REAP CORNER

Do talk back
LMG
Gentleman Thug

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby LMG » 27 Aug 2021, 17:21

slightbreeze wrote:Exactly. No, to be honest, you're right. It's just something about Deep Purple that really rub me up the wrong way. I like Zeppelin, but feel there's much more to them than just hard rock

One supposes pointing out that this comment reeks of complacent snobbery would be a pointless exercise?

Anyway, Purple rule. Zep sucks.

So there.
"Guy at the boot sale would only sell the entire box of CDs rather than parting with them individually. But the only person who would ever have wanted all of them was him – and evidently even he didn’t want them anymore." - Dave Gilmour's Cat

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 27 Aug 2021, 17:36

LMG wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:Exactly. No, to be honest, you're right. It's just something about Deep Purple that really rub me up the wrong way. I like Zeppelin, but feel there's much more to them than just hard rock

One supposes pointing out that this comment reeks of complacent snobbery would be a pointless exercise?

Anyway, Purple rule. Zep sucks.

So there.

And if someone burnt all my Zeppelin albums, I wouldn't really be that arsed. Now THAT'S complacency ;) . I actually wish I liked hard rock because there's so much music I've missed out on, but it just doesn't "rock" my boat. Most of my school pals loved rock and I'd be skulking in the corner with my copy of "Future Days".

robertff

Postby robertff » 27 Aug 2021, 19:38

Delightful, their first four were superb in my book, the fifth was pretty good as well. Diminishing returns after that. Saw them live in their heyday, wonderful.

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Aug 2021, 20:09

robertff wrote:Image

Delightful, their first four were superb in my book, the fifth was pretty good as well. Diminishing returns after that. Saw them live in their heyday, wonderful.

A good call

I'll go to seven - just

The 1975 reunion album with Sandy is very good though and a couple from the 80s

LMG wrote:Everyone I have ever met was at Baker's Airforce show where it was recorded. My boss, various ex-girlfriends, my postman was reminiscing about it the other day. My Mum went, my Dad and both sets of grandparents. I got stuck at home with a babysitter!

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 27 Aug 2021, 20:44

Babbacombe Lee was the last album I truly enjoyed by them, but what a run of albums up to then

robertff

Postby robertff » 28 Aug 2021, 14:00

NP

As my grandson would say 'noisyyyyyyyy!'

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Aug 2021, 14:58

robertff wrote:NP

As my grandson would say 'noisyyyyyyyy!'

:D

I love a bit of noise me

NP

Talking of noise (now playing):

LMG wrote:Everyone I have ever met was at Baker's Airforce show where it was recorded. My boss, various ex-girlfriends, my postman was reminiscing about it the other day. My Mum went, my Dad and both sets of grandparents. I got stuck at home with a babysitter!

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 28 Aug 2021, 17:14

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Aug 2021, 17:53

Mike Boom wrote:Image

I must play this again. It's probably been a decade since I played half of it.

Not my fave Genesis album....

NP [this is more like it]

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Aug 2021, 23:59

New Trolls - Concerto Grosso Per I
I'm not usually one for symphonic progressive rock, but this ain't bad. Supposedly the first such Italian effort in that rather niche genre. Lyrics in English, drum solos, Hendrixian guitar, lengthy expositions, etc. The Vivaldi-type strings initially welcome the listener and all of side one is aces. Whether or not it's all live I can't tell. The liner notes are in Japanese. I'm sure some of you here have this.

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Aug 2021, 17:35

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
I'm not usually one for symphonic progressive rock, but this ain't bad. Supposedly the first such Italian effort in that rather niche genre. Lyrics in English, drum solos, Hendrixian guitar, lengthy expositions, etc. The Vivaldi-type strings initially welcome the listener and all of side one is aces. Whether or not it's all live I can't tell. The liner notes are in Japanese. I'm sure some of you here have this.

Looks interesting - thanks Matt

Talking of Italian prog - Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - probably my fave Italian prog band

Try this Matt:

Full of music

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Aug 2021, 17:50

Lord Rother wrote:
Fucked Up - Queen of Hearts

Another band that surprisingly won a Prog Cup round for me last time around. (Not this track.)

2 versions, firstly the album track itself, then the official video release with school children providing the vocals. Great video this, doing something very unusual and inventive.

Enjoyable - thank you Bob

The video is excellent

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Aug 2021, 18:52

Yeah, I've ordered PFM – Storia Di Un Minuto, Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso – Darwin, and Premiata Forneria Marconi – Per Un Amico.

robertff

Postby robertff » 29 Aug 2021, 19:05

NP

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 29 Aug 2021, 19:17

Glass Hammer - Anthology 2 2011-2020

They don’t release their albums on streaming services so I don’t get to hear much of their stuff, but this is the 2nd anthology collection to be put on Spotify and it is excellent.

Very Yes like in places, in fact the vocalist in early 21st Century was Jon Davison who sounds so much like Jon Anderson he joined Yes in 2012.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 29 Aug 2021, 20:29

Matt Wilson wrote:Image

Last FM shows I played this 3 times back in October 2013, my post on here at the time indicates I found it “interesting and rewarding”.

And then I completely forgot about it.

Thanks for refreshing the old memory - back on current playlist for a revisit.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 29 Aug 2021, 21:16

Leprous - Aphelion

New release, Leprous are never exactly easy on the ear (one of their tracks had a beating on latest Prog Cup) but they are always (to reuse recently used phrase) interesting and rewarding, and hugely progressive. There was nothing like them back in the halcyon days so I doubt anyone could call them derivative.

The voice is mesmerising. Smooth and soaring with the occasional return to a Cookie Monster roar.

This is the closing track - the video flits about far too much for my liking but it’s a good indicator of their music.

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Aug 2021, 22:18

robertff wrote:NP

Good call.

Far from his best but still very good

C
Robust

Postby C » 30 Aug 2021, 13:24

Matt Wilson wrote:Yeah, I've ordered PFM – Storia Di Un Minuto, Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso – Darwin, and Premiata Forneria Marconi – Per Un Amico.

Three great albums!!

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 31 Aug 2021, 22:58

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s weird that I like this lot as growling vocals turn me off completely, but there’s something about the music that grabs me and won’t let go.

Small doses maybe but sometimes the energy blast is just what I need.