REAP CORNER

Do talk back
robertff

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 09 Nov 2021, 12:27

NP

Not the usual thing I play but I thought one one of Lord North's cover quiz pictures might have come from this so it has prompted a play. Sort of progressive in their own way, I loved the cover to this album, their very own Sgt. Pepper type work of art, shame it wasn't a gatefold. Can honestly say I bought this record because of the cover art, a new thread perhaps?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Nov 2021, 18:42

Camel - I Can See Your House from Here 1979
The weakest Camel album I own, bought for "Ice" only. The usual tropes apply to late-seventies prog: a more commercial-sounding endeavor, shorter songs, etc. And all for naught, because it didn't sell any better than what came before. Not horrible by any means, but rather pointless.
it's weird how carlsson has managed to get wilson over a barrel and then persuade him to let the rest of the PROG goons perform anal chugs on him in said position.

my point is that wilson has sold his arse cheaply. it's embarrassing to read.

-skope

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 Nov 2021, 19:25

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Camel - I Can See Your House from Here 1979
The weakest Camel album I own, bought for "Ice" only. The usual tropes apply to late-seventies prog: a more commercial-sounding endeavor, shorter songs, etc. And all for naught, because it didn't sell any better than what came before. Not horrible by any means, but rather pointless.

certainly far from 'great'....

NP

This is excellent

DarknessFish wrote:Rother's picture quiz is cool, but I'm losing the will when you end up trying to guess albums by The Pineapple Thief.

John_K wrote:In my 50s I've become an Apprentice Prog Goon, starting with the big-hitters, and working my way to BBT...

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Nov 2021, 19:33

I bought that one too, C. I'll review it soon.
it's weird how carlsson has managed to get wilson over a barrel and then persuade him to let the rest of the PROG goons perform anal chugs on him in said position.

-skope

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 Nov 2021, 20:09

Matt Wilson wrote:I bought that one too, C. I'll review it soon.

Excellent - I'll look forward to that.

Certainly a return to form, but that was the end as far as I was concerned

DarknessFish wrote:Rother's picture quiz is cool, but I'm losing the will when you end up trying to guess albums by The Pineapple Thief.

John_K wrote:In my 50s I've become an Apprentice Prog Goon, starting with the big-hitters, and working my way to BBT...

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 09 Nov 2021, 20:56

Cyan was initially formed in the 80s, main man being Rob Reed, he of Magenta.

It’s been a side project with a number of releases down the years, when free time from his other projects allows.

His music rarely shows on Spotify so, despite being interested, I haven’t heard any of their material.

However, there’s been a new band put together to re-record / reimagine the debut album For King and Country featuring (and this particulary grabbed my interest) the marvellous Peter Jones, the blind multi-instrumentalist, velvet voiced chap who now performs with Camel, Red Bazaar and is Tiger Moth Tales. (I first brought him to Reap’s Corner’s attention about 6 years ago, with a couple of acoustic covers of Genesis songs which, IIRC, were well received.

I actually heard this track on Caroline a couple of nights ago and was hugely impressed. I don’t tend to seek out music on YouTube but wondered if it might be there - little did I expect such a superb video.

I haven’t been bowled over by 2021 prog releases but this is bloomin’ excellent. Massive influences are obvious but well worth 15 mins of your time.

robertff

Postby robertff » 10 Nov 2021, 12:27

NP

Black vinyl version not gold

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Nov 2021, 18:58

NP

robertff

Postby robertff » 10 Nov 2021, 19:47

C wrote:NP

Never heard of them, Yes clones by all accounts.

C
Robust

Postby C » 11 Nov 2021, 08:52

robertff wrote:
C wrote:NP

Never heard of them, Yes clones by all accounts.

That is correct Rob

robertff

Postby robertff » 11 Nov 2021, 14:27

Broad church but for quite a while there they brought something very different to the table - one of my favourite bands from that era.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Nov 2021, 17:11

Le Orme - Felona E Serona
I'm getting used to this Italian Prog. Give in to the operatic vocals, gorgeous music, and romantic ambience of the endeavor, and don't worry about not being able to know what they're singing about. I don't know if I could tell these guys from PFM or Banco, but I enjoy what I've heard so far.

-skope

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Nov 2021, 18:29

Zappa - Philly '76
Pretty good 2-disc live Zappa with exquisite versions of "Black Napkins," "Advance Romance" (combined they last over a half an hour), a version of "You Didn't Try to Call Me" sung by backing singer Bianca Odin as a straight R&B number, (not how it was done on Freak Out) and other assorted sundry.

-skope

robertff

Postby robertff » 11 Nov 2021, 19:01

NP

Broad church - like the Cure, for a while they brought something interesting to the table, great band, excellent cover design.

C
Robust

Postby C » 11 Nov 2021, 19:06

RIP Graeme

C
Robust

Postby C » 11 Nov 2021, 19:07

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Zappa - Philly '76
Pretty good 2-disc live Zappa with exquisite versions of "Black Napkins," "Advance Romance" (combined they last over a half an hour), a version of "You Didn't Try to Call Me" sung by backing singer Bianca Odin as a straight R&B number, (not how it was done on Freak Out) and other assorted sundry.

Yes - I have this one

Very good

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Nov 2021, 19:40

Have loved the cover for years, but this is my first time actually hearing it! I'm digging it so far.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Nov 2021, 19:43

Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash - Replacements
New box chronicling the debut LP by Minneapolis' fave sons. Four CDs and an LP do the trick nicely. They made better albums than this, but I like Sorry Ma just fine.

Fresh Cream Super Deluxe Edition
Three CDs and a blu give us the mono/stereo, live, and even French EP versions of the band's '66 songs. I think Cream are one of my favorite groups.

-skope

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Nov 2021, 19:49

Matt Wilson wrote:Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash - Replacements
New box chronicling the debut LP by Minneapolis' fave sons. Four CDs and an LP do the trick nicely. They made better albums than this, but I like Sorry Ma just fine.

They may have made better albums, but for at least the last ten years Sorry Ma is the one I've been most inclined to put on. Love the box.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 11 Nov 2021, 23:53