They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Do talk back
User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47401
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby Quaco » 31 May 2024, 00:15

Artists where the first album is great, while all the others are best forgotten.

The Knack
U2
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 45076
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby Charlie O. » 31 May 2024, 00:52

The second U2 album is a grower.

I'll nominate:

Elastica
The Stone Roses
Image

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 16121
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby LMG » 31 May 2024, 08:41

CSN
CSNY

For further details on these two bands, please consult C of this parish.
"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

- Andrew Mueller It's Too Late To Die Young Now

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 4190
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby Rorschach » 31 May 2024, 09:35

Pink Floyd
Bugger off.

User avatar
ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 13023
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby ChrisB » 31 May 2024, 09:50

Television. You can't beat perfection.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80666
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby C » 31 May 2024, 11:13

Sorry for being thick but I presume you are talking ‘debut’ album here..?

If not, I’d nominate U2 too but I would go for War

You see some might nominate Wishbone Ash’s Argus….

As you were




.
mudshark wrote:We don't give a shit about Blighty.
Y'all can use Yeovil for all I care

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12707
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby robertff » 31 May 2024, 11:36

Perhaps it would be an idea if our colleagues posted the ‘only one studio album’ they think the artist/band should have made alongside the name rather than just naming the artist/band, or is this as C. suggested just relating to debut albums? For instance U2 and Pink Floyd, which are both named - which album, the debut or other, or one was enough because the posters don’t like the artists/band?

Perhaps I’m just over thinking this.

And why U2 and Floyd, both have made far more than one excellent studio album, or is it that the posters just don’t like them much?

.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 4190
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby Rorschach » 31 May 2024, 11:49

robertff wrote:Perhaps it would be an idea if our colleagues posted the ‘only one studio album’ they think the artist/band should have made alongside the name rather than just naming the artist/band, or is this as C. suggested just relating to debut albums? For instance U2 and Pink Floyd, which are both named - which album, the debut or other, or one was enough because the posters don’t like the artists/band?

Perhaps I’m just over thinking this.

And why U2 and Floyd, both have made far more than one excellent studio album, or is it that the posters just don’t like them much?

.


In Quaco's post he does specify '1st album' so I think that's the default position to take.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek about Pink Floyd but I do love Piper and don't care much for the rest of their stuff.
In fact, while Saucerful can be seen as a transitional album, I don't think Syd's Floyd is the same band as the one that came after.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Posts: 18211
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 11:11
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby Neige » 31 May 2024, 11:54

C wrote:Sorry for being thick but I presume you are talking ‘debut’ album here..?

If not, I’d nominate U2 too but I would go for War

You see some might nominate Wishbone Ash’s Argus….

As you were




.


There never was a doubt for me that "only one" meant the first (also as a reaction to your thread).
And it's not like Quaco's opening post qualifies for a TL;DR reaction. ;)
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12707
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby robertff » 31 May 2024, 12:04

Rorschach wrote:
robertff wrote:Perhaps it would be an idea if our colleagues posted the ‘only one studio album’ they think the artist/band should have made alongside the name rather than just naming the artist/band, or is this as C. suggested just relating to debut albums? For instance U2 and Pink Floyd, which are both named - which album, the debut or other, or one was enough because the posters don’t like the artists/band?

Perhaps I’m just over thinking this.

And why U2 and Floyd, both have made far more than one excellent studio album, or is it that the posters just don’t like them much?

.


In Quaco's post he does specify '1st album' so I think that's the default position to take.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek about Pink Floyd but I do love Piper and don't care much for the rest of their stuff.
In fact, while Saucerful can be seen as a transitional album, I don't think Syd's Floyd is the same band as the one that came after.




Just thought that the wholesale wiping out of major artists’ entire catalogues added some confusion into the thread - well it did for me anyway.

As C. Is fond of saying ‘as you were’.


.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 33553
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby Minnie the Minx » 31 May 2024, 12:11

Quaco wrote:Artists where the first album is great, while all the others are best forgotten.


U2


Ooof! Very harsh on the Unforgettable Fire there. One of my favourite albums by anyone.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12707
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby robertff » 31 May 2024, 14:43

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Quaco wrote:Artists where the first album is great, while all the others are best forgotten.


U2


Ooof! Very harsh on the Unforgettable Fire there.


And some of their other albums.


.

User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 2440
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby mudshark » 31 May 2024, 15:35

It's about the FIRST album. It's very clearly stated. I nominate:

Gomez - Bring it on.

I WAS going to mention XTC (White Music), but then I remembered that I quite like half of English Settlement. I have quite a few of their other albums (because they were highly recommended), but I never could get into any of those. "Highly Acclaimed" albums, such as Skylarking, Oranges & Lemons, the one with Venus in the title. All rubbish, in my opinion.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12707
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby robertff » 31 May 2024, 15:58

mudshark wrote:It's about the FIRST album. It's very clearly stated.



‘………. while the others are best forgotten’, is the full statement at the beginning of the thread which is what I’m querying.

Is it not reasonable to query or question that comment when an entire artists’ catalogue has been dismissed?

Clearly I’m in the minority here but such is life.


.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 45076
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby Charlie O. » 31 May 2024, 16:46

It's all just our silly personal opinions, folks. Argue for fun or express your passion all you like, but accept that if someone else has come to the conclusion after many years that so-and-so have only made one good album, your opinion isn't any more likely to sway them than theirs is to sway you.
Image

User avatar
ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 13023
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby ChrisB » 31 May 2024, 17:00

Waiting for the thread "They should have made NO albums". I've got a list as long as my arm .....there could be carnage!

User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 2440
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby mudshark » 31 May 2024, 17:08

Where's Quaco when you need him?
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80666
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby C » 31 May 2024, 18:20

ChrisB wrote:Waiting for the thread "They should have made NO albums". I've got a list as long as my arm .....there could be carnage!


Bring it on lad

Yes, bring it on




:lol:
mudshark wrote:We don't give a shit about Blighty.
Y'all can use Yeovil for all I care

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12707
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby robertff » 31 May 2024, 19:07

C wrote:
ChrisB wrote:Waiting for the thread "They should have made NO albums". I've got a list as long as my arm .....there could be carnage!


Bring it on lad

Yes, bring it on

:lol:


:D

That’ll be fun, just list every act you dislike. ‘As long as your arm Chris‘, crikey you’re incredibly tolerant.


.

User avatar
ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 13023
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: They SHOULD HAVE made only one studio album

Postby ChrisB » 31 May 2024, 19:14

robertff wrote:
C wrote:
ChrisB wrote:Waiting for the thread "They should have made NO albums". I've got a list as long as my arm .....there could be carnage!


Bring it on lad

Yes, bring it on

:lol:


:D

That’ll be fun, just list every act you dislike. ‘As long as your arm Chris‘, crikey you’re incredibly tolerant.


.


Image


Return to “Yakety Yak”