Yes: at their best?

Do talk back
User avatar
frimley_greener
Posts: 1607
Joined: 10 Apr 2010, 10:00
Location: frimley green..and it ain't easy being green...

Yes: at their best?

Postby frimley_greener » 31 May 2024, 16:51

This is how I remember them in the flesh, just prior to their debut album..."Looking around me"...

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/pf5zSMLqzzvMEFYb/
You wanna be a big cop in a small town? Fuck off up the model village.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 45075
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby Charlie O. » 31 May 2024, 17:12

At their best? Hardly. But pretty good, pretty good...
Image

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80666
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby C » 31 May 2024, 18:17

Thanks for posting. I agree with Chas

For me, They only got going at their third album.

Enjoyable video though - lovely bass!



.
mudshark wrote:We don't give a shit about Blighty.
Y'all can use Yeovil for all I care

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12707
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby robertff » 31 May 2024, 19:29

frimley_greener wrote:This is how I remember them in the flesh, just prior to their debut album..."Looking around me"...

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/pf5zSMLqzzvMEFYb/



First time I saw them live was just before they released their first album, I thought they were incredible then and went and bought their first album as soon as it was released. I had never heard of them and my girlfriend at the time said that she’d heard that they were a good band so we took a chance, saw them at Croydon Tech.

I was struck immediately by their musicianship and professionalism. The song that always stuck in my mind that evening was their version of The Beatles’ Every Little Thing, only because I had never heard any of the other songs before and their version was superb.

.

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 48334
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby The Slider » 01 Jun 2024, 10:40

I got hooked into Yes via the usual massive prog bastard records.
They however, more than any of their contemporaries, had 'it' from day one.
I didn't play the first two as much as the rest of their 70s output until quite recently, but I do nowadays.
I think they make massive strides on the first five records, though the third remains my favourite - before Wakeman both makes and mars on Fragile/Close to the Edge.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47401
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby Quaco » 06 Jun 2024, 17:16

The Slider wrote:I got hooked into Yes via the usual massive prog bastard records.
They however, more than any of their contemporaries, had 'it' from day one.
I didn't play the first two as much as the rest of their 70s output until quite recently, but I do nowadays.
I think they make massive strides on the first five records, though the third remains my favourite - before Wakeman both makes and mars on Fragile/Close to the Edge.

I am a huge fan of what they did on their "prog bastard" records, but as a group, as a sound, I agree. Kaye just fits in and makes the whole thing rock in the right way. I can see why they wanted bigger and better with Wakeman, and I'm sure he made the process easier by being able to try out a million ideas at the drop of a hat, but he never fit in, and as often as not, I don't care for his ideas. A few things stand out to me as genius like the harpsichord solo in "Siberian Khatru", the pipe organ in "Close to the Edge", the piano on "Awaken" -- notice none of these are synthesizers. He has questionable taste in synth sounds. Whereas I have no problem with Moraz and his minimoog solo on "Sound Chaser". Go figure. Everything Kaye does is locked right in and part of the music.

And Banks is kinda my perfect guitarist, like Steve Howe mixed with Pete Townshend. In a way it's a shame they couldn't have continued in that more Who-like direction. But then we wouldn't have had "Sound Chaser" and those kinds of things. The first couple albums are more marred by comparatively less interesting material, but their sound and approach and live work was great from the start. Sadly, I don't think Flash is much good.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 32639
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Jun 2024, 18:32

Have you guys heard the Two Sides of Peter Banks (also called just Peter Banks) LP? He made it with Jan Akkerman. Anyway, I like it. I also like that first Flash album.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47401
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby Quaco » 06 Jun 2024, 20:02

Matt Wilson wrote:Have you guys heard the Two Sides of Peter Banks (also called just Peter Banks) LP? He made it with Jan Akkerman. Anyway, I like it. I also like that first Flash album.

Yes, some cool guests on that one as well (Wetton, Collins)!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 48334
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby The Slider » 06 Jun 2024, 23:33

I much prefer - as a whole - Tony Kaye's work to Wakeman's.
I've been decrying his synth voices for years.
If he stuck to piano and organ he'd be fine, but the whole point of them getting him in was for his electronic keys. Kaye was uninterested in playing them, I believe. And the rest of the band wanted synths.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

User avatar
ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 13023
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby ChrisB » 07 Jun 2024, 00:08

Synths were the new kids on the block, so pretty obvious Yes and their ilk were going to use them. However, not sure that Rick over used them, certainly not in the same way the mellotron was "in your face" on a lot of Moodies tracks. I also think Rick could replicate anything Tony played but don't think Tony had the ability to reciprocate

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 48334
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby The Slider » 07 Jun 2024, 11:35

Not the point Jim and I are making
It is the horrible lack of taste that Wakeman shows in the voicing he uses for his synths - as a rule. Sometimes, as in And You And I, where he uses that reasonable portmanteau moog warble, it is ok. But mostly, not.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 10090
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby Lord Rother » 07 Jun 2024, 12:44

I might be getting this wrong as I'm no student of who is on what Yes album, so had to look it up to be sure.

