Most popular rock bands on Spotify

Do talk back
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Most popular rock bands on Spotify

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 May 2024, 17:59

I am fucking gobsmacked by this list.

https://www.themetalverseofficial.com/t ... e_vignette

Where to start? Now, I'm assuming this is North America only. Who the fuck would listen to Linkin Park if not Americans? No Led Zeppelin or Floyd, The Beatles barely beat CCR, Green Day for fuck's sake.

And then there's Queen at number one. Really? If you read the little write up, Queen is 46 on Spotify's all-time list, so that means the other 45 acts aren't rock at all. Hmmm... The Queen thing is interesting to me. I looked up their discography on Wiki and they haven't sold as many albums as I would have thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_discography

No diamond-selling discs for one thing (10 million). So I guess it's just Spotify where they dominate. I'm guessing most folks who use Spotify don't pay the premium price and listen to music for free. But I'm not a user so not really qualified to voice an opinion.

Thoughts?

C
Robust

Re: Most popular rock bands on Spotify

Postby C » 21 May 2024, 18:21

Amazing to see Creedence at 7th. Robust stuff!

Billy Joel…??

Did anybody ever listen to that bloody ‘erbert…?!

NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 21 May 2024, 18:31

Bohemian Rapsody probably covers 80%.
It's amazing to me how much that song is still appreciated by the newer generations. I have kids varying in age from 36 to 19, and they listen to it regularly. Even my granddaughter (she's 5 or 6) is into it. Very very frightening. Apart from The Beatles I've never 'spotified' any of the bands mentioned,
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 May 2024, 18:35

I still can't get over that list. No Zeppelin, Floyd, etc. But Linkin Park?! Should we even count streaming then? A lot of these bands certainly haven't sold tons of albums, but maybe I'm just dating myself by even bringing up something as antiquated as an 'album.'

Oh well, I'm getting old. Might as well learn to live with it.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 21 May 2024, 18:36

Fair enough, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys and Foo fighters, but ......my God, the rest is desperate, and that includes Creedence, one of the most derivative boring bands of all time. Queen, generally, are just a band for people who have a passing interest in music and think, just because Brian May plays guitar solos, they are a rock band

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 21 May 2024, 18:41

Matt Wilson wrote: I'm just dating myself by even bringing up something as antiquated as an 'album.'

Oh well, I'm getting old. Might as well learn to live with it.

A youngster was asked recently "What's your favourite song?" and the response was "All of it ?"

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 May 2024, 18:43

ChrisB wrote:Fair enough, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys and Foo fighters, but ......my God, the rest is desperate, and that includes Creedence, one of the most derivative boring bands of all time. Queen, generally, are just a band for people who have a passing interest in music and think, just because Brian May plays guitar solos, they are a rock band

Don't discount the massive popularity of "Bohemian Rhapsody," which has eclipsed "Stairway to Heaven" as the punters' fave song of all-time apparently.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 21 May 2024, 18:53

In The Netherlands there's this yearly radio event called the Top 2000: 2000 of the 'best songs' ever, voted by listeners, played every year non-stop between Xmas and New Year. It's immensely popular and for sure it's a 'live list'. Quite a few changes every, depending on who died etc. LZ, DP and PF had dropped quite a few spots in favour of newer music. There's only one mainstay: Bohemian Rapsody. There've been 25 lists so far. Queen's been #1 24 times.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 May 2024, 18:54

Matt Wilson wrote:but maybe I'm just dating myself by even bringing up something as antiquated as an 'album.'

That's the thing. Most users are looking for individual songs rather than albums.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 May 2024, 18:57

Right, especially when they're streaming it.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 May 2024, 19:00

mudshark wrote:In The Netherlands there's this yearly radio event called the Top 2000: 2000 of the 'best songs' ever, voted by listeners, played every year non-stop between Xmas and New Year. It's immensely popular and for sure it's a 'live list'. Quite a few changes every, depending on who died etc. LZ, DP and PF had dropped quite a few spots in favour of newer music. There's only one mainstay: Bohemian Rapsody. There've been 25 lists so far. Queen's been #1 24 times.

Now, ya see - this kind of stuff fascinates me. Because I've watched the ascendancy of Queen's popularity after Mercury's death, Wayne's World, and that movie a few year's back. Queen were just another big band in the '70s/early '80s here in the States. No bigger than many other groups. But now, and I think it's because of streaming, they're HUGE!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 May 2024, 20:52

For some clarification, here are the most streamed artists on Spotify.

https://chartmasters.org/most-streamed- ... n-spotify/

How the mighty have fallen. Madonna isn't even in the top 100.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 21 May 2024, 21:40

Not really surprised by this list. IS this World or USA. Not really sure.
Streaming is a different beast and there are oodles of people who only stream hit songs by a few artists.
They will play them over and over again. I've got a friend like this he only listens to what he knows and its not very diverse.

I'll never get the fascination with BR - I think its a so so song. But between Wayne's World and the few Queen Movie's have bumped them up esp. in USA.

By the way who is The Script?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 May 2024, 22:45

Matt Wilson wrote:Queen were just another big band in the '70s/early '80s here in the States. No bigger than many other groups.

Well, there were a lot of big groups then. But Queen were pretty huge here during Freddie's lifetime; I count seven Top 10 albums/thirteen Top 40 albums (including a #1), eleven Top 40 singles (including a #1) - I mean, that ain't chicken feed, as they say. (My album count includes a live double and a couple of comps, for the record.)

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 May 2024, 22:57

Charlie O. wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Queen were just another big band in the '70s/early '80s here in the States. No bigger than many other groups.

Well, there were a lot of big groups then. But Queen were pretty huge here during Freddie's lifetime; I count seven Top 10 albums/thirteen Top 40 albums (including a #1), eleven Top 40 singles (including a #1) - I mean, that ain't chicken feed, as they say. (My album count includes a live double and a couple of comps, for the record.)

Well, I did say they were a big band, just in terms of album sales, nothing in their catalog went super nova, not even in hindsight. They don't have a diamond-seller (ten-million) for instance. I mean - you don't see Van Halen (two diamond sellers) or Def Leppard (also two) on that list.

And what about Led Zeppelin (four diamond-sellers) or the Eagles/Pink Floyd (two each)? Queen's biggest selling LP is the Greatest Hits album from '81 - which has sold 9 million. Hell, even Aerosmith's 1980 Greatest Hits LP sold more than that.

It's probably down to "Bohemian Rhapsody" more than any other single factor, which accounts for their streaming success.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 21 May 2024, 23:47

Let's be honest now fellas: that scene in Wayne's World in the car when BH goes in high gear is classic and irresistible. It they'd picked Stairway, then LZ would be on top. Or Child in Time.

It's about the Rhapsody, those fucking penguins and We Are the Champions, worst song EVER!! But very well liked by the ultra-right.

Return to “Yakety Yak”