PSLs: Renaissance/Isotope - oooof!

Do talk back
User avatar
Spock!
Posts: 16209
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby Spock! » 28 May 2024, 21:32

Neil Jung wrote:
Haslam’s voice is shot unfortunately nowadays. However she keeps touring.





Must be horrible for her too - having had such a wonderful instrument at your command and now out of control. Wonder if she needs to tour.
Image

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 49870
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 28 May 2024, 21:32

wicked harmonica!!!!!!!!!

oh reap is diggin this mwhahahaa

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80763
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 28 May 2024, 21:32

.

Image




.
NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 49870
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 28 May 2024, 21:33

Spock! wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:
Haslam’s voice is shot unfortunately nowadays. However she keeps touring.





Must be horrible for her too - having had such a wonderful instrument at your command and now out of control. Wonder if she needs to tour.


i was wondrin the very same thing. *sniff*

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80763
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 28 May 2024, 21:33

kath wrote:wicked harmonica!!!!!!!!!

oh reap is diggin this mwhahahaa


I was just writing - reap loved a top of harmonica






x
NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 49870
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 28 May 2024, 21:33

C wrote:.

Image




.


for some reason, it looks like old python terry gilliam art mwhahaa

User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 11485
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby Neil Jung » 28 May 2024, 21:34

Never seen that cover C.
“Erratic associate member”

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 49870
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 28 May 2024, 21:35

C wrote:
kath wrote:wicked harmonica!!!!!!!!!

oh reap is diggin this mwhahahaa


I was just writing - reap loved a top of harmonica






x


mwhahaaha

::smack::

and he would go offff on the double tracked harmonica on armageddon's buzzard, as you knowwww

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 16144
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby LMG » 28 May 2024, 21:36

Spock! wrote:Think my first choice vote was for Hero & Heroine, this being my second choice. Glad this won, think it highlights John's playing more. A worthier tribute.


My weekly namedropping thang: years back my great friend drove me to a very small Acoustic Strawbs show in Teddington, near Strawberry Hill, their home turf. The show attracted many past members. I asked Dave Cousins to sign my CD inserts at the interval and he was a bit abrupt, saying he was busy. After the show he came to find me and explained the instruments were in need of constant retuning having all arrived from the airplane hold after their US tour.

We had a couple of pints and I explained that I was a recent fan and H & H was my favourite album. He told me that album's whole line up was there and pointed me in the individuals' direction but I was too shy of fucking up and asking Hudson or Ford to sign, so I stuck with Dave's signature and Dave Lambert's and talked to him about Sandy Denny.

Which I don't regret. But man I wish I had gone to meet John Hawken and get him to sign. He was never a Poundland regular, dammit.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80763
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 28 May 2024, 21:37

Dark and spooky….!


.
NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 49870
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 28 May 2024, 21:37

LMG wrote:
Spock! wrote:Think my first choice vote was for Hero & Heroine, this being my second choice. Glad this won, think it highlights John's playing more. A worthier tribute.


My weekly namedropping thang: years back my great friend drove me to a very small Acoustic Strawbs show in Teddington, near Strawberry Hill, their home turf. The show attracted many past members. I asked Dave Cousins to sign my CD inserts at the interval and he was a bit abrupt, saying he was busy. After the show he came to find me and explained the instruments were in need of constant retuning having all arrived from the airplane hold after their US tour.

We had a couple of pints and I explained that I was a recent fan and H & H was my favourite album. He told me that album's whole line up was there and pointed me in the individuals' direction but I was too shy of fucking up and asking Hudson or Ford to sign, so I stuck with Dave's signature and Dave Lambert's and talked to him about Sandy Denny.

Which I don't regret. But man I wish I had gone to meet John Hawken and get him to sign. He was never a Poundland regular, dammit.


ahhh, but it is still a wonderful thing. relish what ya did get. my sappy philosophy anyhow, mwhaha

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 49870
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 28 May 2024, 21:38

C wrote:Dark and spooky….!


.


oh yesssss.

i tell ya, the music fits each song's thannnnng

this would be good at halloween mwhahaha

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80763
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 28 May 2024, 21:39

LMG wrote:
Spock! wrote:Think my first choice vote was for Hero & Heroine, this being my second choice. Glad this won, think it highlights John's playing more. A worthier tribute.


My weekly namedropping thang: years back my great friend drove me to a very small Acoustic Strawbs show in Teddington, near Strawberry Hill, their home turf. The show attracted many past members. I asked Dave Cousins to sign my CD inserts at the interval and he was a bit abrupt, saying he was busy. After the show he came to find me and explained the instruments were in need of constant retuning having all arrived from the airplane hold after their US tour.

We had a couple of pints and I explained that I was a recent fan and H & H was my favourite album. He told me that album's whole line up was there and pointed me in the individuals' direction but I was too shy of fucking up and asking Hudson or Ford to sign, so I stuck with Dave's signature and Dave Lambert's and talked to him about Sandy Denny.

Which I don't regret. But man I wish I had gone to meet John Hawken and get him to sign. He was never a Poundland regular, dammit.


Nice story Chris

Very nice



.
NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 49870
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 28 May 2024, 21:39

for whom the bell tolls....

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 16144
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby LMG » 28 May 2024, 21:39

kath wrote:
C wrote:I think we made the right call with this album- it displays Hawken’s piano virtuosity like no other





.


absolutely


Doobs!

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80763
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 28 May 2024, 21:40

This track always reminds me of the second side (after Catfood) of Poseidon

Do you think Fripp nicked it?




.
NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 11485
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby Neil Jung » 28 May 2024, 21:40

Have any of you heard the second album - Illusion?
“Erratic associate member”

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80763
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby C » 28 May 2024, 21:41

Neil Jung wrote:Have any of you heard the second album - Illusion?


Yes





Thanks all that was great!!!




.
NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 49870
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 28 May 2024, 21:42

dammmn, that didst flyyy fucquin by, mwhahaaa.

what a fantastic album. what a debut. ahead of its time too.

thanks as ever brethren for the pleasure.

thanks to john hawken for his masterclass playing. to john and to all absents.

*chink*

see ye friday

::smacksmacksmacksmacksmack::

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 49870
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: PSL: John Hawken, Tuesday 28th May @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 28 May 2024, 21:43

C wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:Have any of you heard the second album - Illusion?


Yes




.


i have never heard it. what's it like?


Return to “Yakety Yak”