REAP CORNER

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 09 Oct 2021, 18:16

robertff wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:You guys are gonna have to school me on the exact distinction between those two terms again. I use them as synonyms.

I'll try Matt.

In the late 60s and early 70s you could walk into record shops and they would have records in various sections as many still do, so there might have been pop, blues, jazz, etc. and one that started to creep in was underground. Underground came about as an amalgam of the British Blues Boom and psychedelia. Anything really that John Peel wanted to play on his Perfumed Garden radio programme really. In this section you might find bands find bands like Cream, Jim Hendrix, Family, Tyrannosaurus Rex,Ten Years After, early Jethro Tull, Taste, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Keef Hartley Band, Colosseum, Pink Floyd etc.

However, underground fairly quickly mutated into progressive, perhaps as a result of a number of record labels starting to put progressive on the spines of record covers I guess to help stockists and the music press. So these bands then became progressive because they were being experimental in their approach. As an example, the first two Fleetwood Mac albums would have been listed under Blues, or even Pop as they sold well, but the third would have been under the term progressive because to took the music beyond straight blues, it went further than the blues, it progressed, so was progressive.The first two Yes albums were progressive, same as the first two King Crimson albums, the first three Jethro Tull albums, John Mayall's Bare Wires and Laurel Canyon, Floyd's Atom Heart Mother, TYA's Ssssh, Free's albums, Atomic Rooster's first couple, Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come, Groundhog's Thank Christ and Split, Led Zep's albums, Beefheart's albums, Sabs', Deep Purple's, Fairport's, all these would have been termed progressive, although after a while some of them mutated into other genres but for a while there were progressive.

The 'Prog' nomenclature really came into its own around the time of The Yes Album when the music was taken to another more complicated, longer tracks, symphonic level, an extension of progressive. The Nice were progressive but ELP became prog which is a pretty good example. Close To The Edge was prog, the Yes album would still just have come under the banner of progressive. Aqualung was progressive, TAAB became prog.

I don't know if this helps Matt, C. might want to come in and add more but, briefly and hurriedly, this is how I understand the two terms and I think C. and I understand it in the same way. Hopefully he might shed more light. Others of course might completely disagree but this is how I remember it to be.

Spot on Rob

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 Oct 2021, 18:18

robertff wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Okay, so from that description I'm understanding that "prog" as we use that term today encompasses all the groups we discuss and wank over, while "progressive" simply means the late sixties batch of bands which were taking rock into another level from its simplistic origins. Thus, Hendrix/Cream could be progressive, but once the term prog came about, they wouldn't fit the bill.

In other words, "progressive" isn't really used the way it was over fifty years ago.

Bet I'll still use them interchangeably though...

Hendrix, Cream, TYA, Wishbone Ash, Groundhogs etc. could never be described as prog, although they could be described as progressive.

The bands that were progressive and the albums that they produced at the time are still known as progressive and those bands who changed to become prog and the albums they produced are prog. So for a short while Yes were progressive then they became prog. To people like C. (I think) and myself that term sticks.

Spot on again Rob

Anybody that thinks differently, and you can't rewrite history, will be wanting to airbrush out Trotsky next!

robertff

Postby robertff » 10 Oct 2021, 16:51

C wrote:
robertff wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:You guys are gonna have to school me on the exact distinction between those two terms again. I use them as synonyms.

I'll try Matt.

In the late 60s and early 70s you could walk into record shops and they would have records in various sections as many still do, so there might have been pop, blues, jazz, etc. and one that started to creep in was underground. Underground came about as an amalgam of the British Blues Boom and psychedelia. Anything really that John Peel wanted to play on his Perfumed Garden radio programme really. In this section you might find bands find bands like Cream, Jim Hendrix, Family, Tyrannosaurus Rex,Ten Years After, early Jethro Tull, Taste, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Keef Hartley Band, Colosseum, Pink Floyd etc.

However, underground fairly quickly mutated into progressive, perhaps as a result of a number of record labels starting to put progressive on the spines of record covers I guess to help stockists and the music press. So these bands then became progressive because they were being experimental in their approach. As an example, the first two Fleetwood Mac albums would have been listed under Blues, or even Pop as they sold well, but the third would have been under the term progressive because to took the music beyond straight blues, it went further than the blues, it progressed, so was progressive.The first two Yes albums were progressive, same as the first two King Crimson albums, the first three Jethro Tull albums, John Mayall's Bare Wires and Laurel Canyon, Floyd's Atom Heart Mother, TYA's Ssssh, Free's albums, Atomic Rooster's first couple, Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come, Groundhog's Thank Christ and Split, Led Zep's albums, Beefheart's albums, Sabs', Deep Purple's, Fairport's, all these would have been termed progressive, although after a while some of them mutated into other genres but for a while there were progressive.

