REAP CORNER

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 12 Jan 2022, 14:34

I like me a bit of R&L on a bright, sunny crisp afternoon

Pottered around in the garden - this seemed perfect afterwards

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Jan 2022, 18:00

Never heard of them before, but this album is really good. A track came up on one of the "obscure" comps.

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Jan 2022, 18:06

Lord Rother wrote:Image

That looks like Mata Hari the WWI spy [allegedly]

NP

A corker - it ROCKS!

Only a couple of Budgie albums on Spotify etc which is a shame.

No idea why

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Jan 2022, 20:29

slightbreeze wrote:
robertff wrote:NP

Great modern psych band.

A cracking album! Authentic sounds plus great songs. The follow up "Volcano" sounded fine to my cloth ears, but reviews were less than favourable. Never heard the third "Hot motion"

Played that a couple of times this week - yeah, tis good.

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 Jan 2022, 13:58

NP

Arrived yesterday, first play, like it so far and the vinyl and cover are both a work of art. Lovely shiny gatefold cover with large poster inside housing a psychedelic splatter record. Great stuff.

C
Robust

Postby C » 13 Jan 2022, 15:29

Arrived yesterday, first play, like it so far and the vinyl and cover are both a work of art. Lovely shiny gatefold cover with large poster inside housing a psychedelic splatter record. Great stuff.

Sounds nice Rob

Very nice

It's been a while since I played this gem (6 months I reckon!)

NP

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 13 Jan 2022, 17:21

Very tempted, very tempted indeed

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 Jan 2022, 18:59

slightbreeze wrote:

Very tempted, very tempted indeed

It’s almost a cross between the two previous albums, I enjoyed it.

robertff

Postby robertff » 14 Jan 2022, 13:42

NP

Wasn’t very keen on this record when it first came out, in fact I though it was rubbish - mind you I was infatuated with the British Blues Boom groups at the time. When it first came out I was at boarding school and my friend Colin Little bought it and put it on the only record player in the Common Room, it wasn’t very well received by any of us I remember, although, curiously, we did like Arnold Layne. Subsequently of course I have grown to like it.

I know this album is a favourite Floyd album for many but for me they did much better.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Jan 2022, 16:16

Wasn’t very keen on this record when it first came out, in fact I though it was rubbish - mind you I was infatuated with the British Blues Boom groups at the time. When it first came out I was at boarding school and my friend Colin Little bought it and put it on the only record player in the Common Room, it wasn’t very well received by any of us I remember, although, curiously, we did like Arnold Layne. Subsequently of course I have grown to like it.

I know this album is a favourite Floyd album for many but for me they did much better.

It's a quintessential English psych LP though, almost the prime example of such along with Sgt Pepper's. I don't see how it can be regarded as anything other than a classic, and the mono mix you show is the preferred way to hear it. While I don't agree that it's the only great Floyd album as some suggest, it's certainly their best '60s offering. Nothing else quite sounds like Piper either. That curious mixture of loud, almost abrasive guitar, with childlike lyrics, combined with the birth of space-rock, is unparalleled.

robertff

Postby robertff » 14 Jan 2022, 17:02

Matt Wilson wrote:

It's a quintessential English psych LP though, almost the prime example of such along with Sgt Pepper's. I don't see how it can be regarded as anything other than a classic, and the mono mix you show is the preferred way to hear it. While I don't agree that it's the only great Floyd album as some suggest, it's certainly their best '60s offering. Nothing else quite sounds like Piper either. That curious mixture of loud, almost abrasive guitar, with childlike lyrics, combined with the birth of space-rock, is unparalleled.

I didn’t say it was the ‘only great Floyd album’.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Jan 2022, 17:04

LOL, when did I say you did?

robertff

Postby robertff » 14 Jan 2022, 19:41

NP

Think you might like this C. - noisy, droning, garagey psych, with a touch of Kraftwerk and an excellent cover design, a bit like Zep’s III. It’s a little like the very best of the Dandy Warhols - really like this.

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Jan 2022, 21:46

Think you might like this C. - noisy, droning, garagey psych, with a touch of Kraftwerk and an excellent cover design, a bit like Zep’s III. It’s a little like the very best of the Dandy Warhols - really like this.

Thanks Rob - I’ll check it out

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Jan 2022, 11:57

Couple of decent Live Albums this morning:

robertff

Postby robertff » 17 Jan 2022, 14:31

NP

Excellent record.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Jan 2022, 15:10

2 more very good live albums:

Riverside - Lost 'n' Found

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 Jan 2022, 18:55

NP

What lovely record this is?

robertff

Postby robertff » 17 Jan 2022, 19:10

One band I would have liked to have seen around this time.

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 Jan 2022, 19:21

robertff wrote:Image

One band I would have liked to have seen around this time.

Robust stuff!

Better than the live album that was released at the time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recorded_Live

Return to “Yakety Yak”