Spill the Wine

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Spill the Wine

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 May 2024, 01:43

Having nothing else to do, Eric Burdon blabbers on about the British Invasion for the umpteenth time:

One more time for a great survivor, the legendary Geordie Eric Burdon, who has just turned 83. Speaking to Jim Clash in a Forbes interview, the former Animal expounds on the so-called British Invasion:

"We always laughed at the notion of a British Invasion, simply because it was just a catchphrase that Walter Cronkite, America's number-one anchorman at CBS, coined to put us all in one basket. So the British Invasion had little to do with the music. There was no plot to storm America. That said, it was good for Americans to hear the music they'd invented, but now returned to them with a new passion."

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

mudshark

Re: Spill the Wine

Postby mudshark » 24 May 2024, 03:18

Clickbaite.
I like Spill the wine. Talk about that
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 May 2024, 04:44

Or even "clickbait".
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 May 2024, 15:52

"Spill the Wine" was his last well-known song, no? He sang tons of great Animals and Eric Burdon & The Animals numbers, but once he hooked up with War on that first LP, he never again had a hit that I know of.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 24 May 2024, 16:15

The man is a total egotistical arse

robertff

Postby robertff » 24 May 2024, 16:42

ChrisB wrote:The man is a total egotistical arse

You may well be right Chris but I like quite a lot of his music especially with the Animals and New Animals.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 24 May 2024, 16:56

His new career as an arse started when people started asking Eric who? Same as Donovan. Talk about ego wars if these two wherever in the same room at the same time

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 24 May 2024, 18:40

True story: I saw EB in concert about 7 years ago in The Woodland TX. It was a pretty good show. Wife and I had a good enough time.
Wife wanted to buy an LP he was promoting. So I went and get it. He wanted to sign and I said, off the cuff, "No need". He was dumbfounded. He reminded me of Ian Dury for some reason. The Black-Man's Burdon is a really good album, in my opinion. What is it y'all don't like about it??

robertff

Postby robertff » 24 May 2024, 19:08

mudshark wrote:True story: I saw EB in concert about 7 years ago in The Woodland TX. It was a pretty good show. Wife and I had a good enough time.
Wife wanted to buy an LP he was promoting. So I went and get it. He wanted to sign and I said, off the cuff, "No need". He was dumbfounded. He reminded me of Ian Dury for some reason. The Black-Man's Burdon is a really good album, in my opinion. What is it y'all don't like about it??

I’ve got two or three of his solo albums, can’t remember which ones off hand but always find them enjoyable.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 May 2024, 19:33

I think I saw him live twice. Once with the original Animals in the mid eighties when they had that reunion, and once with Robby Krieger. I may have seen him after that, but I'm thinking it was with War, and I can't confirm if he ever played dates with them in the early '90s. You can see how my memory is.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 25 May 2024, 20:10

Would have been great to see EB accompanied by War. Like you, I can't recall if they've ever teamed up again.
At the same venue we saw EB (Dosey Doe in Woodlands TX) we attended a Burdonless War concert, Must have been about a year later. The War concert was better.

Ah, the Dosey Doe.
I mentioned it here before. Awesome venue. Saw some good concert there. The Blind Boys of Alabama was the best one without a doubt, But Graham Parker, John Mayall and Dan Hicks weren't too shabby either. In April I was in Europe, but that didn't stop wife & daughter to go see Martin Barre. They were very happy and impressed. I found the setlist:

set 1:
Look Into the Sun
(Jethro Tull song) (guitar solo)

Some Day the Sun Won't Shine for You
(Jethro Tull song)

Cat's Squirrel
(Jethro Tull song)

We Used to Know
(Jethro Tull song)

Serenade to a Cuckoo
(Jethro Tull song) (Martin on flute)

Sossity; You're a Woman
(Jethro Tull song)

Bourrée in E minor
(Johann Sebastian Bach cover) (guitar solo and bass solo)

For a Thousand Mothers
(Jethro Tull song)

Nothing to Say
(Jethro Tull song)

My God
(Jethro Tull song)

Thick as a Brick
(Jethro Tull song) (edit)

A Passion Play Ed. # 9
(Jethro Tull song)

Black Satin Dancer
(Jethro Tull song) (with "Back Door Angels" snippet)

Bungle in the Jungle
(Jethro Tull song)

Set 2:
Sealion
(Jethro Tull song)

Acres Wild
(Jethro Tull song)

Under Wraps #2
(Jethro Tull song)

Under Wraps #1
(Jethro Tull song)

Protect and Survive
(Jethro Tull song) (Instrumental)

Watching Me Watching You
(Jethro Tull song) (Martin on flute)

Beastie
(Jethro Tull song)

Steel Monkey
(Jethro Tull song)

Aqualung
(Jethro Tull song)

Hymn 43
(Jethro Tull song)

Jump Start
(Jethro Tull song)

I should have made a quick trip home to see this!

Sorry for not being 'on topic'. The aforementioned album we purchased at the Burdon concert was Til Your River Runs Dry.
I mentioned that we lost it, but just now I had a brainfart: I remembered we had one of them portable record players at the time. My wife is cleaning up and I'm going to bring it to the recycling store along with some other stuff that's still in working condition but no longer in use. I just checked: the vinyl is still on the player. Thanks Googamooga!!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 26 May 2024, 14:47

I only heard it once and that was around the time it came out, but I remember Til Your River Runs Dry being shockingly good (bearing in mind that I went into it with low expectations).

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 26 May 2024, 15:35

I'm gonna play it some time today and will let you know. Although it's on that old record player, I don't think I've ever listened to it. At least not sober.

Return to “Yakety Yak”