Dexys

Do talk back
User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 2453
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: Dexys

Postby mudshark » 09 May 2024, 23:33

The commute home was wonderful. Luckily an 18-wheeler blocked a frontage road, so I could listen to the whole Too-Rye-Ay album. Soul Brothers is a fantastic start to a great side 1. Still can't get over "Jackie". the opener on side 2 (Plan B) is Epic! but the silly bit on the end unnecessary. A bit annoying, actually. The rest is great. Eileen remains a classic. Still enjoy it every time it's on. It's one of those songs that always creates an emotion in me. Conclusion: a better listen than I remembered, but not as brilliant as the debut. But I definitely want to get me a new vinyl copy. Need some advice: do I buy the "as it should have sounded' version or the original? Or both perhaps?!
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 48335
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Dexys

Postby The Slider » 10 May 2024, 08:21

mudshark wrote:
naughty boy wrote:
mudshark wrote:Thanks guys! Slider is spot on with TFD: the first 3,4 tracks are horrible. Whatever half-decent stuff that follows can't make up for the damage already done.


He's saying the opposite.



Then's he's not spot on :-)


He is, you know
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 48335
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Dexys

Postby The Slider » 10 May 2024, 08:22

mudshark wrote: do I buy the "as it should have sounded' version or the original? Or both perhaps?!


Whichever is cheapest
The differences are miniscule
I prefer the original as I dislike revisionism in established art
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80717
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Dexys

Postby C » 10 May 2024, 11:49

The Slider wrote:I prefer the original as I dislike revisionism in established art


Indeed - no need to airbrush out the Trotsky lad…



.
NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic
Posts: 15432
Joined: 05 Jul 2004, 22:01

Re: Dexys

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 11 May 2024, 06:31

mudshark wrote:The commute home was wonderful. Luckily an 18-wheeler blocked a frontage road, so I could listen to the whole Too-Rye-Ay album. Soul Brothers is a fantastic start to a great side 1. Still can't get over "Jackie". the opener on side 2 (Plan B) is Epic! but the silly bit on the end unnecessary. A bit annoying, actually. The rest is great. Eileen remains a classic. Still enjoy it every time it's on. It's one of those songs that always creates an emotion in me. Conclusion: a better listen than I remembered, but not as brilliant as the debut. But I definitely want to get me a new vinyl copy. Need some advice: do I buy the "as it should have sounded' version or the original? Or both perhaps?!


Get the original.
And play Until I believe in my soul loudly.
And there were some CD reissues of tge first two albums with extra tracks like the Horse, soul finger and TSOP, live tracks etc - you might fancy the extras if not OOP.

Meanwhile I wish Kev woukd put out a comprehensive Don't stand me down, with all the extra racks from the 1997 edition, the director's cut edition, and the double single of This is what she's like - a "Don't stand me down sessions", if you will - preferably arranged in a coherent order.
Last edited by Limpin' Jez McKenzie on 11 May 2024, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic
Posts: 15432
Joined: 05 Jul 2004, 22:01

Re: Dexys

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 11 May 2024, 06:45

The Slider wrote:As is his solo album.


There are two solo albums:
My beauty, the covers album which is brilliant
The wanderer, which I don't have but heard a fair bit back in day.

To which do you refer?
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80717
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Dexys

Postby C » 11 May 2024, 13:51

C wrote:VC did a stint with them - didn't he? I'm not sure which album(s) he appeared on.

A sharp contrast to Atomic Rooster - that always surprised me

.


Can anybody be so kind to answer my question please....?



.
NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12714
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Dexys

Postby robertff » 11 May 2024, 14:07

C wrote:
C wrote:VC did a stint with them - didn't he? I'm not sure which album(s) he appeared on.


Can anybody be so kind to answer my question please....?

.




Don't Stand Me Down, with them for about 2 minutes.


.

User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 2453
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: Dexys

Postby mudshark » 11 May 2024, 15:03

I answered your question on page 1, old man.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 2453
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: Dexys

Postby mudshark » 11 May 2024, 15:06

In the late 80s, possibly early 90s there was a British comedy series. Quite funny, as I recall. Something with a painter. The begin tune was by Dexys. What was the series and what was the tune? I can't remember. I feel my mind is almost as old as C's, at the moment.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80717
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Dexys

Postby C » 11 May 2024, 15:15

robertff wrote:
C wrote:
C wrote:VC did a stint with them - didn't he? I'm not sure which album(s) he appeared on.


Can anybody be so kind to answer my question please....?

.




Don't Stand Me Down, with them for about 2 minutes.


.


I don't blame the lad




.
NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 48335
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Dexys

Postby The Slider » 11 May 2024, 15:16

mudshark wrote:In the late 80s, possibly early 90s there was a British comedy series. Quite funny, as I recall. Something with a painter. The begin tune was by Dexys. What was the series and what was the tune? I can't remember. I feel my mind is almost as old as C's, at the moment.


Brush Strokes
Because of You
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80717
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Dexys

Postby C » 11 May 2024, 15:17

robertff wrote:
C wrote:
C wrote:VC did a stint with them - didn't he? I'm not sure which album(s) he appeared on.


Can anybody be so kind to answer my question please....?

.




Don't Stand Me Down, with them for about 2 minutes.


.


Image

That's what confused me - he is not on the cover.....

1985 - VC killed himself four years after.

I don't blame him





.
Last edited by C on 11 May 2024, 15:19, edited 2 times in total.
NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 48335
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Dexys

Postby The Slider » 11 May 2024, 15:19

Limpin' Jez McKenzie wrote:The wanderer, which I don't have but heard a fair bit back in day.


I never even knew this existed
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80717
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Dexys

Postby C » 11 May 2024, 15:21

The Slider wrote:
Limpin' Jez McKenzie wrote:The wanderer, which I don't have but heard a fair bit back in day.


I never even knew this existed


According to Wiki, it doesn't




:?
NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 32639
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Dexys

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 May 2024, 15:33

I've cried while listening to Dexys too, just not for the same reason as you guys.

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 48335
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Dexys

Postby The Slider » 11 May 2024, 16:29

Someone give you a chinese burn?
Atomic wedgie?
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 32639
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Dexys

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 May 2024, 16:46

LOL. I'm just kidding. I only know their first album and "Come on Eileen."

It felt weird even typing that title.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80717
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Dexys

Postby C » 11 May 2024, 17:31

The Slider wrote:Someone give you a chinese burn?
Atomic wedgie?


:lol:

A Rooster wedgie!




.
NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic
Posts: 15432
Joined: 05 Jul 2004, 22:01

Re: Dexys

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 11 May 2024, 18:35

C wrote:
The Slider wrote:
Limpin' Jez McKenzie wrote:The wanderer, which I don't have but heard a fair bit back in day.


I never even knew this existed


According to Wiki, it doesn't




:?


?
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".


Return to “Yakety Yak”