Do talk back
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Matt Wilson » 18 Jun 2022, 20:56

ConnyOlivetti wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Gong - Camembert Electrique 1971
Their second LP and probably best pre-trilogy album, but I wouldn't know as this is the only pre-Flying Teapot disc of theirs I own. Not everything works (like most of their albums), but enough does for me to recommend it for those interested.

Great album, love all of it. What tracks don't work in your opinion?
This remaster (from original master tapes, for the first time) is highly recommended.
CD
https://www.discogs.com/release/6793134 ... Electrique
Vinyl
https://www.discogs.com/release/6769176 ... Electrique

I don't know it all that well, despite owning a CD-R that some BCBer (Stephen?) sent my eons ago. I recently bought the SHM-CD and played it twice in my car driving down from LA to San Diego for the weekend. The ones that stood out to me were "You Can't Kill Me," "I've Been Stone Before," "Fohat Digs Holes in Space," "And You Tried so Hard," and "Tropical Fish." It was easily as good as Flying Teapot, but not as good as Angels Egg, or You.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 18 Jun 2022, 21:56

robertff wrote:Image

If you like noisy C. you might like this.

I think you and I both know he really won’t. :lol:

robertff

Postby robertff » 19 Jun 2022, 17:16

NP

Lovely album from the early 90s - full of music.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 20 Jun 2022, 08:46

Got that one at the time for the Waterboys connection, but it stands on its own as a bit of a classic.

robertff

Postby robertff » 20 Jun 2022, 11:29

Lord Rother wrote:Got that one at the time for the Waterboys connection, but it stands on its own as a bit of a classic.

Forgot about the Waterboys connection, although I was not a fan. Bought this years ago when it was first released, think Melody Maker gave it a glowing review if I remember correctly which encouraged me to buy it.

robertff

Postby robertff » 20 Jun 2022, 11:33

Many tried successfully but I don't think anyone ever did Dylan as well as the Byrds - glorious music.

Does anyone still play Dylan - was never a fan myself?

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 20 Jun 2022, 11:59

Many tried successfully but I don't think anyone ever did Dylan as well as the Byrds - glorious music.

Think I own a "Best of", "The basement tapes" and that's it. Considering he is/was one of the most influential artists of the 20th century, my only love for him is when other artists record a rip roaring cover eg Julie Driscoll, Ferry, the Byrds ......

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 20 Jun 2022, 12:40

robertff

Postby robertff » 20 Jun 2022, 13:49

slightbreeze wrote:

Think I own a "Best of", "The basement tapes" and that's it. Considering he is/was one of the most influential artists of the 20th century, my only love for him is when other artists record a rip roaring cover eg Julie Driscoll, Ferry, the Byrds ......

Presumably you’ve heard Ferry’s ‘Dylanesque’ which I think is excellent, although diehard Dylan devotees probably hate it - I know my friend Tim did and he was a Ferry fan!

robertff

Postby robertff » 20 Jun 2022, 13:53

Not as good as the previous album but enough good ideas to keep it interesting. Don’t know why they needed to change the cover design from this original to something more like a Lichtenstein throwaway.

robertff

Postby robertff » 20 Jun 2022, 14:21

Love - Out Here

This has just arrived, been after it for quite some time but always been fairly expensive. Managed recently to get hold of a reissue reasonably cheaply.

Just about listened to it all the way through now for the first time and it’s more than reasonable, quite like most of it but whoever thought it was a good idea to include an interminable and utterly dull and boring horrendously long drum solo on it? What was the point?

Ginger Baker has a lot to answer for.

Is there any album which really benefits from having a drum solo on it? Obviously, I don’t think so, really boils down to a lack of material at the time doesn’t it?

Last edited by robertff on 20 Jun 2022, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 20 Jun 2022, 14:32

robertff wrote:

Presumably you’ve heard Ferry’s ‘Dylanesque’ which I think is excellent, although diehard Dylan devotees probably hate it - I know my friend Tim did and he was a Ferry fan!

Much as I love Ferry, that's still too much Dylan in one sitting

robertff

Postby robertff » 20 Jun 2022, 15:06

slightbreeze wrote:
robertff wrote:

Much as I love Ferry, that's still too much Dylan in one sitting

:D

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Jun 2022, 15:16

Love - Out Here

This has just arrived, been after it for quite some time but always been fairly expensive. Managed recently to get hold of a reissue reasonably cheaply.

I remember hearing this for the very first time on the week of its release in my mate Johnny Winter's bedroom.

We were all very disappointed

Time for a reappraisal 50 plus years on.....?

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

robertff

Postby robertff » 20 Jun 2022, 15:25

C wrote:

Love - Out Here

I remember hearing this for the very first time on the week of its release in my mate Johnny Winter's bedroom.

We were all very disappointed

Time for a reappraisal 50 plus years on.....?

See my comment added to my previous post C.

robertff

Postby robertff » 20 Jun 2022, 15:59

Prompted by Googa’s comment, I love this album, love the Doors, lots of albums were pretentious in the 60s.

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Jun 2022, 16:26

robertff wrote:
Just about listened to it all the way through now for the first time and it’s more than reasonable, quite like most of it but whoever thought it was a good idea to include an interminable and utterly dull and boring horrendously long drum solo on it? What was the point?

Ginger Baker has a lot to answer for.

Is there any album which really benefits from having a drum solo on it? Obviously, I don’t think so, really boils down to a lack of material at the time doesn’t it?

Yes, I recall that

Some tub solos are definitely worth listening too.

The Love one does not fall into that category!

One your question Rob: one wouldn't go to see Ginger Baker's Airforce at the Royal Albert Hall in January 1970 if one wasn't up for a bit of tub thumping

Some like it....!

ooooof!

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Jun 2022, 16:34

Out Here is a pretty good album. "I'll Pray for You," "Listen to My Song," "I Still Wonder," "Run to the Top," and "Gather Round" - all ace.

robertff

Postby robertff » 20 Jun 2022, 16:54

NP

Not sure I’ve ever seen this lot mentioned, anyone a fan? Got a few of their albums, the better ones, but don’t play them much but I do quite like them. Reasonably popular in the US and in some European countries but pretty much ignored in the UK. In my mind I think of them as similar to AC/DC, nowhere near as popular though sales wise.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Jun 2022, 16:57

Cheap Trick are more power pop than the semi-Metal of AC/DC. All of CT's '70s albums, including Dream Police, are pretty good. All of the records before this are even better.

Return to “Yakety Yak”