REAP CORNER

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 29 Apr 2021, 14:58

Lord Rother wrote:Ouch.

oooof!

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

robertff

Postby robertff » 29 Apr 2021, 19:44

NP

A bit of a disappointment when I first bought this, too much of the Elmore James impersonation stuff, not enough P.A. Green. What there was of Greeny was streets ahead of Spencer’s. Love That Burns was in the same vein as Man of the World.

Terrible cover for the album - enough to put people off buying, what were they thinking?

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Apr 2021, 20:24

C wrote:Did the goons know Dunbar unsuccessfully tried to recruit Robert Fripp as Blue Whale's guitarist after the original Crimso line-up folded....?

Nope. Good idea?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 29 Apr 2021, 23:02

Almost as good as the mighty debut album.

Boston - Don’t Look Back

robertff

Postby robertff » 30 Apr 2021, 12:01

NP

Many decades ago I went into Boots in Norwich to look through their racks of records. I had in mind the record I wanted to buy (see above) but as I was browsing I came across a strange looking cover showing a fish eye lens image of a band I had never heard of on both back and front covers. They looked pretty mean and moody, as was the way with many group images, and they were wearing suits and looking fairly posh. I was intrigued and noticed some pretty odd sounding track titles but in the end I stuck with the Savoy Brown Blues Band album, which I liked - well it was the British Blues Boom era wasn't it?

Incidentally what a couple of great guitarists Savoy Brown had on their first album, Kim Simmonds and Martin Stone.

So, can you guess what the other album was that piqued my interest. Needless to say I went on to buy it a year or two later and presented with the same choice again I would always choose the latter over the Savoy Brown.

So what was the album?

C
Robust

Postby C » 30 Apr 2021, 13:00

robertff wrote:So, can you guess what the other album was that piqued my interest. Needless to say I went on to buy it a year or two later and presented with the same choice again I would always choose the latter over the Savoy Brown.

So what was the album?

Of course. The Captain's debut

robertff wrote:NP

A bit of a disappointment when I first bought this, too much of the Elmore James impersonation stuff, not enough P.A. Green. What there was of Greeny was streets ahead of Spencer’s. Love That Burns was in the same vein as Man of the World.

Terrible cover for the album - enough to put people off buying, what were they thinking?

Agreed on all your points here Rob

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

robertff

Postby robertff » 30 Apr 2021, 13:53

C wrote:
robertff wrote:So, can you guess what the other album was that piqued my interest. Needless to say I went on to buy it a year or two later and presented with the same choice again I would always choose the latter over the Savoy Brown.

So what was the album?

Of course. The Captain's debut

Spot on C. well done.

robertff

Postby robertff » 30 Apr 2021, 14:07

NP

Must be one of the best debuts ever, nothing else like it at the time.

C
Robust

Postby C » 30 Apr 2021, 14:12

Agreed

NP

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 30 Apr 2021, 14:20

One of the few Beefheart albums I really like

C
Robust

Postby C » 30 Apr 2021, 15:08

slightbreeze wrote:

One of the few Beefheart albums I really like

:o

What are the others?

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 30 Apr 2021, 16:36

To be honest, take away the two elephants in the room....Troutmask and Decals, I quite like the rest of his output, up to "Ice cream for crow".

robertff

Postby robertff » 30 Apr 2021, 19:14

C wrote:

NP

I do have this album C but not really a fan of it. They did much better with the next one.

robertff

Postby robertff » 30 Apr 2021, 19:36

NP

Really impressive record when this first came out - mean and moody, still one of my favourite TYA albums, top 3 in fact. What are the other two?

C
Robust

Postby C » 30 Apr 2021, 20:55

slightbreeze wrote: up to "Ice cream for crow".

That was the last recorded album and it is a corker!

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 30 Apr 2021, 21:50

My favourite vocal by him, though, is on "Willy the pimp". I still struggle to sit through a full album, although I like individual tracks

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 May 2021, 11:45

slightbreeze wrote:My favourite vocal by him, though, is on "Willy the pimp".

It takes some beating - that's for sure

Unconditionally Guaranteed is a more gentle album....

robertff

Postby robertff » 01 May 2021, 12:11

C wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:My favourite vocal by him, though, is on "Willy the pimp".

It takes some beating - that's for sure

Unconditionally Guaranteed is a more gentle album....

You’ve obviously turned the corner on UG C. I seem to remember you dismissing it a few years ago as a poor Beefheart album, unless I’ve remembered it incorrectly. The Captain regularly dismissed some of his better albums as being under par, notably Strictly and UG but what did he know?

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 01 May 2021, 13:41

Awesome.

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 May 2021, 15:21

NP

The A-side of the album is a thirty-minute piece originally intended as a background drone for guitarist Robert Fripp to play over in a series of concerts. Eno set up a synthesiser with built-in memory along with a tape delay system, but was immediately interrupted: "people started knocking on the door, and I was answering the phone and adjusting all this stuff as it ran. I almost made that without listening to it. It was really automatic music".

It begins with two melodic phrases of different lengths played back from a synthesiser's digital recall system. This signal is then run through a graphic equaliser to occasionally change its timbre. It is then run through an echo unit before being recorded onto a tape machine The tape runs to the take-up reel of a second machine, and the output of that machine is fed back into the first tape machine which records the overlapped signals. The next day, Fripp visited and Eno accidentally played the piece back at half-speed, thinking that "it was probably one of the best things I’d ever done and I didn’t even realise I was doing it at the time."

The second half of the album consists of three related pieces, collectively titled "Three Variations on the Canon in D Major by Johann Pachelbel", performed by the Cockpit Ensemble. Eno described the music as the result of a self-generating, self-regulating system, with the input to the system taking the form of two- or four-measure fragments of Pachelbel's canon, and the system being the performers with a set of instructions.

Each variation involves a different way of manipulating and overlaying the musical fragments.

In the first piece, "Fullness Of Wind", the players' tempos are decreased, with the rate of decrease being related to the relative pitch of the instruments, so that lower instruments are slowest.

In the second piece, "French Catalogues", groups of notes are associated with time-related directions from different parts of the score.

The third piece, "Brutal Ardour", presents the players with sequences of notes that are related but of different lengths.

Got it?

Return to “Yakety Yak”