I love Blondie

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

I love Blondie

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 May 2024, 10:43

***I LOVE BLONDIE***

Blondie was without a doubt one of the most successful bands of the new wave era. When I first heard "Call Me" on Japanese television back in 1980, I took an instant liking to them. I had not even heard of the term "new wave" yet, I just liked what I heard.

And this was in a rather fallow music period for me, where I distanced myself from pop. I had distanced myself as early as 1977, when I returned to Denmark from a wonderful one year sojourn in the coastal town of Brighton, a year that I will never forget.

Brighton may be run-down now, but not so in 1976-1977. It was the Silver Jubilee period, the year when punk broke, and the UK was blessed with a new-found optimism. We were poor, all of us, but we sensed that things were looking up.

But back to Japan. My discovery of Blondie would also mark my return to pop music, and I found myself buyng records again, the superior Japanese pressings, of course.

It was also around this time that Blondie really broke big - first in the States, then the rest of the world. They had started out as a down-and-dirty punk band, but then they were picked up by Mike Chapman, of Chinnichap fame. If you were picked up by Mike Chapman, you were almost guaranteed success.

He provided them with the much-needed chart hits, and forced them to hunker down in the recording studio, where they had to find and tap into a pop vein, the kind of music that Chapman knew best.

It wasn't without protests from the band, however. They had their punk image to worry about, and were afraid to lose all "artistic" credibility. Which just goes to show that in the pop business, father knows best.

It seems that Blondie must have played their last, really dirty small-time club gig at an "all-star" Punk Benefit held at CBGB's, New York City, on May 5, 1977, after which the whole world beckoned, with larger venues and unprecedented success.

That would leave the old piss-stained club located at 313 Bowery in the East Village open to the filthy punks with their raucous sound.

Little did Blonde care, for soon the hits would roll in, and the band could suddenly count their hard-earned and very lucrative moolah. Which must have been rewarding to them in some way, at any rate. A fair trade-off, you might even say.

Since 1976 the American new wave band Blondie has released 11 studio albums, 4 live albums, 14 compilation albums, 3 remix albums, 3 EPs, and 38 singles.

And the best ones you will all find gathered on the 2006 Capitol Records comp, "Greatest Hits: Sound & Vision". Disregarding the rather obvious David Bowie title swipe, what we get here are 19 of the best, most cracking singles that they ever released.

Plus, a bonus DVD with another bunch of songs and very little overlap. How can you lose? Really, this is the best single disc (okay, two disc) compilation of Blondie's stellar new wave pop that I have heard. It conveniently ignores all the early punk crap, and dives right into their chart succes, kicking off with their first #1, the ebullient "Heart of Glass" from 1979. Fast forward to 1980 and "Call Me", and this is where I come in.

I have been a fan of them ever since, and am now the proud owner of their glorious album run on tasty remastered CDs. Forget the 1982 album "The Hunter" though, an obvious and painful misfire from them.

You can even stick around for their comeback albums, which gave them a few late-in-the game chart hits that I at least find quite litenable. Those are included here, too.

Finally, as the icing on the cake, you get a miraculous mash-up of their best song, "Rapture", and the ONLY Doors song that I ever liked, the mesmerizing "Riders on the Storm". And by golly, it works!

It's like the two songs were tailor-made for each other, giving the listener a hynotic and entrancing listening experience, that special mood that you amost hate to see stop. But not to worry, you can always start the CD all over again and trip a for a second time!

Last edited by GoogaMooga on 13 May 2024, 18:43, edited 5 times in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Blondie was the most successful band of the new wae era

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 May 2024, 11:03

Damn all those typos I had to correct! Sorry about that, hope you still got some meaning out of the text.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

C
Robust

Re: Blondie was the most successful band of the new wave era

Postby C » 13 May 2024, 13:30

How are we defining 'most successful' Googs - records sales....?

LP/singles?

Some clarity please lad

Yes, some clarity

mudshark wrote:We don't give a shit about Blighty.
Y'all can use Yeovil for all I care

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 13 May 2024, 14:38

The Police sold more albums I would imagine.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 13 May 2024, 14:39

Are U2 considered 'New Wave?'

