REAP CORNER

Do talk back
User avatar
ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 13043
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby ChrisB » 04 Jun 2024, 14:21

Image

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12750
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 04 Jun 2024, 14:26

ChrisB wrote:Image




Everyone needs one, I've got "Your New Favourite Band'.


.

User avatar
ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 13043
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby ChrisB » 04 Jun 2024, 14:41

Image

Image

User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 2466
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby mudshark » 04 Jun 2024, 14:48

robertff wrote:
ChrisB wrote:
C wrote:
Do you remember the media hype?

I saw them live around that time on John Peel’s show - very mediocre




.


Mediocre indeed, although, on paper, pretty good line up. Media hype....my God ....fly them to N.Y., promote them as the greatest thing since .....Moby Grape ;) :)



In some ways they were like Rockpile, full of talent but couldn't produce a decent record if they tried. The only song of BS that I like is Country Girl. When I first heard that I was ready to go full tilt and buy their other albums but started with a comp. That was enough to put me off.


.


You guys couldn't be more wrong. It's still pure pop music for the now people. Birthplace of not only Rockpile, but also The Rumour.
I'm not sure when this compilation came out, but it must be late 70s or early 80s. At least 10 of those 15 Thoughts are Very listenable. Home In My Hand is fantastic. Pub Rock the wat it was meant to be and Ducks Deluxe wasn't good enough to produce.

I'm very disappointed in you old British geezers, of whom I suspected had a bit of a good taste in music.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12750
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 04 Jun 2024, 14:54

mudshark wrote:
robertff wrote:
ChrisB wrote:
Mediocre indeed, although, on paper, pretty good line up. Media hype....my God ....fly them to N.Y., promote them as the greatest thing since .....Moby Grape ;) :)



In some ways they were like Rockpile, full of talent but couldn't produce a decent record if they tried. The only song of BS that I like is Country Girl. When I first heard that I was ready to go full tilt and buy their other albums but started with a comp. That was enough to put me off.


.


You guys couldn't be more wrong. It's still pure pop music for the now people. Birthplace of not only Rockpile, but also The Rumour.
I'm not sure when this compilation came out, but it must be late 70s or early 80s. At least 10 of those 15 Thoughts are Very listenable. Home In My Hand is fantastic. Pub Rock the wat it was meant to be and Ducks Deluxe wasn't good enough to produce.

I'm very disappointed in you old British geezers, of whom I suspected had a bit of a good taste in music.



Perhaps your last sentence should be reversed Erik?


;)


.

User avatar
ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 13043
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby ChrisB » 04 Jun 2024, 15:01

Who's he calling ****** old ????!!!
Talking of Ducks Deluxe, I saw them supporting .....Lou Reed :? :? :?

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12750
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 04 Jun 2024, 15:52

WP


Image


Erik was passionate in his defence of BS so thought I’d give this another listen.

Sorry Erik, just not hearing it, pretty dull, mediocre stuff to my ears.

This comp. is dated 1991.


.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12750
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 04 Jun 2024, 15:57

Image


Really like PS and think this is a great record, the cover is very striking too.

.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12750
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 04 Jun 2024, 17:10

Image


Great cover art.

.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12750
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 04 Jun 2024, 17:11

Image


Great cover art.

.

User avatar
ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 13043
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby ChrisB » 04 Jun 2024, 17:21

And the young lady re appeared on the cover of "It's a Beautiful Day". Same artist, of course. Unfortunately, case of tge cover art being far superior to the music on both

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12750
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 04 Jun 2024, 18:54

ChrisB wrote:And the young lady re appeared on the cover of "It's a Beautiful Day". Same artist, of course. Unfortunately, case of tge cover art being far superior to the music on both



You are probably right Chris but not in such a large dose as you suggest.


.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12750
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 04 Jun 2024, 18:57

Image


Hard rock power pop. Good album.


.

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 10105
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Lord Rother » 05 Jun 2024, 07:15

ChrisB wrote:And the young lady re appeared on the cover of "It's a Beautiful Day". Same artist, of course. Unfortunately, case of tge cover art being far superior to the music on both


I have a soft spot for both. Along with Argus, 2 of my very earliest excursions into the territory I now think of as home for my musical tastes. Nowadays I’d admit both patchy but with great moments.

It was the covers that were part of the appeal at the time for sure.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80763
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 05 Jun 2024, 10:15

ChrisB wrote:Image

Image


Two robust albums





NP

Image





.
NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 10105
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Lord Rother » 05 Jun 2024, 12:00

Another decent neo-prog band from the hot-bed of the South West of England...

Also Eden - Think of The Children!

Image

User avatar
NMB
Posts: 4788
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 20:46
Location: Darkest Surrey

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby NMB » 05 Jun 2024, 12:25

Khan - Space Shanty.

Steve Hillage’s debut and also featuring Dave Stewart. Apparently I bought this in 2014 but only got around to playing it this week! It’s pleasant but not great, a bit lacking in the songs department and the longer tracks feel rather stitched together. Hillage hasn’t quite found his style yet, he moved on from this to Gong which is where he blossomed. Best track is maybe Driving to Amsterdam.
turn on, tune in, nod off

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80763
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 05 Jun 2024, 13:29

NMB wrote:Khan - Space Shanty.

Steve Hillage’s debut and also featuring Dave Stewart. Apparently I bought this in 2014 but only got around to playing it this week! It’s pleasant but not great, a bit lacking in the songs department and the longer tracks feel rather stitched together. Hillage hasn’t quite found his style yet, he moved on from this to Gong which is where he blossomed. Best track is maybe Driving to Amsterdam.


Good call Gez but weren't Uriel Steve's first outing...?



.
NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

User avatar
NMB
Posts: 4788
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 20:46
Location: Darkest Surrey

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby NMB » 05 Jun 2024, 13:40

Aka Arzachel, I completely forget about them. So that’s another album I need to buy and set aside for ten years.
turn on, tune in, nod off

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80763
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 05 Jun 2024, 14:03

NMB wrote:Aka Arzachel, I completely forget about them. So that’s another album I need to buy and set aside for ten years.


It’s a seminally robust album Gez!

[you have to remove the cellophane…..]




.
NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.


Return to “Yakety Yak”