Postby robertff » 09 Jun 2024, 15:54

A very fine CSN album.

C
Robust

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 09 Jun 2024, 16:23

NP

Not as good as the debut but very robust nonetheless

NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

robertff

Postby robertff » 09 Jun 2024, 17:09

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 09 Jun 2024, 17:34

robertff wrote:Image

Apart from "Southern Cross", this album is, erm, how can I put this without offending, a crock of s****.
Please, Rob, don't say "Live it up" is next on the turntable :(

robertff

Postby robertff » 09 Jun 2024, 19:16

ChrisB wrote:
robertff wrote:Image

Apart from "Southern Cross", this album is, erm, how can I put this without offending, a crock of s****.
Please, Rob, don't say "Live it up" is next on the turntable :(

I like this album well enough Chris, don’t think I’ve got ‘Live It Up’ although I remember commenting some years ago that the cover for it must be one of the worst ever. There are many, many albums far worse than ‘Daylight Again’.

NP

Regarded by many as one of the finest rock albums ever made.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 09 Jun 2024, 19:30

I remember when a lad came to school with this album, tucked under his arm. Sod the music, the album cover was awesome!

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 09 Jun 2024, 19:31

I zipped up my boots and went back to my roots today. "Texas Blues Man", by the one and only Lightning Hopkins. Simply recorded on his back porch in Centerville TX with some portable equipment. It just don't get much better than this. To be followed by "Po Lightnin'. And probably some Townes for dessert. Texas country blues at its very best. Hopkins is one of the main reasons I wanted to move to these parts. It certainly wasn't for the weather.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 10 Jun 2024, 10:48

I've tried this in the past and it wasn't to my taste. Having seen last week that C has played it 400 times (WTF?) thought, I dunno, maybe I should give it another try with an open mind.

I really did try, but Jeez, not sure how I made it past Track 1 (surely it can't all be that hurtful to the ears?) Actually I do know how I made it through - the boss came into my office for a chat so I was distracted for a bit - after 5 mins he did ask what the hell I was listening to though!! :lol:

Anyway, with distractions, I made it as far as 14 mins into Track 3, Moon In June before waving the white flag and concluding that anyone who has played it 400 times has to be mentally damaged. Cause or effect I don't know - take your pick.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 10 Jun 2024, 10:55

Lord Rother wrote:I've tried this in the past and it wasn't to my taste. Having seen last week that C has played it 400 times (WTF?) thought, I dunno, maybe I should give it another try with an open mind.

I really did try, but Jeez, not sure how I made it past Track 1 (surely it can't all be that hurtful to the ears?) Actually I do know how I made it through - the boss came into my office for a chat so I was distracted for a bit - after 5 mins he did ask what the hell I was listening to though!! :lol:

Anyway, with distractions, I made it as far as 14 mins into Track 3, Moon In June before waving the white flag and concluding that anyone who has played it 400 times has to be mentally damaged. Cause or effect I don't know - take your pick.

I refer the Honourable gentleman to my current signature.
"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

- Andrew Mueller It's Too Late To Die Young Now

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Jun 2024, 11:23

NP

Full of music

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 10 Jun 2024, 11:36

Last week I scored an unremastered CD of Diary Of A Hollow Horse by China Crisis. I have always enjoyed these guys, but like most I find them rather puzzling.

They started out fans of Talking Heads, Steely Dan, Bowie, and above all Brian Eno. Then discovered they could write catchy pop tunes. Well, leader Gary Daly found he could take the rest of the band's quirky demos and turn them into catchy wistful tunes that troubled the charts no end.

Then they got Walter Becker in to produce the third album, and he apparently joined the band for a spell. He bowed out for the next album but was back for Hollow Horse.

Immaculately played and produced (of course) CC are talented musicians with great instincts. The only thing I struggle with is the tilt towards cloying sweetness in some (detractors would say much) of their output.

But when I am in the mood I love it. Every album worth exploration, although I have never heard the debut. I dug out the first singles/b-sides comp China Crisis Collection, and purchased the fourth album in an expanded boxed set version (remaster/alternate takes and demos/live show) for pennies brand new:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Price-Par ... b5c3ddff0b

brilliantly executed pop songs with quirky edges - now there's a marketing pro earning their salary for a change

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 10 Jun 2024, 12:07

Enjoyed a track of theirs on one of the Cherry Red psychedleic comps, so thought I'd give their own comp a try.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 10 Jun 2024, 12:27

Lord Rother wrote:Enjoyed a track of theirs on one of the Cherry Red psychedleic comps, so thought I'd give their own comp a try.

Very enjoyable, but just missing that X factor

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Jun 2024, 13:47

Lord Rother wrote:I've tried this in the past and it wasn't to my taste. Having seen last week that C has played it 400 times (WTF?) thought, I dunno, maybe I should give it another try with an open mind.

:lol:

You tried!

If I could only take ten albums to a desert island this would be a no brainer definite!

I play a track of it everyday whilst on the treadmill!

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Jun 2024, 13:47

ChrisB wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Enjoyed a track of theirs on one of the Cherry Red psychedleic comps, so thought I'd give their own comp a try.

Simon Cowell…?

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 10 Jun 2024, 15:45

robertff

Postby robertff » 10 Jun 2024, 17:23

C wrote:

You tried!

If I could only take ten albums to a desert island this would be a no brainer definite!

I like this well enough but I've only listened to it now and again, well short of 400 times, so being mentally damaged is still some way off, hopefully.

;)

robertff

Postby robertff » 10 Jun 2024, 17:31

C wrote:
ChrisB wrote:

Simon Cowell…?

Wash your mouth out C. this is a proper music board not a manufactured and engineered plastic replica!

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Jun 2024, 17:34

robertff wrote:
C wrote:

You tried!

I like this well enough but I've only listened to it now and again, well short of 400 times, so being mentally damaged is still some way off, hopefully.

;)

Soft lads!

Bob, try Fifth (5), you and your boss will dislike that album even more….!

Sad

Very sad

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 10 Jun 2024, 18:46

I very much enjoyed his first 3 , then lost interest pretty quickly

Return to “Yakety Yak”