Hawkwind - Live

Do talk back
C
Robust

Hawkwind - Live

Postby C » 04 May 2024, 15:22

Looking beyond Space Ritual, these two are superb live albums:

The '1999' Party is a live album by Hawkwind recorded at the Chicago Auditorium Theatre on 21 March 1974 released retrospectively in November 1997 by EMI. It was issued for the first time as part of EMI's re-releasing re-mastered versions of the Hawkwind back catalogue.

Palace Springs is a 1991 live album released in 1991, but recorded in 1989 prior to the previous album Space Bandits. The first two tracks had been recorded with a mobile studio, while the remainder were recorded during a tour of North America.
The live tracks were recorded during the band's 1989 tour of North America, their first tour there since the late 1970s.

Any others folk wish to recommend?

mudshark wrote:We don't give a shit about Blighty.
Y'all can use Yeovil for all I care

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Re: Hawkwind - Live

Postby The Slider » 04 May 2024, 17:16

I have the top one - it is alright
I've not played it for years though
I shall - and report back
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 05 May 2024, 18:40

I think both of those albums are very good, C.

The 1999 Party was recorded on the US tour in 1974. Del Dettmar had left by then and been replaced by Simon House. Robert Calvert was not in the line up at the time of the tour.

The entire set list had been redeveloped from the Space Ritual format. Only three songs and three poems remained - the rest of the set included earlier material from the band's album catalogue, singles sides, and yet-to-be recorded stuff that appeared on the following two albums.

Surprisingly different from Space Ritual, then. Not scaling the same heights, perhaps, but a very worthy acquisition nonetheless.

Incidentally, the same evening's set from support band and fellow United Artists' labelmates Man was also released decades later, as The 1999 Party Tour

Palace Springs is a live album from a 1989 US tour. Simon House and Dave Brock remain in the band, all others have been replaced by now.

I like the album. I first heard the 'bonus disk' recorded on the 1990 American Tour and later issued in its own right as California Brainstorm (both shows were recorded in California). Truth be told, I prefer that album, perhaps because I heard it first.

Both are worth hearing, featuring newer material combined with classics such as 'Ejection', 'Brainstorm', 'Assault And Battery',' Time We Left (This World Today)'.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 06 May 2024, 10:20

LMG wrote:Robert Calvert was not in the line up at the time of the tour.

The best thing about it

I'm giving it a re-listen now

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 26 May 2024, 20:07

Now Playing (all weekend, thus far):

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/hawkwind-dr ... cd-box-set

This has lingered on my want list since it came out last year, so I splurged on it as a Bank Holiday weekend treat.

I brought lowish expectations, expecting to file and forget. BUT this is all excellent stuff, am on my second or third listen.

This is the 80's 'wind line up which stabilised for three years and made The Xenon Codex. It comprised Brock with the excellent Harvey Bainbridge, from the late seventies onwards (he joined on bass but was moved to keyboards by Wing Commander Brock), the returning Huw Lloyd Langton on lead guitar, the son of Danny Thompson (John Martyn, Pentangle) Danny T Jr on tubs, Alan Davey and guest Lemmy on basses.

Fabulous.

Here's the skinny:

Disc One is the Friday Rock Show live from Reading Festival 1986, officially released previously but long out of print. This is a great upgrade, remastered and with notes in the booklet that are actually correct, unlike the previous edition which got the musicians and which instruments they played incorrect, in fractured syntax that suggested the writer had only recently encountered the English language and/or word processing.

The show is terrific, heavy on the newer stuff, plus classics Brainstorm, Master Of The Universe, Assault and Battery. Lemmy joins in on vocals and bass for the eleven minute encore Silver Machine. Reading went mad.

Disc Two is a 1988 broadcast show from the Hammersmith Odeon on the Xenon Codex tour. Also excellent. There are a few spaces where the audience is obviously reacting to visuals and the CD listener is left puzzled. There are only two seventies tunes - a reworked Sonic Attack and the final number Brainstorm. This set is essential for fans of the band's unloved fifteenth studio album.

Disc three is a pair of radio sessions, one from 1985, and another by a different line up in 1995. These are a beguiling mix of new material and reworkings of old stuff. The disc begins with Assault Of The Hawk, a medley of Assault And Battery and Night Of The Hawk. A Huw Lloyd Langton tune They've Got Your Number is up next, notorious among fans as it never made it to a Hawkwind album, residing instead on a HLL solo album. It is OK, combining paranoia with a West Coast AOR feel.

Magnu from Warrior On The Edge Of Time follows, the set's second version, paired with the title track of the boxed set, originally from the early eighties album Sonic Attack.

