last night's PSL, I am NP this, which has been underplayed since acquisition in a Virgin Megastore sale some decades past:

I am finally getting over my initial disappointment over the title, which is more than a little misleading. It is in fact three CDs from two shows in 1979 and 1981, and one CD from 1993. So not exactly three decades of live history.

But I forgive SH for putting out what is available from live shows, as he has always done down the years to excellent effect. The '79 show from Hammersmith across 2CDs is superb, the band is the one he made Spectral Mornings with, this was from the tour for that album. In fact, I now read early copies of this box had a fifth disc with excerpts from the Newcastle show of that tour, plus recordings from the Hammersmith show in 1978.

Big chunks from his previous two albums as well on the '79 Hammersmith set, the band coping well with selections like Narnia which were sung by a guest vocalist on the Please Don't Touch album. And a few classics from the old band - a Blood On The Rooftops/Horizons acoustic medley, and I Know What I Like In Your Wardrobe.

Marvellous.

Steve always manages to put together a great evening out from his copious back catalogue - I have seen him play excellent shows with Johnny Slider of this parish twice, once accompanied by Neil Jung. 'Twas all good stuff.
"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

- Andrew Mueller It's Too Late To Die Young Now

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Sep 2021, 22:49

LMG wrote:Again, following last night's PSL, I am NP this, which has been underplayed since acquisition in a Virgin Megastore sale some decades past:

I am finally getting over my initial disappointment over the title, which is more than a little misleading. It is in fact three CDs from two shows in 1979 and 1981, and one CD from 1993. So not exactly three decades of live history.

But I forgive SH for putting out what is available from live shows, as he has always done down the years to excellent effect. The '79 show from Hammersmith across 2CDs is superb, the band is the one he made Spectral Mornings with, this was from the tour for that album. In fact, I now read early copies of this box had a fifth disc with excerpts from the Newcastle show of that tour, plus recordings from the Hammersmith show in 1978.

Big chunks from his previous two albums as well on the '79 Hammersmith set, the band coping well with selections like Narnia which were sung by a guest vocalist on the Please Don't Touch album. And a few classics from the old band - a Blood On The Rooftops/Horizons acoustic medley, and I Know What I Like In Your Wardrobe.

Marvellous.

Steve always manages to put together a great evening out from his copious back catalogue - I have seen him play excellent shows with Johnny Slider of this parish twice, once accompanied by Neil Jung. 'Twas all good stuff.

Interesting Chris

Thanks

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 09 Sep 2021, 09:42

A Silver Mt Zion – He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corner Of Our Rooms…

The weird and (if the mood is right) wonderful corner of the post-rock genre.

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 Sep 2021, 10:01

Lord Rother wrote:A Silver Mt Zion – He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corner Of Our Rooms…

The weird and (if the mood is right) wonderful corner of the post-rock genre.

Looks interesting Bob

Sample track please?

NP

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 09 Sep 2021, 11:34

Stephen, here's possibly my favourite track by A Silver Mt Zion, taken from their album Kollaps Tradixionales

robertff

Postby robertff » 09 Sep 2021, 19:13

NP

At this moment in time this hits the spot.

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 Sep 2021, 20:29

robertff wrote:NP

At this moment in time this hits the spot.

The Top often do.

Great band

robertff

Postby robertff » 10 Sep 2021, 14:58

NP

First time I've heard this.

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 Sep 2021, 16:56

First time I've heard this.

Superb album.

NP Harold Budd’s White Arcade. Woke up to the smell of rain and decided to play this to accompany the weather.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Sep 2021, 18:07

Six String wrote:NP Harold Budd’s White Arcade. Woke up to the smell of rain and decided to play this to accompany the weather.

An incredible album.

RIP Harold

robertff

Postby robertff » 11 Sep 2021, 19:31

WP

NP

Haven't played either of these two for a while. Went to see Zep on two occasions, firstly on their first tour of the UK and secondly at Earl's Court sometime after their fourth was released. Have to say I didn't really enjoy either gig very much, always preferred them on record rather than live. Nevertheless, the BBC Sessions is pretty good.

The Wishbone Ash live album is excellent, never saw them live though.

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Sep 2021, 09:15

robertff wrote:WP

I was there. Of course [CD2]

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Sep 2021, 09:21

NP

Wishbone Ash were great live - still are. There are two bands doing the tour - Martin Turner's and Andy Powell's. I have seen both a twice each and the old bands a coupel of times in their heyday

The live album is indeed excellent.

Their albums are a bit inconsistent though - the eponymous first, Argus and There's the Rub being their best three I reckon

NP

Sometimes only the Captain will do:

robertff

Postby robertff » 12 Sep 2021, 11:12

C wrote:

I was there. Of course [CD2]

And what were your impressions C. Did you prefer them live or on record best?

robertff

Postby robertff » 12 Sep 2021, 11:13

C wrote:

NP

Wishbone Ash were great live - still are. There are two bands doing the tour - Martin Turner's and Andy Powell's. I have seen both a twice each and the old bands a coupel of times in their heyday

Their albums are a bit inconsistent though - the eponymous first, Argus and There's the Rub being their best three I reckon

Add the other two that I have often mentioned and we're there.

robertff

Postby robertff » 12 Sep 2021, 11:16

C wrote:

NP

Sometimes only the Captain will do:

One of my all time favourites and definitely my Captain's favourite, just shading the first.

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Sep 2021, 16:09

robertff wrote:
C wrote:

NP

Add the other two that I have often mentioned and we're there.

Agreed

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Sep 2021, 19:04

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Darwin!
Another of my journeys into Italian prog. So far, so good. Parts of this sound a bit like ELP. Was the original LP really sideways like that? That's how discogs has it. The operatic vocals take some getting used to though.

robertff

Postby robertff » 12 Sep 2021, 19:45

NP

Excellent 2CD collection, taking tracks from their entire catalogue, not just post ‘Entertainment’

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Sep 2021, 20:36

Excellent 2CD collection, taking tracks from their entire catalogue, not just post ‘Entertainment’

Yes - it's excellent. Not that I own it but I remember buying for my brother's birthday and he loved it

NP

Return to “Yakety Yak”