REAP CORNER

Do talk back
User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 10614
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Neil Jung » 04 Jul 2021, 09:13

Lord Rother wrote:I found Jade Warrior grew on me over time.

—————-

Released last year - jolly pleasant. Annie Haslam is perfectly fine, but sounds a bit pipey, like an old lady singing. Much the same as the sadly departed Judy Dyble did on her latter recordings.

Image


Jade Warrior Way Of The Sun is magnificent.

I used a David Minasian track featuring Steve Hackett in the Prog cup. It was the Proggiest thing I chose. It lost.
[indistinct chatter]

User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 10614
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Neil Jung » 04 Jul 2021, 09:14

Neil Jung wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:I found Jade Warrior grew on me over time.

—————-

Released last year - jolly pleasant. Annie Haslam is perfectly fine, but sounds a bit pipey, like an old lady singing. Much the same as the sadly departed Judy Dyble did on her latter recordings.

Image


Jade Warrior Way Of The Sun is magnificent.

I used a David Minasian track featuring Steve Hackett in the Prog cup. It was the Proggiest thing I chose. It lost.


Yes Annie Haslams voice is shot.
[indistinct chatter]

User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 10614
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Neil Jung » 04 Jul 2021, 09:19

robertff wrote:
C wrote:
robertff wrote:


14 I've never even heard of.



.


Killing Floor...?

.



Nope, I've heard of them, seem to remember them being on the college circuit around the time and probably got the odd track somewhere by them. The 14 are:

Creepy John Thomas
Sweet Slag
Mighty Hard
Distant Jim
Hard Stuff
Wicked Lady - although their name rings a bell, probably got something else by them on another comp.
Grit
Third World War
Stoned Rose
Monument - although their name rings a bell, probably got something else by them on another comp.
Samuel Prody
Bone
Curtis Knight Zeus
Bullfrog

A few of these are most likely on the first two in this series but their names don't immediately ring a bell, I'll have to check.


.


I bought a Third World War album in a sale. It was a really angry precursor to punk. I hated it. Had they made it a few years later they’d probably have been huge.
[indistinct chatter]

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7092
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 04 Jul 2021, 09:58

Neil Jung wrote:
robertff wrote:
C wrote:
Killing Floor...?

.



Nope, I've heard of them, seem to remember them being on the college circuit around the time and probably got the odd track somewhere by them. The 14 are:

Creepy John Thomas
Sweet Slag
Mighty Hard
Distant Jim
Hard Stuff
Wicked Lady - although their name rings a bell, probably got something else by them on another comp.
Grit
Third World War
Stoned Rose
Monument - although their name rings a bell, probably got something else by them on another comp.
Samuel Prody
Bone
Curtis Knight Zeus
Bullfrog

A few of these are most likely on the first two in this series but their names don't immediately ring a bell, I'll have to check.


.


I bought a Third World War album in a sale. It was a really angry precursor to punk. I hated it. Had they made it a few years later they’d probably have been huge.



If it's either their first or second album and you've still got it, it's definitely worth something, especially if it's in excellent condition and with the original insert for their first album. Both could fetch £50 - £100 each, perhaps even more.


.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 64112
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 04 Jul 2021, 12:47

NP

Ready to ROCK....?!

Image

What a voice!






.
John aka Josh wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I'd go with a squirrel's testicle, or maybe a racoon's.

I'm a hedgehog testicle kind of guy.
Like onion bhajis but earthier.

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 7970
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Lord Rother » 04 Jul 2021, 17:35

Carlsson wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Majestic, epic and marvellous.

6 tracks and 100 minutes.

It’s not quite prog metal imo but close. There is so much prog metal about and I tend to avoid most described as such (fear of chugging, which I dislike intensely) but this is just great.

Image


Sounds interesting

Post a robust track please?

[/img]

.


Doubt this is up your alley tbh, but there again you do like a bit of noise, you.


User avatar
slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 10573
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby slightbreeze » 04 Jul 2021, 17:43

Neil Jung wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:I found Jade Warrior grew on me over time.

—————-

Released last year - jolly pleasant. Annie Haslam is perfectly fine, but sounds a bit pipey, like an old lady singing. Much the same as the sadly departed Judy Dyble did on her latter recordings.



Yes Annie Haslams voice is shot.

I wish it had been shot when Renaissance were at their peak. At might have, at least, made them sound a bit more interesting than the wishy-washy, bland music they were making

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7092
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 04 Jul 2021, 19:48

NP


Image


Better album than expected.