The 1995 set features the line up that made Alien 4. The Right To Decide is the flagship protest tune from the Decide Your Future EP from 1992, which was played extensively by Mark Radcliffe, the show presenter. The song warns of the danger of television, the internet, and arbitrary decisions on planning by local councils.

Death Trap, a Calvert tune from PXR5 is blended with more recent material, before another Calvert tune, Assassins of Allah is wed to the the Simon King instrumental The Iron Dream from the same LP Quark Strangeness And Charm, here updated and retitled The Dream Goes On.

If you want a primer on eighties Hawkwind, proceed at once. If you love eighties Hawkind, this is essential. If you dismiss anything after Lemmy departed to that band he was in after Hawkwind, listen with an open mind and be convinced otherwise.

"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

- Andrew Mueller It's Too Late To Die Young Now

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 May 2024, 15:18

LMG wrote:Now Playing (all weekend, thus far):

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/hawkwind-dr ... cd-box-set

This has lingered on my want list since it came out last year, so I splurged on it as a Bank Holiday weekend treat.

I brought lowish expectations, expecting to file and forget. BUT this is all excellent stuff, am on my second or third listen.

This is the 80's 'wind line up which stabilised for three years and made The Xenon Codex. It comprised Brock with the excellent Harvey Bainbridge, from the late seventies onwards (he joined on bass but was moved to keyboards by Wing Commander Brock), the returning Huw Lloyd Langton on lead guitar, the son of Danny Thompson (John Martyn, Pentangle) Danny T Jr on tubs, Alan Davey and guest Lemmy on basses.

Fabulous.

Here's the skinny:

Disc One is the Friday Rock Show live from Reading Festival 1986, officially released previously but long out of print. This is a great upgrade, remastered and with notes in the booklet that are actually correct, unlike the previous edition which got the musicians and which instruments they played incorrect, in fractured syntax that suggested the writer had only recently encountered the English language and/or word processing.

The show is terrific, heavy on the newer stuff, plus classics Brainstorm, Master Of The Universe, Assault and Battery. Lemmy joins in on vocals and bass for the eleven minute encore Silver Machine. Reading went mad.

Disc Two is a 1988 broadcast show from the Hammersmith Odeon on the Xenon Codex tour. Also excellent. There are a few spaces where the audience is obviously reacting to visuals and the CD listener is left puzzled. There are only two seventies tunes - a reworked Sonic Attack and the final number Brainstorm. This set is essential for fans of the band's unloved fifteenth studio album.

Disc three is a pair of radio sessions, one from 1985, and another by a different line up in 1995. These are a beguiling mix of new material and reworkings of old stuff. The disc begins with Assault Of The Hawk, a medley of Assault And Battery and Night Of The Hawk. A Huw Lloyd Langton tune They've Got Your Number is up next, notorious among fans as it never made it to a Hawkwind album, residing instead on a HLL solo album. It is OK, combining paranoia with a West Coast AOR feel.

Magnu from Warrior On The Edge Of Time follows, the set's second version, paired with the title track of the boxed set, originally from the early eighties album Sonic Attack.

The 1995 set features the line up that made Alien 4. The Right To Decide is the flagship protest tune from the Decide Your Future EP from 1992, which was played extensively by Mark Radcliffe, the show presenter. The song warns of the danger of television, the internet, and arbitrary decisions on planning by local councils.

Death Trap, a Calvert tune from PXR5 is blended with more recent material, before another Calvert tune, Assassins of Allah is wed to the the Simon King instrumental The Iron Dream from the same LP Quark Strangeness And Charm, here updated and retitled The Dream Goes On.

If you want a primer on eighties Hawkwind, proceed at once. If you love eighties Hawkind, this is essential. If you dismiss anything after Lemmy departed to that band he was in after Hawkwind, listen with an open mind and be convinced otherwise.

Robust stuff!

NEWLY REMASTERED FROM THE BBC MASTER TAPES

I saw them in the very late 80s at the Hammersmith Odeon - it may well have been that tour

I reckon 70 (John Peel); 71 (Dagenham Roundhouse); 72 (Dagenham Roundhouse) ; 72 (Paris Theatre); 85 (Chalk Farm Roundhouse); 88 (?) (Hammersmith Odeon); 2002 (Walthamstow Town Hall); 2008 (Hammersmith Odeon) and the last time with Theo Kasparis 2012 (?), Elephant & Castle - I cannot recall the name of the venue..)

mudshark wrote:We don't give a shit about Blighty.
Y'all can use Yeovil for all I care

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 28 May 2024, 12:22

The Slider wrote:I have the top one - it is alright
I've not played it for years though
I shall - and report back

I like it more than Space Ritual - it doesn't have Calvert on it and does have Simon House screeching away at his fiddle (uncredited)

Return to “Yakety Yak”