The 'Prog' nomenclature really came into its own around the time of The Yes Album when the music was taken to another more complicated, longer tracks, symphonic level, an extension of progressive. The Nice were progressive but ELP became prog which is a pretty good example. Close To The Edge was prog, the Yes album would still just have come under the banner of progressive. Aqualung was progressive, TAAB became prog.

I don't know if this helps Matt, C. might want to come in and add more but, briefly and hurriedly, this is how I understand the two terms and I think C. and I understand it in the same way. Hopefully he might shed more light. Others of course might completely disagree but this is how I remember it to be.

Spot on Rob

Glad to get the nod of approval C. I knew we spoke the same language.

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Oct 2021, 18:47

I've had a Wishbone Ash afternoon

Robust stuff!

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Oct 2021, 18:50

NP

Note that's Airconditioning NOT Air Conditioning

A great album!

I regret taking back my irritatingly 'crackly' picture disc and exchanging it for an ordinary 'black' version

I should have bought both

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 10 Oct 2021, 19:53

Yesterday I bought and played Springsteen's Dublin Live double LP. It's a great recording with really good music. for me it's the best thing he's ever done. Next to The River if it was a single album.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

robertff

Postby robertff » 10 Oct 2021, 20:02

WP

NP

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Oct 2021, 21:37

Grateful Dead - Listen to the River: St. Louis '71, '72, '73
New Dead box of 20 CDs containing their St Louis shows from three consecutive years. Good stuff, natch, but it's not blowing me away. The usual outstanding packaging standards apply, but so far none of the seven complete shows contained are stellar. Then again, none of them are mediocre either.

Image Image

C
Robust

Postby C » 11 Oct 2021, 09:24

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Grateful Dead - Listen to the River: St. Louis '71, '72, '73
New Dead box of 20 CDs containing their St Louis shows from three consecutive years. Good stuff, natch, but it's not blowing me away. The usual outstanding packaging standards apply, but so far none of the seven complete shows contained are stellar. Then again, none of them are mediocre either.

Image Image

It looks interesting Matt.

I class myself as a Deadhead and have a lot of their live stuff (but nothing as much as you) and when I am in the mood I love it and sometimes play them for days.

It’s been a while so I should dig a few out.

The trouble is I just can’t cope with these massive boxes- 20CDs!

Have you played them all yet Matt?

Will you play them all again?

I know 20CDs is small-fry for the Dead - didn’t they release an absolute monster a few years ago…..?

I’m sure they did.

Let’s ROCK!

Anyway, I’ll check this one out on Qobuz now

robertff

Postby robertff » 11 Oct 2021, 11:05

NP

Broad church psych/progressive.

C
Robust

Postby C » 11 Oct 2021, 11:27

I love a bit of Dead me. When I'm in the mood

And thanks to Mat's post I'm back in the zone

NP

Europe '72 Volume 22 Live at Lyceum, London

A great 18-minute version of Playing in the Band

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Oct 2021, 15:37

I've played four of the seven shows, Stephen. They do a big box like this every year and I have them all save Spring 1990. The two biggest are 30 Trips Around the Sun - which is 80 CDs and contains a show from every year of their career ('66 - '95), and Complete Europe '72 Recordings at 73 discs - which chronicles every show on their Euro tour that year.

robertff

Postby robertff » 11 Oct 2021, 16:48

WP

NP

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 11 Oct 2021, 18:53

robertff wrote:WP

Big fan of Richard, both solo and during his time in Fairport (never quite the same after he left). 13 Rivers is good, but he's made better.

robertff

Postby robertff » 11 Oct 2021, 19:07

slightbreeze wrote:
robertff wrote:WP

Big fan of Richard, both solo and during his time in Fairport (never quite the same after he left). 13 Rivers is good, but he's made better.

One artist who's never made a bad album in my book.

robertff

Postby robertff » 11 Oct 2021, 19:08

Matt Wilson wrote:I've played four of the seven shows, Stephen. They do a big box like this every year and I have them all save Spring 1990. The two biggest are 30 Trips Around the Sun - which is 80 CDs and contains a show from every year of their career ('66 - '95), and Complete Europe '72 Recordings at 73 discs - which chronicles every show on their Euro tour that year.

Crikey!

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 11 Oct 2021, 20:08

Matt Wilson wrote:I've played four of the seven shows, Stephen. They do a big box like this every year and I have them all save Spring 1990. The two biggest are 30 Trips Around the Sun - which is 80 CDs and contains a show from every year of their career ('66 - '95), and Complete Europe '72 Recordings at 73 discs - which chronicles every show on their Euro tour that year.

:shock:

So what do you do to supplement your school teacher salary? ;)

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Oct 2021, 20:35

I pole dance at the local titty bar.

robertff

Postby robertff » 12 Oct 2021, 19:19

NP

Absolutely love this album, would be amongst my all time favourites.

Any other fans out there?

C
Robust

Postby C » 13 Oct 2021, 17:04

That's a lot of Dead Matt!!

NP

Not as good as the first but robust nonetheless

Return to “Yakety Yak”