REAP CORNER

Do talk back
robertff

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 01 May 2021, 15:26

C wrote:NP

The A-side of the album is a thirty-minute piece originally intended as a background drone for guitarist Robert Fripp to play over in a series of concerts. Eno set up a synthesiser with built-in memory along with a tape delay system, but was immediately interrupted: "people started knocking on the door, and I was answering the phone and adjusting all this stuff as it ran. I almost made that without listening to it. It was really automatic music".

It begins with two melodic phrases of different lengths played back from a synthesiser's digital recall system. This signal is then run through a graphic equaliser to occasionally change its timbre. It is then run through an echo unit before being recorded onto a tape machine The tape runs to the take-up reel of a second machine, and the output of that machine is fed back into the first tape machine which records the overlapped signals. The next day, Fripp visited and Eno accidentally played the piece back at half-speed, thinking that "it was probably one of the best things I’d ever done and I didn’t even realise I was doing it at the time."

The second half of the album consists of three related pieces, collectively titled "Three Variations on the Canon in D Major by Johann Pachelbel", performed by the Cockpit Ensemble. Eno described the music as the result of a self-generating, self-regulating system, with the input to the system taking the form of two- or four-measure fragments of Pachelbel's canon, and the system being the performers with a set of instructions.

Each variation involves a different way of manipulating and overlaying the musical fragments.

In the first piece, "Fullness Of Wind", the players' tempos are decreased, with the rate of decrease being related to the relative pitch of the instruments, so that lower instruments are slowest.

In the second piece, "French Catalogues", groups of notes are associated with time-related directions from different parts of the score.

The third piece, "Brutal Ardour", presents the players with sequences of notes that are related but of different lengths.

Got it?

Rock and Roll, yeah! :D

Crikey, just looked and realised I've got this, don't think I've ever played it, must have seemed a good idea at the time. :lol:

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 May 2021, 15:33

robertff wrote:

The A-side of the album is a thirty-minute piece originally intended as a background drone for guitarist Robert Fripp to play over in a series of concerts. Eno set up a synthesiser with built-in memory along with a tape delay system, but was immediately interrupted: "people started knocking on the door, and I was answering the phone and adjusting all this stuff as it ran. I almost made that without listening to it. It was really automatic music".

It begins with two melodic phrases of different lengths played back from a synthesiser's digital recall system. This signal is then run through a graphic equaliser to occasionally change its timbre. It is then run through an echo unit before being recorded onto a tape machine The tape runs to the take-up reel of a second machine, and the output of that machine is fed back into the first tape machine which records the overlapped signals. The next day, Fripp visited and Eno accidentally played the piece back at half-speed, thinking that "it was probably one of the best things I’d ever done and I didn’t even realise I was doing it at the time."

The second half of the album consists of three related pieces, collectively titled "Three Variations on the Canon in D Major by Johann Pachelbel", performed by the Cockpit Ensemble. Eno described the music as the result of a self-generating, self-regulating system, with the input to the system taking the form of two- or four-measure fragments of Pachelbel's canon, and the system being the performers with a set of instructions.

Each variation involves a different way of manipulating and overlaying the musical fragments.

In the first piece, "Fullness Of Wind", the players' tempos are decreased, with the rate of decrease being related to the relative pitch of the instruments, so that lower instruments are slowest.

In the second piece, "French Catalogues", groups of notes are associated with time-related directions from different parts of the score.

The third piece, "Brutal Ardour", presents the players with sequences of notes that are related but of different lengths.

Got it?

Rock and Roll, yeah! :D

Crikey, just looked and realised I've got this, don't think I've ever played it, must have seemed a good idea at the time. :lol:

Try it - it's very good!

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 01 May 2021, 19:10

Listening to this for the first time ever.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

robertff

Postby robertff » 01 May 2021, 19:45

pcqgod wrote:Image

Listening to this for the first time ever.

I like it well enough.

C
Robust

Postby C » 02 May 2021, 14:46

NP

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Postby C » 02 May 2021, 16:08

NP [Great band]

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 02 May 2021, 18:33

Walpurgis - Queen Of Saba

German / Polish band’s only album, released in 1972, features one member of Wallenstein, Jurgen Dollase on keyboards.

Good psych Krautrock, English vocals a bit weak, but nice guitars. I like it.

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 May 2021, 16:59

NP

LET'S ROCK!!!!!

robertff

Postby robertff » 03 May 2021, 19:35

LET'S ROCK!!!!!

Got a few of theirs C. picked a number up at 50p each. Quite like them, their cover designs do them an injustice.

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 May 2021, 22:11

robertff wrote:

LET'S ROCK!!!!!

Got a few of theirs C. picked a number up at 50p each. Quite like them, their cover designs do them an injustice.

Indeed - the first couple or three are excellent

C
Robust

Postby C » 04 May 2021, 18:18

Steven Wilson remix of GG's Freehand

The accompanying video by Noah Shulman

Very Python-esque

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 05 May 2021, 09:03

His sophomore album released in 1968, produced by Al Stewart (although AS says he did bugger all, not knowing anything much about recording at the time) - JM's voice sounds so very different from future works.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 05 May 2021, 09:50

Much more recognisable...

Ranked as his best here: https://medium.com/6-album-sunday/john- ... 6e9169cd07

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 05 May 2021, 10:15

From some Senegalese fishing village with a bohemian community apparently.

Anyway, it's very pleasant and perfect to have on in the background while working.

And there's something about it I really like.
Bugger off.

C
Robust

Postby C » 05 May 2021, 10:45

Lord Rother wrote:Much more recognisable...

Ranked as his best here: https://medium.com/6-album-sunday/john- ... 6e9169cd07

A corker Bob!

NP

One of my faves

C
Robust

Postby C » 05 May 2021, 10:50

Lord Rother wrote:Ranked as his best here: https://medium.com/6-album-sunday/john- ... 6e9169cd07

The two albums with Bev - 24th and 28th - ludicrous!

robertff

Postby robertff » 05 May 2021, 19:31

NP

Took me quite a few years to even hear this album let alone get to like it, now it would easily be in my list of favourite albums. Love it, excuse the pun.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 05 May 2021, 21:25

C wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Ranked as his best here: https://medium.com/6-album-sunday/john- ... 6e9169cd07

The two albums with Bev - 24th and 28th - ludicrous!

There were a lot of live albums in that list!
“Erratic associate member”

C
Robust

Postby C » 05 May 2021, 22:21

robertff wrote:NP

Took me quite a few years to even hear this album let alone get to like it, now it would easily be in my list of favourite albums. Love it, excuse the pun.

Robust stuff!

I love it too :D

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 06 May 2021, 10:19

1st play for me.

Return to “Yakety Yak”