REAP CORNER

Do talk back
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Neil Jung » 05 Oct 2021, 21:02

Neil Jung wrote:I’d agree with Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree being premier league and would also put Focus, Marillion, Moody Blues, Pavlov’s Dog, Mike Oldfield there.
Big Big Train (sorry*), Nektar, The Enid, Wally, MMEB, PFM, Banco, UK, all division 2. Or 3.
Do Styx get in? Utopia? Magma? Asia? Tangerine Dream? Rick Wakeman? Strawbs?

* they’re lucky to be in division 2!
[indistinct chatter]

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 05 Oct 2021, 21:07

That went horribly wrong...

In terms of definition, I’d go with whatever Prog magazine thinks. It gets broader by the year!
[indistinct chatter]

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Oct 2021, 21:09

Neil Jung wrote:I’d agree with Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree being premier league and would also put Focus, Marillion, Wally, Moody Blues, Pavlov’s Dog, Mike Oldfield there.
Big Big Train (sorry*), Nektar, The Enid, MMEB, PFM, Banco, UK, all division 2. Or 3.
Do Styx get in? Utopia? Magma? Asia? Tangerine Dream?

Focus is a band I'm saving for later, but I will get to them. Are we considering the Moodies progressive? Then they'd either be first or second-tier. Don't know anything about Pavlov's Dog. I love Oldfield's Tubular Bells and Ommadown, those are two other ones I've had for decades.

Rother talks about Big Big Train, but I don't know them. I've seen Nektar, Magma, and Enid albums on lists, but don't know them. Have no idea who MMEB are, but enjoy my two PFM CDs. See - Italian prog is almost a whole 'nuther genre we could discuss as there ate TONS of those LPs in the '70s.

Styx aren't as prog as Kansas, but Utopia were. Tangerine Dream are German which again - it's almost like another genre. If they get in, how about Can? When I talked about Asia in my Yes thread, there were no takers as I recall.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Oct 2021, 21:11

I posted this before. Prog Archives ever-changing (because it's by votes) list of the best prog albums:

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-al ... bumtypes=1

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 05 Oct 2021, 21:23

Matt Wilson wrote:I posted this before. Prog Archives ever-changing (because it's by votes) list of the best prog albums:

A good list but Miles Davis? No, sorry.
I forgot about Anglagard, sort of Crimson meets Tull. Impressive stuff.

Listen to Did You See Him Cry by US band Pavlov’s Dog. C and I are big fans.

Can? On the fringe of the genre. But I’d put Tangerine Dream in.
[indistinct chatter]

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 05 Oct 2021, 21:27

Neil Jung wrote:I’d agree with Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree being premier league and would also put Focus, Marillion, Wally, Moody Blues, Pavlov’s Dog, Mike Oldfield there.
Big Big Train (sorry*), Nektar, The Enid, MMEB, PFM, Banco, UK, all division 2. Or 3.

It’s all cool with BBT!

I honestly don’t understand how every prog fan isn’t madly in love with them but one must respect individual taste! :D

Umm, I’m probably being thick but who / what is Wally? :?

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 05 Oct 2021, 21:30

Matt Wilson wrote:

Focus is a band I'm saving for later, but I will get to them. Are we considering the Moodies progressive? Then they'd either be first or second-tier. Don't know anything about Pavlov's Dog. I love Oldfield's Tubular Bells and Ommadown, those are two other ones I've had for decades.

Rother talks about Big Big Train, but I don't know them. I've seen Nektar, Magma, and Enid albums on lists, but don't know them. Have no idea who MMEB are, but enjoy my two PFM CDs. See - Italian prog is almost a whole 'nuther genre we could discuss as there ate TONS of those LPs in the '70s.

Styx aren't as prog as Kansas, but Utopia were. Tangerine Dream are German which again - it's almost like another genre. If they get in, how about Can? When I talked about Asia in my Yes thread, there were no takers as I recall.

Try this, but you must play it to the end....

(I won’t be offended...!)

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 05 Oct 2021, 21:34

Then there’s the likes of Hatfield & The North, National Health, Bruford, Druid floating around the lower reaches of division 2 or 3, depending on your taste!
Do solo artists like Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett get in? I expect they should.

Wally made 2 albums, mid 70s, produced by Rick Wakeman and Bob Harris. Fairly Prog especially the second Valley Gardens. I really like them. Give them a try via Spotify or YouTube.

Ive got copies of most of Big Big Trains albums and I’ve seen them live. If it was 1973 I’m sure I’d have loved them. But they haven’t clicked.
[indistinct chatter]

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 05 Oct 2021, 21:38

Matt Wilson wrote:I posted this before. Prog Archives ever-changing (because it's by votes) list of the best prog albums:

Minor point, it’s not really votes, but ratings - their main reviewers have a higher quotient (if that’s the right word) but every rating has a fractional impact on the scores.

There’s very little movement in the Top 100, apart from Steven Wilson bouncing in in recent years it’s been very static, which is a good thing I think.

Check this all-time list of Boxsets / Compilations out! ;)

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-al ... 5&y=5#list
Last edited by Lord Rother on 05 Oct 2021, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 05 Oct 2021, 21:39

Flash and Badger crawling out of the woodwork. Sound like characters in Tom Brown's Schooldays. So many prog bands! Such diversity in the quality of material. Never thought I'd be sat here watching "Bake off" and wondering whether BJH we're better than Fruup

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 05 Oct 2021, 21:50

OK I played it (the BBT video) to the end. It was fine. But not as good as East Coast Racer. ;)
[indistinct chatter]

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Oct 2021, 21:53

I played the video too. Not bad at all. It would take some time to grow on me though. And yes, Rother's right, ratings, not votes. But more people rate things and that's how the votes change.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 05 Oct 2021, 22:50

Neil Jung wrote:OK I played it (the BBT video) to the end. It was fine. But not as good as East Coast Racer. ;)

Toss up. :D

robertff

Postby robertff » 05 Oct 2021, 22:59

Okay all, there are 20 teams in the premier league, so who makes it into the prog premier league (20 only) with positions from 1 - 20? Will we ever agree?

So who would be top of the league, who's the best, Yes, Jethro, Genesis ............?

Begin.

robertff

Postby robertff » 06 Oct 2021, 09:26

robertff wrote:Okay all, there are 20 teams in the premier league, so who makes it into the prog premier league (20 only) with positions from 1 - 20? Will we ever agree?

So who would be top of the league, who's the best, Yes, Jethro, Genesis ............?

I'll start a new thread.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 06 Oct 2021, 12:24

So, Big Big Train and Victorian Brickwork.... has any band ever written a song about such a non standard rock and roll subject?

PS I’m playing it again.
[indistinct chatter]

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 06 Oct 2021, 14:29

Genesis - Driving The Last Spike was quite unexpected at the time.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 06 Oct 2021, 14:32

Neil Jung wrote:Wally made 2 albums, mid 70s, produced by Rick Wakeman and Bob Harris. Fairly Prog especially the second Valley Gardens. I really like them. Give them a try via Spotify or YouTube.

Well, I really enjoyed both of these. :D Thank you!

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 06 Oct 2021, 15:00

Lord Rother wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:Wally made 2 albums, mid 70s, produced by Rick Wakeman and Bob Harris. Fairly Prog especially the second Valley Gardens. I really like them. Give them a try via Spotify or YouTube.

Well, I really enjoyed both of these. :D Thank you!

I’m very pleased to hear it. My work here is done!
[indistinct chatter]

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 06 Oct 2021, 19:56

No no no, there has to be more where that came from!

I had honestly never heard of them.