REAP CORNER

Do talk back
User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 67028
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 06 Jan 2022, 15:47

Bob, have listen to this:

Image





.
C wrote:Just blank the fucque-wit

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 67028
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 06 Jan 2022, 19:49

They were more than a one (long) song band...!

NP

Image




.
C wrote:Just blank the fucque-wit

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 8600
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Lord Rother » 06 Jan 2022, 21:01

C wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:
robertff wrote:
One of your favourite bands then Lord. :lol:

.


Music without melody is just noise. :D


I've not heard it.

The set-list is good one. However, it was originally released as a bootleg with some poor sound

Cogs In Cogs
Proclamation / Funny Ways
Experience
So Sincere
Advent Of Panurge
For Nobody #1
For Nobody #2

It is from the Free Hand tour but as you say

Tracks 1-5 are reportedly from Santa Monica, California, January 1, 1975. However, are actually from a Capitol Studios recording session on February 13, 1975, according to Alan Kinsman, who says, "on January 1, 1975, GG were all at home in the UK, some of them no doubt recovering from the excesses of New Year parties!"

Tracks 6-7 are from Electric Ballroom, Dallas, March 19, 1977, reportedly played during a soundcheck

Somebody is trying to cash in methinks....

Irrespective of the sound if you don't like it then GG aren't for you Bob - even if the clarity was crystal clear.

However, I would never describe them as lacking 'melody' - and certainly not the instigators of 'noise'

As Zappa said you either get it or you don't.

Not harm done




.


Yeah, the sound was pretty poor but I was playing via laptop so it didn’t hurt the ears as such. Well, not the sound quality anyway. ;)

I actually don’t mind SOME GG, and SOME Zappa (as you know) but it’s the clever clever jerky stuff with squawks, hollers and Gawd knows what that I don’t think I’ll ever get, but I will play Three Friends again soon.

In prog, one man’s noise is another man’s nirvana, while that man’s derivative claptrap is the other one’s ecstasy. :D

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 8600
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Lord Rother » 06 Jan 2022, 21:08

Anima Mundi - Insomnia

This Cuban band have put together some terrific albums, but the band members seem to go through revolving doors so there’s no consistency. For me, this one falls way short of the wonderful “The Way” and the jolly decent “Jagganath Orbit”.

Image

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7777
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 07 Jan 2022, 09:06

Lord Rother wrote:
C wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:
Music without melody is just noise. :D


I've not heard it.

The set-list is good one. However, it was originally released as a bootleg with some poor sound

Cogs In Cogs
Proclamation / Funny Ways
Experience
So Sincere
Advent Of Panurge
For Nobody #1
For Nobody #2

It is from the Free Hand tour but as you say

Tracks 1-5 are reportedly from Santa Monica, California, January 1, 1975. However, are actually from a Capitol Studios recording session on February 13, 1975, according to Alan Kinsman, who says, "on January 1, 1975, GG were all at home in the UK, some of them no doubt recovering from the excesses of New Year parties!"

Tracks 6-7 are from Electric Ballroom, Dallas, March 19, 1977, reportedly played during a soundcheck

Somebody is trying to cash in methinks....

Irrespective of the sound if you don't like it then GG aren't for you Bob - even if the clarity was crystal clear.

However, I would never describe them as lacking 'melody' - and certainly not the instigators of 'noise'

As Zappa said you either get it or you don't.

Not harm done




.


Yeah, the sound was pretty poor but I was playing via laptop so it didn’t hurt the ears as such. Well, not the sound quality anyway. ;)

I actually don’t mind SOME GG, and SOME Zappa (as you know) but it’s the clever clever jerky stuff with squawks, hollers and Gawd knows what that I don’t think I’ll ever get, but I will play Three Friends again soon.

In prog, one man’s noise is another man’s nirvana, while that man’s derivative claptrap is the other one’s ecstasy. :D



:D


.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 67028
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 07 Jan 2022, 09:25

NP

[well worth a listen if not familiar]

Image




.
C wrote:Just blank the fucque-wit

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 8600
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Lord Rother » 07 Jan 2022, 09:52

Don't think I've ever played this one before. :o

Image

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 67028
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 07 Jan 2022, 10:05

Lord Rother wrote:Don't think I've ever played this one before. :o

Image


A good album!




.
C wrote:Just blank the fucque-wit

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7777
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 07 Jan 2022, 10:23

C wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Don't think I've ever played this one before. :o

Image


A good album!


.




Not often I disagree with you C. but I think this is one of the worst albums in their whole catalogue.



.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7777
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 07 Jan 2022, 10:29

NP


Image


Not their best by any means but an okay listen once in a while.

.

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 8600
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Lord Rother » 07 Jan 2022, 11:42

C wrote:Bob, have listen to this:

Image

.


Just played. Not their worst. :D

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 67028
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 07 Jan 2022, 13:07

robertff wrote:
C wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Don't think I've ever played this one before. :o

Image


A good album!


.




Not often I disagree with you C. but I think this is one of the worst albums in their whole catalogue.



.


Their first without Green and it shows- admittedly

It contains some good stuff and I am sure there are worse Mac albums - post Tango in the Night perhaps....?!

Back to the real stuff:

NP

Image




.
C wrote:Just blank the fucque-wit

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7777
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 07 Jan 2022, 13:44

C wrote:
robertff wrote:
C wrote:
A good album!


.




Not often I disagree with you C. but I think this is one of the worst albums in their whole catalogue.



.


Their first without Green and it shows- admittedly

It contains some good stuff and I am sure there are worse Mac albums - post Tango in the Night perhaps....?!

Back to the real stuff:

NP

Image


.



Good album spoilt by too many Jeremy Spencer's Elmore James impersonations - Green was much too democratic.

Got all their autographs when I saw them live at the time which I then stuck on the back of this album - shame I sold it. :roll:


.
Last edited by robertff on 07 Jan 2022, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7777
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 07 Jan 2022, 13:46

NP


Image



.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 67028
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 07 Jan 2022, 14:14

Lord Rother wrote:
C wrote:Bob, have listen to this:

Image

.


Just played. Not their worst. :D


:lol:



.
C wrote:Just blank the fucque-wit

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 67028
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 07 Jan 2022, 14:17

robertff wrote:NP


Image

.


An excellent album

However, I much prefer the original cover rather than the 1998 reissue

Image

A track of stunning beauty and distressing angst



Your lunacy fits neatly with my own
My very own






.
C wrote:Just blank the fucque-wit

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 8600
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Lord Rother » 07 Jan 2022, 19:37

The 1st 3 albums from Dutch band Knight Area.

They have developed a significantly harder sound in recent years and a new vocalist who adds to that. The reference might be lost on here I suspect but these early albums were somewhat reminiscent of another good Dutch band, Silhouette.

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 8600
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Lord Rother » 07 Jan 2022, 19:45

The Cuban band live in Germany.

Some of their music doesn’t really grab me but this does have some excellent material, mainly the tracks taken from The Way, which I referred to yesterday.

Image

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 8600
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Lord Rother » 07 Jan 2022, 19:51

On balance I prefer Berlin but this is still very good.

Image

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 8600
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Lord Rother » 07 Jan 2022, 20:03

C wrote:
A track of stunning beauty and distressing angst



Your lunacy fits neatly with my own
My very own


.


First time I’ve heard that, and whilst I do find his voice quite distressing, there’s a chance that track could grow on me.