Terry Riley

Do talk back
C
Robust

Terry Riley

Postby C » 10 Jun 2024, 11:16

Not talked about at all around this parts

Terry is best known as a pioneer of the minimalist school of composition. Influenced by jazz and Indian classical music, his work became notable for its innovative use of repetition, tape music techniques, improvisation, and delay systems.

His best known works are the 1964 composition In C and the 1969 album A Rainbow in Curved Air, both considered landmarks of minimalism and important influences on experimental music, rock, and contemporary electronic music

The lad was a big influence on many - Curved Air took their name from the robust album and Soft Machine's Third was heavily influenced on Out-Bloody-Rageous long intro and outro.

The proto-punk fans (is that the term?) may be familiar with the excellent album album; Church of Anthrax (1971) which he made with VU's John Cale.

The Softs connection:

Glorious music

I always remember taking this album into school at the age of 16 and impressing my friends!

Any other fans...?

NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

Charlie O.

Re: Terry Riley

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Jun 2024, 14:48

He does come up here from time to time, although I don't recall a thread dedicated to him.

And as I have mentioned here from time to time, I collect recordings of "In C" - I think it's an extraordinary, and extraordinarily flexible, composition. Most of the versions I've accumulated (though certainly not all!) are at least enjoyable, and quite a few are downright transcendent. Funnily enough, though, the original "classic" 1968 recording is not a favorite; it's fine, and if it were the only version I knew I'm sure I'd rate it much more highly, but compared to a lot of others it's only so-so. That makes it better than some of the other recordings Riley was directly involved in - the "25th Anniversary" live performance is pretty dreadful, and the one by the Shanghai Film Orchestra is a disaster (as Riley more or less admits in the liner notes - which, of course, you don't get to read until you've bought the CD). On the other hand, the one credited to Terry Riley Repetitition [sic] Orchestra, recorded in Moscow in 2000 with Russian players and singers (a few of whom sound like they were recruited from the bar down the street), is one of my very favorites.

Otherwise? I basically like Riley, but tend to find that a little goes a long way. I very much enjoy Music From The Gift (pre-"In C" tape manipulations), and I dig hearing A Rainbow In Curved Air now and again. The only track on Church Of Anthrax that I particularly like is the one Riley isn't on!

As for his influence on rock, C, you forgot the most famous example - "Baba O'Riley"!

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Jun 2024, 15:22

Charlie O. wrote:As for his influence on rock, C, you forgot the most famous example - "Baba O'Riley"!

I was leaving that for others Chas....! :D

Composed in 1964 - years before its time

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 10 Jun 2024, 18:56

I have both "In C" (two different versions: the '68 original and one by the Oxford Minimalist Ensemble) and "Rainbow". I prefer the latter to the former by quite a wide margin. It has medicinal powers for me. I play it often. Bought that Riley/Cale collaboration only just a couple of months ago. I was disappointed, as I am with most music Cale is involved in. Some tunes on the album start out well enough with some nice minimalistic noodling by Riley, but it doesn't take long for Cale to fuck it all up. Pretty sure my copy has had its last spin, at least on my turntable.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Jun 2024, 20:53

John Cale made a collaborative album with the great Brian Eno

It’s mediocre - Brian could have done better without the lad

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 10 Jun 2024, 22:40

I went with a friend of see Riley at the Royal Festival Hall (or was it the QEH? Can't remember). It must have been circa 2002. We had no idea what he would play but couldn't miss the opportunity of seeing this living legend. We assumed it wouldn't be anything like 'In C' or 'Rainbow ...' and we were right. If I remember correctly he played, and sang, a series of bluesy pieces. His son was in the band.
A rather enjoyable evening.
Last edited by Nervous Ned on 12 Jun 2024, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 11 Jun 2024, 21:11

Love this video:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 12 Jun 2024, 10:18

mudshark wrote: I was disappointed, as I am with most music Cale is involved in. Some tunes on the album start out well enough with some nice minimalistic noodling by Riley, but it doesn't take long for Cale to fuck it all up.

C wrote:John Cale made a collaborative album with the great Brian Eno
It’s mediocre - Brian could have done better without the lad.

What a pair of cloth eared fools!

Riley strikes me as an excellent example of the Emperor's new clothes.
Yeah. Brian Eno is good. In fact, he's often very, very good. But John Cale is a genius who towers over most of rock music.
Bugger off.

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Jun 2024, 10:43

Rorschach wrote:John Cale is a genius who towers over most of rock music.

:lol:

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 12 Jun 2024, 13:19

Finally something to ruffle Tym's retired feathers.
Cale would have still be playing fiddle in Llanfairpwllgwyngyll if it weren't for Lou & Andy, but VU would have been a better band without him, me thinks. Best album in latter years? Songs for Drella. Again thanks to Lou.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Jun 2024, 13:48

Brian Eno is just a chancer given extra leeway because he's posh and bald and therefore an intellectual. Discuss.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 12 Jun 2024, 16:05

He's posh and bald for sure, nothing wrong with that. Not sure about him being intellectual. Made some decent music earlier on. I have a couple of is latter day albums. Listened to small parts of them because I invariably fall asleep after 10 minutes into Side A. Any Side A.

Terry Riley on the other hand, is a clever cookie.

Return to “Yakety Yak”