Dylan
59%

Total votes: 130

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Bowie vs. Dylan

Postby toomanyhatz » 30 Oct 2010, 23:37

As Penk said at one point, there are a lot of great soundbites.

As I've said before (and as recent posts have proven) there's also a lot of bending of the truth in an effort to miscategorize other's arguments. Hilarious, really.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 30 Oct 2010, 23:40

toomanyhatz wrote:As Penk said at one point, there are a lot of great soundbites.

As I've said before (and as recent posts have proven) there's also a lot of bending of the truth in an effort to miscategorize other's arguments. Hilarious, really.

Just start at the beginning and read it through. I'm glad someone brought it back... :)
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 31 Oct 2010, 00:28

The funny stuff's great, but I really liked Quaco's post where he talks about the differences between the two artists.

It bugs me when people say these sorts of polls are unimaginative, tired, boring, etc. It's often where our best writing can be found. When you feel like you have to explain why you like something....

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 31 Jul 2012, 14:45

Jimmy Jazz wrote:Completely forgot about this thread. Funny yes.
Is Wilsson still the same ass as he was back then ? :lol:

No.

He's much worse.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 31 Jul 2012, 16:40

You guys still smarting because your hero lost in a poll?

:lol:

It's delicious!

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 31 Jul 2012, 16:42

CRUSTO wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:Completely forgot about this thread. Funny yes.
Is Wilsson still the same ass as he was back then ? :lol:

No.

He's much worse.

What makes you say that...

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 31 Jul 2012, 16:51

Two years ago, I'd have gone with Bowie, but after a mega Dylan binge (and, finally, a realization of how good he is), I voted for Dylan. :)
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 31 Jul 2012, 17:26

Dylan had the songs, Bowie had the sound. Dylan, please!
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 01 Aug 2012, 06:13

I don't even want to talk about Bowie. This place may eventually cause me to hate him if I don't remember to tune his fans out and let his music speak for itself.

I did find much of what was said about Dylan here depressingly facile. Only leg of lamb seemed to by talking about the artist I experience.

The following quote excerpt is from a Peter Case interview. As he often does, I think Case absolutely nails what I feel about Dylan, and does so in a way that might be grounded enough to speak to some of the folks here who seem to be missing out:

http://blurt-online.com/blogs/view/6295/

Peter Case -
So I picked up the new Dylan LP at Tower on Sunset, and took it straight back home, threw it on, and was completely transfixed by "Jokerman."

The first thing that got me about it was the Sly and Robbie groove, unlike anything I'd heard before; it's not rock or reggae either, but something new, very open. As usual with a Dylan record you hear every word. He delivers that very clearly.

On first listen the song hits you with a strong sense of life, of what it's like to be alive in the world at that moment, a sense of now. The complexity, color, seductive sensual lure, sense of danger, of freedom, of possibility that one feels in the world - call it the modern world - is all communicated so vividly, that the flash of recognition I felt upon hearing it, even though I had no reasonable idea what he was on about, gave me a rush of companionship. That's the first thing about the art of his songwriting, he wins you with the representation of what it's really like to be alive. And you feel that before you understand it.

I think "Like A Rolling Stone" did that for its time. And the song "Dignity" hit me with that kind of force, when I first heard it on the radio, and had to pull the car over. It's a hugely exciting thing. I'm not sure to this day that I could say I understand the song really. But I find it really moving.
Last edited by Davey the Fat Boy on 01 Aug 2012, 06:28, edited 1 time in total.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 01 Aug 2012, 06:18

Davey Avon PattyMelt wrote:On first listen the song hits you with a strong sense of life, of what it's like to be alive in the world at that moment, a sense of now. The complexity, color, seductive sensual lure, sense of danger, of freedom, of possibility that one feels in the world - call it the modern world - is all communicated so vividly, that the flash of recognition I felt upon hearing it, even though I had no reasonable idea what he was on about, gave me a rush of companionship.

'grounded', you say?

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 01 Aug 2012, 06:31

**YeAh WASpDoG!** wrote:
Davey Avon PattyMelt wrote:On first listen the song hits you with a strong sense of life, of what it's like to be alive in the world at that moment, a sense of now. The complexity, color, seductive sensual lure, sense of danger, of freedom, of possibility that one feels in the world - call it the modern world - is all communicated so vividly, that the flash of recognition I felt upon hearing it, even though I had no reasonable idea what he was on about, gave me a rush of companionship.

'grounded', you say?

I think so.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 01 Aug 2012, 06:34

toomanyhatz wrote:
The Modernist! wrote:Heathen has more breadth of vision, a greater urgency and more intriguing playfulness than any Dylan record of the last twenty years. He's actually pushing himself to write powerful statements and surprise himself which is a bit more commendable than playing the role of the elder statesmen churning out mediocre roots music.

Please. I've heard Heathen . About as powerful as a paper cut.

It's really very boring. I don't get G's defence of it at all.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 13 Apr 2014, 19:07

It's never too late, folks.

No NEVAH

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 13 Apr 2014, 19:28

Hey man, I voted for Bowie!
:)
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 28 Nov 2014, 22:00

Still some work to do....
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Nov 2014, 23:45

Viscount Jizzmark wrote:Hey man, I voted for Bowie!
:)

Me too!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Nov 2014, 01:27

What the fucking fuck happened here?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 29 Nov 2014, 01:39

Bungo the Mungo wrote:After scanning this thread it would appear that Dylan's standing among communities like ours is growing, whereas Bowie's light is dimming somewhat.

This is partly down to the fact that Dylan is more 'respectable' in the eyes of many (less flitting around from genre to genre, less posing and dressing up), and also 'cos much of his reputation lies in his ability to pen an attractive and emotive lyric - these words date less quickly than music, so ensuring a continuing adulation and word-spreading by academics who say there's something there you won't get from anyone else operating within the same field.

Serious consideration of our favourite artform has been hijacked to some extent by the literary sorts - they have something weightier to hang their claims onto, something meatier to discuss, and the idea of rock as an ephemeral thing, something to dance to, isn't even entertained. If we were able to look at the bare musical talents of both of these men, the results of this poll would be much closer.

Who said this? It's excellent stuff
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Nov 2014, 01:48

Yes, it's very well-written BULLSHIT! :lol:
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 29 Nov 2014, 01:55

You'd agree that Dylan is highly regarded as a lyricist? and Bowie, not so much?

Return to “Yakety Yak”