.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 64112
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 05 Jul 2021, 12:25

robertff wrote:NP


Image


Better album than expected.

.


It's very good.

Try this (now playing):

Image




.
John aka Josh wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I'd go with a squirrel's testicle, or maybe a racoon's.

I'm a hedgehog testicle kind of guy.
Like onion bhajis but earthier.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 64112
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 06 Jul 2021, 11:23

Lord Rother wrote:
Doubt this is up your alley tbh, but there again you do like a bit of noise, you.



Hmmm...

Interesting.

I enjoyed the prog metal bits (I like a bit of noise me) but it was too much of a dog's breakfast for me regarding the various styles with vocals that I am not too keen on

On the positive side, if it was edited down to 5 minutes I might play it again

Thanks for posting Bob - I'm always open to new music me...





;)
John aka Josh wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I'd go with a squirrel's testicle, or maybe a racoon's.

I'm a hedgehog testicle kind of guy.
Like onion bhajis but earthier.

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 7970
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Lord Rother » 06 Jul 2021, 17:09

:D

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 64112
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 06 Jul 2021, 18:12

NP

Image

My fave




.
John aka Josh wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I'd go with a squirrel's testicle, or maybe a racoon's.

I'm a hedgehog testicle kind of guy.
Like onion bhajis but earthier.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7092
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 06 Jul 2021, 19:50

Carlsson wrote:NP

Image

My fave




.




Great album but my fave is The Inner Mounting Flame.



.

User avatar
slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 10573
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby slightbreeze » 06 Jul 2021, 21:09

robertff wrote:
Carlsson wrote:NP

Image

My fave




.




Great album but my fave is The Inner Mounting Flame.



.

Likewise, but only just

User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 10614
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Neil Jung » 06 Jul 2021, 22:27

robertff wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:
robertff wrote:

Nope, I've heard of them, seem to remember them being on the college circuit around the time and probably got the odd track somewhere by them. The 14 are:

Creepy John Thomas
Sweet Slag
Mighty Hard
Distant Jim
Hard Stuff
Wicked Lady - although their name rings a bell, probably got something else by them on another comp.
Grit
Third World War
Stoned Rose
Monument - although their name rings a bell, probably got something else by them on another comp.
Samuel Prody
Bone
Curtis Knight Zeus
Bullfrog

A few of these are most likely on the first two in this series but their names don't immediately ring a bell, I'll have to check.


.


I bought a Third World War album in a sale. It was a really angry precursor to punk. I hated it. Had they made it a few years later they’d probably have been huge.



If it's either their first or second album and you've still got it, it's definitely worth something, especially if it's in excellent condition and with the original insert for their first album. Both could fetch £50 - £100 each, perhaps even more.


.


Unfortunately I hated it so much I used a magnifying glass to etch patterns into the vinyl before throwing it away.
[indistinct chatter]

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7092
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 07 Jul 2021, 08:53

Neil Jung wrote:
robertff wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:
I bought a Third World War album in a sale. It was a really angry precursor to punk. I hated it. Had they made it a few years later they’d probably have been huge.



If it's either their first or second album and you've still got it, it's definitely worth something, especially if it's in excellent condition and with the original insert for their first album. Both could fetch £50 - £100 each, perhaps even more.


.


Unfortunately I hated it so much I used a magnifying glass to etch patterns into the vinyl before throwing it away.





The consequences of our actions.



.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7092
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 08 Jul 2021, 13:45

NP


Image



Good album.


.

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 7970
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Lord Rother » 08 Jul 2021, 21:38

I love John Grant’s Queen of Denmark from 2010 but haven’t cared much for what came after, but this new one “Boy From Michigan” sounds good on 1st play.

Image

I heard this track on Caroline last night - sublime.

Last edited by Lord Rother on 08 Jul 2021, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 7970
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Lord Rother » 08 Jul 2021, 23:08

Oh and whilst I’m at it, here is the title track to Queen of Denmark - one of my all time favourite songs.

If you’ve not heard it before, you need to.


User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7092
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 09 Jul 2021, 13:55

NP



Image



I like this album, probably don't pl;ay it as much as other yes albums but there are some fabulous tracks on here: The Prophet, Astral Traveller, Then - no clunkers. I can see why some don't like the strings but I'm happy with it. Shame it didn't have a much better eye catching gatefold cover.


.