The Band w/Dylan and solo projects questions

Do talk back
Kenji
Otaku

Re: The Band w/Dylan and solo projects questions

Postby Kenji » 07 Dec 2008, 02:52

Charlie O well, Noël wrote:
Six String wrote:I almost bought a copy of the Rick Danko solo album today. It was only $5.00 but I had found found too many other records I'd rather have and based on the tepid response here decided it could wait. There was a copy of Cahoots for $4.00 but I think I'd rather have the cd since it has several good songs that aren't on the lp.

Good call.

I agree.
I listened to Rick Danko's album a few days ago because of this thread and...
it's not good... :?
There's a song called "Small Town Talk" on the album - it's also on "Bobby Charles"
by Bobby Charles. It made me remember the album:

The album has lots of guest musicians including Rick Danko (also co-producer),
Levon Helm, Garth Hudson and Richard Manuel so I think it's like The Band's solo projects! :)

I thought the album was only so so when I first heard it but I became to like it a lot...

chunky

Postby chunky » 07 Dec 2008, 05:14

charliebigpotatoes wrote:
Six String wrote:I probably won't be buying Cahoots or Island.

Then you will miss out on a few great tracks: 4% Pantomime, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Life Is A Carnival, Georgia On My Mind, Let The Night Fall. They arent the best albums but i would be getting them ahead of Before The Flood. Having said that the version of Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever on that album is amazing. And its probably got my fave version of I Shall Be Released on it. So, erm...thats my slightly contradictory advice!

Seconded. Plus Islands is well worth having. Even has a great christmas song on it. The Rick stuff is necessary for fanatics like me, but disapointing really. Don't hesitate to get Stagefright. Unmissable.
I'm a country member.

&

Postby & » 07 Dec 2008, 09:10

Jingle Balboas wrote:
Charlie O well, Noël wrote:
Jingle Balboas wrote:I like the Manuel album a whole lot more than a few of you. He sings the ass out of everything.

Manuel, or Danko? I don't think anyone's dissing the Manuel album.

Manuel - I know no-one dissed it, but there was a pretty lukewarm response I think. For any fan of Manuel, I think it is essential.

I love it more than most records I own. He seems happy, and that's enough to make the performance worthwhile for me. It's a genuinely warm hearted record, and a touching one given how tragic Manuel's own emotional condition was at the time. The lack of ornamentation only makes this stand out better.

I started a thread on it once.

I don't recall Robbie Robertson's solo albums too well, but I seem to remember that they're mostly interesting, more Peter Gabriel than The Band and perhaps slightly damaged by overproduction. I think Music for Native Americans was the most satisfying, but I should pay them another visit.

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Dec 2008, 20:36

I used to own the Robertson album that you speak of with the Gabrielesque production. It's the one with Hell's Half Acre and has Bono on a couple of tunes as well. I won't be repurchasing that one.

So now I have all The Band albums except for Island and the one or two that followed Robbie's departure. Are the post Robbie albums worth owning?

I'll see about acquiring the Richard Manuel album and yesterday a friend loaned me his 5 disc Genuine Basement Tapes and Before the Flood so I'll be busy for a while. I'm thinking I might want to make a single or double disc Genuine Basement Tapes sampler for the road but I'll have to wait until I've heard it to make that decision.

Thanks to all for your help.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 07 Dec 2008, 20:44

Six String wrote:I used to own the Robertson album that you speak of with the Gabrielesque production. It's the one with Hell's Half Acre and has Bono on a couple of tunes as well. I won't be repurchasing that one.

So now I have all The Band albums except for Island and the one or two that followed Robbie's departure. Are the post Robbie albums worth owning?

I'll see about acquiring the Richard Manuel album and yesterday a friend loaned me his 5 disc Genuine Basement Tapes and Before the Flood so I'll be busy for a while. I'm thinking I might want to make a single or double disc Genuine Basement Tapes sampler for the road but I'll have to wait until I've heard it to make that decision.

Thanks to all for your help.

There are a couple of good tracks over the three 90s Band albums, but they probably aren't worth acquiring if you don't already have them. Or do the usual thing, you know.

As for Robbie, I think Music for the Native Americans, which I believe was for a TV series, is his best, although Contact from the Underworld Of Redboy has some of the same vibe and is more charming than his first two.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 07 Dec 2008, 21:43

comrade moleskin wrote:
Six String wrote:Are the post Robbie albums worth owning?
There are a couple of good tracks over the three 90s Band albums, but they probably aren't worth acquiring if you don't already have them.

The first of them - Jericho - has three pretty decent tracks. To be honest it gets played more than Cahoots and Islands put together. The three tracks worth getting are the title track, the cover of Springsteen's Atlantic City and a belting version of Blind Willie McTell, that Levon sings the hell pout of.

charliebigpotatoes

Postby charliebigpotatoes » 08 Dec 2008, 08:35

brotherlouie wrote:
comrade moleskin wrote:
Six String wrote:Are the post Robbie albums worth owning?
There are a couple of good tracks over the three 90s Band albums, but they probably aren't worth acquiring if you don't already have them.

The first of them - Jericho - has three pretty decent tracks. To be honest it gets played more than Cahoots and Islands put together. The three tracks worth getting are the title track, the cover of Springsteen's Atlantic City and a belting version of Blind Willie McTell, that Levon sings the hell pout of.

And the Richard Manuel ballad Country Boy is as lovely a piece of Ray Charlesiness as you may expect.
I dont know which album its on but didnt they cover En Vogue on a recent one as well? Was it Free Your Mind?
Third,
Third and bird,
Just across the street, where the birdies meet,
Going 'deet, deet, deet'
Third, third, third, third and bird.

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 08 Dec 2008, 08:46

charliebigpotatoes wrote:I dont know which album its on but didnt they cover En Vogue on a recent one as well? Was it Free Your Mind?

Yeah. It's on High On The Hog. Patchy.

charliebigpotatoes

Postby charliebigpotatoes » 08 Dec 2008, 09:01

brotherlouie wrote:
charliebigpotatoes wrote:I dont know which album its on but didnt they cover En Vogue on a recent one as well? Was it Free Your Mind?

Yeah. It's on High On The Hog. Patchy.

I believe you!
Strange cover though. Why En Vogue? Why not TLC's Waterfalls? Montell Jordan? Its every bit as random a 90s cover isnt it?
Third,
Third and bird,
Just across the street, where the birdies meet,
Going 'deet, deet, deet'
Third, third, third, third and bird.

Return to “Yakety Yak”