Does homophobia and misogyny in punk bother you?

Do talk back
pcqgod

Does homophobia and misogyny in punk bother you?

Postby pcqgod » 23 May 2024, 17:33

I remember seeing The Descendents at a festival in Austin, TX around 2015-- a real thrill for me since I had never seen them with Milo before--and starting to jump up and down excitedly when the opening chords of "I'm not a loser" rang out. When it came to a certain point in the song, however, Milo turned his back to the audience and sang some nonsense like "you fucking crisco" which seemed almost a relief to me at the time though it had not been something I had consciously considered before. The fact is that a bunch of punk bands I like have stupid homophobic and misogynic lyrics - Adolescents, Vandals, FEAR, Pagans, Angry Samoans, etc etc. I never took it seriously; punk is supposed to be rude and offensive, right? You can't take lyrics at face value from artists trying intentionally to cause an uproar. You yell out the lyrics at a show to release anger and frustration and go home happy and glowing, all troubles in the world temporarily forgotten. Your views? Related question: what do you think of artists who apologize for their past work?
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Does homophobia and misogyny in punk bother you?

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 May 2024, 17:40

If punk lyrics bother you, I'm wondering what you must think of rap lyrics.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 23 May 2024, 17:52

In 20 years time, we'll be so pure and blameless, the word "apologise " won't be in the dictionary. Won't the world be boring?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 May 2024, 19:00

I'm not really aware of any homophobia or misogyny in punk, to be honest, the stuff I like tended to be pretty politically correct. I do have that stupid Stormtroopers of Death album, Speak English or Die, which I didn't even consider as potentially racist when I bought it (I was young), but I couldn't sit through it. It wasn't even just the racism, it was really unfunny and puerile with it.

Where my collection does get problematic is with Death in June. I think its hard to consider their early bleak post-punk as being pro-nazi, but Dougie P definitely took them in that direction later. Funny that all these guys called Dougie became neo-nazis.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

robertff

Postby robertff » 23 May 2024, 19:20

ChrisB wrote:In 20 years time, we'll be so pure and blameless, the word "apologise " won't be in the dictionary. Won't the world be boring?

Too right my friend, what a world we're travelling headlong towards.

Just think, no banter on this board.

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 May 2024, 19:38

Yes.

But I know nothing about punk

I own nothing (sorry Chris LMG)

mudshark wrote:We don't give a shit about Blighty.
Y'all can use Yeovil for all I care

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 May 2024, 20:07

C wrote:Yes.

Derivative claptrap?

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 May 2024, 20:12

Matt Wilson wrote:
C wrote:Yes.

Derivative claptrap?

:lol:

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 23 May 2024, 23:48

WARNING/GUARANTEE:
This album contains material which a truly free society would neither fear nor suppress.
In some socially retarded areas, religious fanatics and ultra-conservative political organizations violate your First Amendment Rights by attempting to censor rock & roll albums. We feel that this is un-Constitutional and un-American.
As an alternative to these government-supported programs (designed to keep you docile and ignorant). Barking Pumpkin is pleased to provide stimulating digital audio entertainment for those of you who have outgrown the ordinary.
The language and concepts contained herein are GUARANTEED NOT TO CAUSE ETERNAL TORMENT IN THE PLACE WHERE THE GUY WITH THE HORNS AND POINTED STICK CONDUCTS HIS BUSINESS. This guarantee is as real as the threats of the video fundamentalists who use attacks on rock music in their attempt to transform America into a nation of check-mailing nincompoops (in the name of Jesus Christ).
If there is a hell, its fires wait for them, not us.

Thus Spoke Frank Zappa. Fuck all censorship.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 May 2024, 00:45

No punk that I can think of, my punk selection is miniscule compared with the ones from some of the BCB'ers here. And as for pop, you got me stumped. That sort of thing would only emerge in the 70s, right? If at all?

That leaves us with reggae (or should I say ragga), a subgenre of a major, major genre for me, reggae. Reggae is like the cleansing of the soul, while ragga is for when you feel a bit naughty and sweaty on the dancefloor. How about Buju Banton? For he's the main guy, isn't he? Well, I'll admit to owning a few, but it's not something that I am proud of. I might even consider them for the next trip to Accord. Or just keep them out of curiosity and to show my solidarity with the fighters against censorship.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 May 2024, 16:33

P.S. what’s a ‘crisco’….?