Aren't these the Tony Kaye albums?

Yes (1969)
Time and a Word (1970)
The Yes Album (1971)
90125 (1983)
Big Generator (1987)
Union (1991)
Talk (1994)

And these the Rick Wakeman albums?

Fragile (1971)
Close to the Edge (1972)
Tales from Topographic Oceans (1973)
Going for the One (1977)
Tormato (1978)
Union (1991)
Keys to Ascension (1996)
Keys to Ascension 2 (1997)

Seriously, Wakeman dicks all over Kaye. Or at least, the albums he's on certainly do.

User avatar
ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 13023
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby ChrisB » 07 Jun 2024, 12:59

The Slider wrote:Not the point Jim and I are making
It is the horrible lack of taste that Wakeman shows in the voicing he uses for his synths - as a rule. Sometimes, as in And You And I, where he uses that reasonable portmanteau moog warble, it is ok. But mostly, not.


Sorry, I missed the point, it's the "sound" he chose. If that's the case, Moraz should be shot :D ( to my cloth ears, anyway)
Last edited by ChrisB on 07 Jun 2024, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12707
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby robertff » 07 Jun 2024, 15:27

ChrisB wrote:
The Slider wrote:Not the point Jim and I are making
It is the horrible lack of taste that Wakeman shows in the voicing he uses for his synths - as a rule. Sometimes, as in And You And I, where he uses that reasonable portmanteau moog warble, it is ok. But mostly, not.


Sorry, I missed the point, it's the "sound" he choses. If that's the case, Moraz should be shot :D ( to my cloth ears, anyway)



Hideous sound on Relayer.


.

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 4402
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby Mike Boom » 07 Jun 2024, 17:00

I think the keyboard sounds Wakeman chooses is one of the major high points on Close to the Edge and in fact most things he did in the 70's.

mudshark wrote:
"This is quite pointless, but since we're all retirees with fuck all to do, why the fuck not."

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 4402
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby Mike Boom » 07 Jun 2024, 17:08

The bit on I Get Up I Get Down at 10:55 when the Cathedral Organ comes in is Godhead !
mudshark wrote:
"This is quite pointless, but since we're all retirees with fuck all to do, why the fuck not."

User avatar
ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 13023
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby ChrisB » 07 Jun 2024, 17:32

Absolute genius. I don't know the technical term, but it sounds like cluster chords that produce a blanket of sound. I know what I'm trying to say, but it doesn't make much sense in print :?

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 48334
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby The Slider » 08 Jun 2024, 12:59

Lord Rother wrote: Wakeman dicks all over Kaye. Or at least, the albums he's on certainly do.


Yes, again, this is not what Jim or I are saying.
Yes, by and large those album are better* - The Yes Album aside, as it is better than almost all the Wakeman ones - but they do not have RW's horrible synth noodling on them.

ChrisB wrote: it's the "sound" he chose. If that's the case, Moraz should be shot :D ( to my cloth ears, anyway)


I don't think he's worse than Wakeman but Relayer is certainly unlovely in places due to the synth voicings.

Mike Boom wrote:I think the keyboard sounds Wakeman chooses is one of the major high points on Close to the Edge and in fact most things he did in the 70's.



I like him when he plays the Piano or Hammond
Otherwise he should not be allowed.

Mike Boom wrote:The bit on I Get Up I Get Down at 10:55 when the Cathedral Organ comes in is Godhead !


Organ. Not synth



* in the 70s. No one is taking any notice of Yes after that really are they?
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Hugh
Posts: 16223
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby Hugh » 08 Jun 2024, 17:02

My friend bought Rhapsodies when it came out. I’m glad he did otherwise I might have done.

User avatar
ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 13023
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: Yes: at their best?

Postby ChrisB » 08 Jun 2024, 17:14

Hugh wrote:My friend bought Rhapsodies when it came out. I’m glad he did otherwise I might have done.


My friend bought "Beginnings" by Steve Howe when it came out. I'm glad he did otherwise I might have done :D
That's what friends are for


Return to “Yakety Yak”