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 May 2024, 15:09

All I know is that it was Blondie, not Police. Police may run a close second, though.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 May 2024, 15:10

Matt Wilson wrote:Are U2 considered 'New Wave?'

U2 are horrible arena rock. Ireland's worst export, I think.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 May 2024, 15:12

C wrote:How are we defining 'most successful' Googs - records sales....?

LP/singles?

Some clarity please lad

Yes, some clarity

Is there any other way to measure such things? Police had five albums, maybe all successful, but Blondie are the champs, is all I know. Too lazy to google it now. :)

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 13 May 2024, 15:34

GoogaMooga wrote:All I know is that it was Blondie, not Police. Police may run a close second, though.

according to who?
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 13 May 2024, 15:35

GoogaMooga wrote:

As true as that may or may not be, they were, would you not agree a " band of the new wave era"?
One that outsold Blondie by a considerable margin?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 May 2024, 17:13

The Slider wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:All I know is that it was Blondie, not Police. Police may run a close second, though.

according to who?

Well it was written on the hype stickers of the Capitol remasters. If you care to contend it, you are welcome to google.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 May 2024, 17:18

The Slider wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:

As true as that may or may not be, they were, would you not agree a " band of the new wave era"?
One that outsold Blondie by a considerable margin?

I was referring strictly to new wave bands, again quoting from the Capitol hype stickers. Sorry for the confusion there.

Of course U2 outsold Blondie, they were already one of the biggest bands in the world, even at that early stage, were they not?

But they ain't new wave.

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 May 2024, 17:25

You still haven’t said in what way they were the most successful, so answer the question, in what way were they the most successful?

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 13 May 2024, 17:32

robertff wrote:You still haven’t said in what way they were the most successful, so answer the question, in what way were they the most successful?

One assumes record sales equates to success. In that case, the majority of my record collection is made up of total failures :(

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 May 2024, 17:34

Quick google check Blondie 40 million record sales, Police 75 million.

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 May 2024, 17:36

ChrisB wrote:
robertff wrote:You still haven’t said in what way they were the most successful, so answer the question, in what way were they the most successful?

One assumes record sales equates to success. In that case, the majority of my record collection is made up of total failures :(

Can’t all be winners Chris.

;)

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 13 May 2024, 17:36

U2 were definitely new wave (or post-punk) when they started out. But over the years they developed into the 'stadiumpoprock' behemoth most of us hate. So they weren't considered new wave very long. Same as Blondie, for that matter. Parallel Lines was their last album that could be considered New Wave. So these bands are pretty comparable in the career trajectory, and U2 must have outsold Blondie at least 10-fold over the years. So they're 'bigger', no matter what those stickers say.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 13 May 2024, 17:36

GoogaMooga wrote:I was referring strictly to new wave bands, again quoting from the Capitol hype stickers. Sorry for the confusion there.

Of course U2 outsold Blondie, they were already one of the biggest bands in the world, even at that early stage, were they not?

But they ain't new wave.

No. Blondie became a big pop act in 78 and stayed at the top of that tree until 81ish
U2 were a cult act until 82 when War came out and they started having proper mainstream hits.

How would you define the new wave, Googs?
I would certainly have put that crop of bands that included U2, Simple Minds and the Bunnymen into it - they were absolutely a part of the new wave of pop/rock music that emerged in the wake of the uk Punk explosion.
Besides that is not what anyone is positing is it? "The most successful band of the new wave era" does not necessarily have to be a new wave band, does it?

You can blame Chrysalis but you are the one repeating their nonsense.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 May 2024, 18:41

robertff wrote:Quick google check Blondie 40 million record sales, Police 75 million.

Capitol are liars then! You'd expect a major record label to get their facts right. And on the hypesticker, at that. I'll change the heading to "I Love Blondie", because that is essentially what my post is really about. Oh, and the introductory line, too. Damn... :x

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: I love Blondie

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 May 2024, 18:44

Okay, fixed now. Then let me ask you guys, who do you like best, Police or Blondie? :)

Return to “Yakety Yak”