Dexys

Do talk back
mudshark

Dexys

Postby mudshark » 07 May 2024, 19:37

Their debut album is brilliant, as is Don't Stand Me Down. Too-Rye-Ay and One Day I'm Going To Soar are very good. Haven't listened to their album with cover, but will do so soon. Dexys has produced some of the best music ever created on the British Isles. Yesterday I discovered that Qobuz has all their albums, so yesterday I ventured into The Feminine Divine, their latest from 2023. What a bunch of bollock songs! I couldn't believe my ears: crappy lyrics accompanied by music that seems to have been dug up from the bottom of the barrel at Chinn & Chapman Productions. I checked some of the reviews this morning: they're largely positive, which surprised me and made me wonder if something's wrong with me. Does anybody here have an opinion over Dexys in general and their last album in particular?
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Re: Dexys

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 08 May 2024, 07:01

I love Dexy's.
The first three albums are all excellent in one degree or another. I was blown away by Don't stand me down in 1986, and still love it.
The covers album is pretty good, though it definitely has peaks and troughs.
I liked One day, but it is patchy really.
I have the latest album, but haven't listened to it all yet - the songs I have heard just don't grab me enough.
I have seen them play live a couple of times and it is a good show - but I suppose they were never really a "band" - Rowland works with whatever collaborators will put up with him - they seem to come and go.
Kev lives somewhere near me in Bethnal Green, but I never see him around.......
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 May 2024, 07:12

I have the first two albums and I think I am good with that. Their particular brand of Celtic Soul is an acquired taste, but somehow I ended up with these two albums, which remind me of the early 1980s, when I'd listen to Radio Luxembourg, where the signal would come and go at random. I heard so many new acts there for the first time. Eurythmics, Culture Club, you name 'em, they played them all. And the deejay spoke English, another attraction.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 May 2024, 09:56

VC did a stint with them - didn't he? I'm not sure which album(s) he appeared on.

A sharp contrast to Atomic Rooster - that always surprised me

mudshark wrote:We don't give a shit about Blighty.
Y'all can use Yeovil for all I care

robertff

Postby robertff » 08 May 2024, 14:06

I've got two or three of their albums and like them well enough but I don't need any more.

Don't have a great deal of time for Kevin Rowland though.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 May 2024, 16:07

Yeah, I never got the appeal. First album is okay, but not revelatory.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 08 May 2024, 17:53

First three are gobsmackingly brilliant

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 08 May 2024, 20:20

I think I agree with Matt that music on the first album wasn't exactly 'revealing something hitherto unknown' (it's simply a brilliant album, that's all), but not many are. One of them is the 2nd album, I'd argue. I think the combination of violin and horns playing upbeat soul music was quite unique.
It's obvious that the BCB contributors with good taste like Dexys a lot, so there's still hope. But no opinions on their latest? That's what I'm curious about.

Vincent Crane played piano on Don't Stand Me Down. Dunno which songs, though. I don't have the album with me.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 08 May 2024, 20:42

SkyArts series : Classic albums being played live. One episode, filmed last year I think, featured Dexys playing "Too Rye Ay". Absolutely sensational

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 09 May 2024, 15:15

mudshark wrote: I ventured into The Feminine Divine, their latest from 2023. What a bunch of bollock songs! I couldn't believe my ears: crappy lyrics accompanied by music that seems to have been dug up from the bottom of the barrel at Chinn & Chapman Productions. I checked some of the reviews this morning: they're largely positive, which surprised me and made me wonder if something's wrong with me. Does anybody here have an opinion over Dexys in general and their last album in particular?

TFD is horribly front loaded
Three or four fabulous bangers followed by a handful of weak apologetic - in both senses - sacks of sadness.
It picks up a little at the end but the damage is done by then.

I adore Kevin Rowland.
He's quite obviously deranged and I like that in my pop stars.

The first three albums - and the non album singles - are all absolutely essential to me.
As is his solo album.
The rest... tread with great care.
But I'd go see him / them any time.

That song - that one - is deeply entrenched in my personal history.
When they remade the video with the down-the-years dancing footage, it struck a very deep vein with me.
I love this so very much:
Last edited by The Slider on 09 May 2024, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 09 May 2024, 15:18

Limpin' Jez McKenzie wrote:Kev lives somewhere near me in Bethnal Green, but I never see him around.......

Kev at large in E2

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 09 May 2024, 15:30

ChrisB wrote:SkyArts series : Classic albums being played live. One episode, filmed last year I think, featured Dexys playing "Too Rye Ay". Absolutely sensational

Going in now

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 09 May 2024, 15:42

The Slider wrote:That song - that one - is deeply entrenched in my personal history.
When they remade the video with the down-the-years dancing footage, it struck a very deep vein with me.

Me too. It's the most irresistibly joyous piece of music. It makes me cry sometimes.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 09 May 2024, 16:16

naughty boy wrote:
The Slider wrote:That song - that one - is deeply entrenched in my personal history.

Me too. It's the most irresistibly joyous piece of music. It makes me cry sometimes.

I love it too but I love several other songs on Too-Rye-Ay even more. This album, perhaps more than any other, is so tied in to a time and a place and a person that I could never be remotely objective about it though.
Just thinking about it makes me want to cry now!
Bugger off.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 09 May 2024, 16:21

Remember Colin Irwin review in MM (he normally reviewed pure folk music). He was gobsmacked. Can’t remember a more positive review of an album (except, maybe, Nick Kent re Marquee Moon). I find Too Rye Ay faultless....I can't think of a weak track, let alone a bad one. My fave track this week is "All in all" .....so poignant, but next week it might be "Plan B".

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 09 May 2024, 20:21

Thanks guys! Slider is spot on with TFD: the first 3,4 tracks are horrible. Whatever half-decent stuff that follows can't make up for the damage already done. Of the first 3 I've always rated Too-Rye-Ay the least. Great, but not brilliant. I'll Qobuz it on the way home for a reassessment. It's been years since I heard it. I think that's mainly because Eileen is played so often on the radio here, and listening to it always makes me think of "Jackie Wilson Said". I don't like that song, but that could be because of the fucker who penned it.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 09 May 2024, 20:34

mudshark wrote: it always makes me think of "Jackie Wilson Said". I don't like that song, but that could be because of the fucker who penned it.

Yes....always galls that he made ££££ from the royalties. However, I think the track slips seamlessly into the running order, and to an outsider, could easily think it was a Kevin original

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 09 May 2024, 21:16

mudshark wrote:Thanks guys! Slider is spot on with TFD: the first 3,4 tracks are horrible. Whatever half-decent stuff that follows can't make up for the damage already done.

He's saying the opposite.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 09 May 2024, 22:33

ChrisB wrote:
mudshark wrote: it always makes me think of "Jackie Wilson Said". I don't like that song, but that could be because of the fucker who penned it.

Yes....always galls that he made ££££ from the royalties. However, I think the track slips seamlessly into the running order, and to an outsider, could easily think it was a Kevin original

The whole album is pretty heavily indebted to Van Morrison's Caledonian Soul Orchestra period.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 09 May 2024, 23:16

naughty boy wrote:
mudshark wrote:Thanks guys! Slider is spot on with TFD: the first 3,4 tracks are horrible. Whatever half-decent stuff that follows can't make up for the damage already done.

He's saying the opposite.

Then's he's not spot on :-)

Return to “Yakety Yak”