Journey sucks

Do talk back
User avatar
toomanypillowz
Posts: 4001
Joined: 20 May 2008, 00:53
Location: The Historic Wilshire Vista District in Los Angeles

Re: Journey sucks

Postby toomanypillowz » 12 Dec 2008, 22:20

bixhenry wrote: Not if my everpresent, considerable Jewish cheeks have any say over the matter :D !


:lol:
Lance Matthew wrote:Oh, I've always inspired extreme reactions. I can reduce normal people to screaming harpies in minutes.

toomanyhatz wrote: Fuck you with a Craftsman rotary drill.

User avatar
JQW
Posts: 29052
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 13:27
Location: The Crazy Loquat, Szegerely

Re: Journey sucks

Postby JQW » 12 Dec 2008, 22:31

toomanymistletoes wrote:
Rudolph Hucker wrote:Not only do they suck, but they also had a video arcade machine that also sucked:


That actually looks awesome! :lol:


You can't have played it, then. It was impossibly hard.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

User avatar
bobzilla77
Posts: 16284
Joined: 23 Jun 2006, 02:56
Location: Dilute! Dilute! OK!

Re: Journey sucks

Postby bobzilla77 » 12 Dec 2008, 23:19

I actually saw them live on a summer stadium bill in Oakland in the summer of 1978. At that time I thought they were... OK not great. They still had some of that Santana jazz-rockish thing going and I remember Aynsley Dunbar doing a great drum solo. It didn't do much for me but it had some good instrumental moments.

They were on the bill with AC/DC, Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Trick and Ted Nugent however and of course they got their asses roasted by the first two. We missed Cheap Trick and I was angry at Ted Nugent after his set. So they weren't even the worst thing I saw all day.

Today, given the choice between watching the Nuge or Journey do a 1978-era set, I could just flip a coin. I guess Nugent would at least do Cat Scratch Fever. But I remember actively disliking him, when I'd liked his radio hits well enough to that point. I think it bugged me that he was so arrogant when he had about one-tenth the quality of BOC, who gained a fan for life that afternoon. I actually wrote Ted Nugent an anti-fan letter that afternoon asking for our $16 back. I was kind of nervous when I got a return response in the mail but it turned out it was just a solicitation to pay to join his fan club.

If I had the chance to see the O'Cult or AC/DC so a 78 era set again, now that's a different story.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

sloopjohnc
Posts: 63925
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Journey sucks

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Dec 2008, 23:27

bobzilla77 wrote:I actually saw them live on a summer stadium bill in Oakland in the summer of 1978. At that time I thought they were... OK not great. They still had some of that Santana jazz-rockish thing going and I remember Aynsley Dunbar doing a great drum solo. It didn't do much for me but it had some good instrumental moments.

They were on the bill with AC/DC, Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Trick and Ted Nugent however and of course they got their asses roasted by the first two. We missed Cheap Trick and I was angry at Ted Nugent after his set. So they weren't even the worst thing I saw all day.

Today, given the choice between watching the Nuge or Journey do a 1978-era set, I could just flip a coin. I guess Nugent would at least do Cat Scratch Fever. But I remember actively disliking him, when I'd liked his radio hits well enough to that point. I think it bugged me that he was so arrogant when he had about one-tenth the quality of BOC, who gained a fan for life that afternoon. I actually wrote Ted Nugent an anti-fan letter that afternoon asking for our $16 back. I was kind of nervous when I got a return response in the mail but it turned out it was just a solicitation to pay to join his fan club.

If I had the chance to see the O'Cult or AC/DC so a 78 era set again, now that's a different story.


I saw the same show, and a couple others with Nugent. Your dislike was mine also.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 24007
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Journey sucks

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Dec 2008, 23:28

I saw them open up for ELO in 1978. The only thing I remember is they were LOUD.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Image

User avatar
Swiftie
Robust
Posts: 79606
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Journey sucks

Postby Swiftie » 26 Mar 2024, 17:24

Were they really that bad?

I like their debut

Reappraisal?



.
mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

User avatar
ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 12786
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: Journey sucks

Postby ChrisB » 26 Mar 2024, 18:44

Certainly better than REO Speedwagon

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12295
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Journey sucks

Postby robertff » 26 Mar 2024, 19:13

Pretty anodyne I would say, okay if you like that sort of thing I guess. In that case I would have to say I am ambivalent towards them.


.

User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 11458
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: Journey sucks

Postby Neil Jung » 26 Mar 2024, 19:49

C wrote:Were they really that bad?

I like their debut

Reappraisal?



.


Yep that debut is epic!

I saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon after Perry had joined. I was disappointed that they played nothing off the first three albums. Other than that I don’t remember a thing about it.
“Erratic associate member”

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 44893
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Journey sucks

Postby Charlie O. » 26 Mar 2024, 21:12

ChrisB wrote:Certainly better than REO Speedwagon

Ain't THAT the truth.
Image

User avatar
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Posts: 18133
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 11:11
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: Journey sucks

Postby Neige » 27 Mar 2024, 06:50

Charlie O. wrote:
ChrisB wrote:Certainly better than REO Speedwagon

Ain't THAT the truth.


We can all agree on this, I suppose.


But the thread made me real nostalgic for back when the board was a multi-voiced flurry of activity... even JQW chimed in. :(
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 48282
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Journey sucks

Postby The Slider » 27 Mar 2024, 18:50

I am the same as Quaco.
I like 6 or so songs quite a lot.
I have never owned a record by them. Never felt the urge.
But I like those six songs very much.

Now, Styx on the other hand...
There's a band
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 19988
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Ohio

Re: Journey sucks

Postby pcqgod » 28 Mar 2024, 05:04

i thought that first album was just something any competent jazz-influenced musicians could have come up with after a few hours in the studio. Never heard the other pre-Perry albums. I've never cared for "Don't stop believing' or "Open arms" but I'll go along with the five or six great songs assessment. Maybe even seven.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 30394
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Journey sucks

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Mar 2024, 05:37

They mostly suck. I don't think I could even pick six songs. "Sopranos" did them a lot of good, though, gave them invaluable exposure.

Doubly disappointing because Neal Schon was in the band, you'd expect more from a Santana alumnus.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck


Return to “Yakety Yak”