REAP CORNER

Do talk back
robertff

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 04 Sep 2021, 11:43

NP

Nice enough music, thought I had Spectral Mornings and was going to give that a listen but can't seem to find it.

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 04 Sep 2021, 11:59

robertff wrote:NP

Nice enough music, thought I had Spectral Mornings and was going to give that a listen but can't seem to find it.

"Star of Sirius" is a personal favourite. Bought this album the same time as my mate bought "Beginnings" by Steve Howe. Think I got the best one. However, God put Steve (and Steve) in bands for a reason .....they're not strong enough to make it as a solo artist

robertff

Postby robertff » 04 Sep 2021, 12:10

slightbreeze wrote:

"Star of Sirius" is a personal favourite. Bought this album the same time as my mate bought "Beginnings" by Steve Howe. Think I got the best one

Without a doubt you got the best one, 'Beginnings' is abysmal, the man should have stuck to guitar and not bothered singing, awful record.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Sep 2021, 15:59

You've reviewed a Genesis album before I can get to it on my thread, robertff!

Voyage of the Acolyte is next.

C
Robust

Postby C » 04 Sep 2021, 16:25

Matt Wilson wrote:

A corker of a record!

LMG wrote:Everyone I have ever met was at Baker's Airforce show where it was recorded. My boss, various ex-girlfriends, my postman was reminiscing about it the other day. My Mum went, my Dad and both sets of grandparents. I got stuck at home with a babysitter!

Good Night Dallas, Texas

Postby Good Night Dallas, Texas » 05 Sep 2021, 23:44

NP

I've been looking for this for ages and it does not disappoint. Great set list & top notch sound quality, plus Don is giving as good as he gets from the audience & the band are cooking.

robertff

Postby robertff » 06 Sep 2021, 07:49

Matt Wilson wrote:You've reviewed a Genesis album before I can get to it on my thread, robertff!

Sorry about that Matt, at least it was one I could listen to all the way through! Nevertheless, I'm sure your review will be infinitely more interesting than my one line comment.

C
Robust

Postby C » 06 Sep 2021, 09:39

Good Night Dallas, Texas wrote:NP

I've been looking for this for ages and it does not disappoint. Great set list & top notch sound quality, plus Don is giving as good as he gets from the audience & the band are cooking.

It's excellent!

Some great bing with the audience

I checked to see when I bought it:

Last purchased 12 Feb 2011

Over ten years ago! (amazing - time flies)

LMG wrote:Everyone I have ever met was at Baker's Airforce show where it was recorded. My boss, various ex-girlfriends, my postman was reminiscing about it the other day. My Mum went, my Dad and both sets of grandparents. I got stuck at home with a babysitter!

C
Robust

Postby C » 06 Sep 2021, 15:37

NP

An excellent album

Broad church

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Sep 2021, 19:50

robertff wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:You've reviewed a Genesis album before I can get to it on my thread, robertff!

Sorry about that Matt, at least it was one I could listen to all the way through! Nevertheless, I'm sure your review will be infinitely more interesting than my one line comment.

Oh, I'm just kidding - mention any album you want.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 06 Sep 2021, 20:03

Replaying this amazing album from last week's PSL.

What a masterpiece! Such feeling, such great, heartfelt songs. I am astounded that such young musicians as Free were then could produce over the period 1968-1973 such lasting, sensitive, deep music. They were in their teens to early 20s and made wonderful music.

Sadly, the flip side of that particular coin is how Bad Company could have made such disposable, boorish, shallow music. They were adults making records that I found embarrassing as a teenager.
"Guy at the boot sale would only sell the entire box of CDs rather than parting with them individually. But the only person who would ever have wanted all of them was him – and evidently even he didn’t want them anymore." - Dave Gilmour's Cat

C
Robust

Postby C » 06 Sep 2021, 20:29

LMG wrote:Replaying this amazing album from last week's PSL.

What a masterpiece! Such feeling, such great, heartfelt songs. I am astounded that such young musicians as Free were then could produce over the period 1968-1973 such lasting, sensitive, deep music. They were in their teens to early 20s and made wonderful music.

Sadly, the flip side of that particular coin is how Bad Company could have made such disposable, boorish, shallow music. They were adults making records that I found embarrassing as a teenager.

Agreed Chris, but I like the first Bad Co album very much

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 06 Sep 2021, 22:05

Oh. Don’t think I’ve played them for a few years but I really enjoy most of the 1st 3 albums.

The dramatic orchestral ending / fade out to the track Run With The Pack is a particular favourite.

I know it’s pretty easy listening MOR but I’ve always liked Silver Blue and Gold as well. Chastise me!

robertff

Postby robertff » 06 Sep 2021, 22:11

Lord Rother wrote:Oh. Don’t think I’ve played them for a few years but I really enjoy most of the 1st 3 albums.

The dramatic orchestral ending / fade out to the track Run With The Pack is a particular favourite.

I know it’s pretty easy listening MOR but I’ve always liked Silver Blue and Gold as well. Chastise me!

I’m with you Lord.

C
Robust

Postby C » 07 Sep 2021, 14:44

robertff wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Oh. Don’t think I’ve played them for a few years but I really enjoy most of the 1st 3 albums.

I’m with you Lord.

Not at all

Muddie is being about hard I feel but that's Muddie!

The first is excellent and the second is good to my old ears

Then we part company (groan...)

They certainly weren't a patch on Free

robertff

Postby robertff » 07 Sep 2021, 17:27

C wrote:
robertff wrote:

I’m with you Lord.

Not at all

Muddie is being about hard I feel but that's Muddie!

The first is excellent and the second is good to my old ears

Then we part company (groan...)

They certainly weren't a patch on Free

Different band, different music C. unfair to compare them to Free I think. Bad Co. set out to be more commercial which was what they achieved. I saw them live at Earl's Court round about the time their second album came out, odd thing was that they just weren't loud enough and they seemed very restrained.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Sep 2021, 11:44

A great track on a great album by a great band

I like a bit of noise me

[Broad church]

robertff

Postby robertff » 08 Sep 2021, 14:46

NP

6 CD Box.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Sep 2021, 16:38

6 CD Box.

Nice.

Presumably tons/tonnes of live stuff it tip-top sound quality...?

Or endless alternative takes of tracks that we've all heard a million times (and I may add, happy to hear another million)?

robertff

Postby robertff » 08 Sep 2021, 18:49

C wrote:

6 CD Box.

Nice.

Presumably tons/tonnes of live stuff it tip-top sound quality...?

Or endless alternative takes of tracks that we've all heard a million times (and I may add, happy to hear another million)?

More the former C. One CD of pre CCR, 3 CDs of CCR (whole albums) one CD of studio bits and pieces and live and the final CD of live. Bought it years ago not sure I’ve actually played the whole thing yet!