:?

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 24 May 2024, 18:47

"Crisco" is a well-known liquidly oily thingy one uses in US cooking. I have never bought it and don't really know what it is, but the shelves at the HEB supermarket I tend to frequent are filled with it. But I'm sure this is not what that punk band referred to. Could it "Chistian Conservatists?" Just guessing.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 25 May 2024, 01:42

Matt Wilson wrote:If punk lyrics bother you, I'm wondering what you must think of rap lyrics.

Well "bother" might be stretching it since this is music I have loved for decades and I have a special fondness for bad taste. But lyrics like "I hate queers!" and "you fucking homo" sound very cringy in this century, if they didn't before. And there's no reason we can't bring hip hop or any other genre into the conversation. How do you feel about racist,' homophobic or misogynic lyrics? Treat it all as,a joke, write it off as artistic license? Or do lyrics basically not matter to your appreciation of a song? I mean, I'm never going to stop loving "Brown Sugar."

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 25 May 2024, 01:51

Darkness_Fish wrote:I'm not really aware of any homophobia or misogyny in punk, to be honest, the stuff I like tended to be pretty politically correct.

I think it's more of an American hardcore thing; there was this macho undercurrent expressed as hostility to those communities that powerless, incel misfits would see as easy targets, especially women and gay people. Of course not all in the punk community sank to these depths but that undercurrent was there.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 25 May 2024, 01:56

mudshark wrote:WARNING/GUARANTEE:
This album contains material which a truly free society would neither fear nor suppress.
In some socially retarded areas, religious fanatics and ultra-conservative political organizations violate your First Amendment Rights by attempting to censor rock & roll albums. We feel that this is un-Constitutional and un-American.
As an alternative to these government-supported programs (designed to keep you docile and ignorant). Barking Pumpkin is pleased to provide stimulating digital audio entertainment for those of you who have outgrown the ordinary.
The language and concepts contained herein are GUARANTEED NOT TO CAUSE ETERNAL TORMENT IN THE PLACE WHERE THE GUY WITH THE HORNS AND POINTED STICK CONDUCTS HIS BUSINESS. This guarantee is as real as the threats of the video fundamentalists who use attacks on rock music in their attempt to transform America into a nation of check-mailing nincompoops (in the name of Jesus Christ).
If there is a hell, its fires wait for them, not us.

Thus Spoke Frank Zappa. Fuck all censorship.

Cool, but I am not talking about censorship, which I staunchly oppose. I generally oppose the idea of artists apologizing for their art and self-censoring, for that matter.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 25 May 2024, 02:03

mudshark wrote:"Crisco" is a well-known liquidly oily thingy one uses in US cooking. I have never bought it and don't really know what it is, but the shelves at the HEB supermarket I tend to frequent are filled with it. But I'm sure this is not what that punk band referred to. Could it "Chistian Conservatists?" Just guessing.

I guess I shouldn't have assumed everyone knows the song. The original lyric was "you fucking homo" which was changed to the nonsense phrase Crisco.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 25 May 2024, 17:45

pcqgod wrote:
mudshark wrote:"Crisco" is a well-known liquidly oily thingy one uses in US cooking. I have never bought it and don't really know what it is, but the shelves at the HEB supermarket I tend to frequent are filled with it. But I'm sure this is not what that punk band referred to. Could it "Chistian Conservatists?" Just guessing.

I guess I shouldn't have assumed everyone knows the song. The original lyric was "you fucking homo" which was changed to the nonsense phrase Crisco.

Zappa sings about it in 'Broken Hearts Are For Assholes'

"Ram it up your poop chute (wrist watch, Crisco)"

Used as a cheap lubricant.

See also Frankie Goes To Hollywood - 'Krisco Kisses' (a little ditty about fisting)
Give a shit or be a shit.

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Jun 2024, 09:40

Tom Waits For No One wrote:Zappa sings about it in 'Broken Hearts Are For Assholes'

"Ram it up your poop chute (wrist watch, Crisco)"

Yes. I've never noticed that!

Return to “Yakety Yak”