Diana Ross

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Diana Ross

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Apr 2024, 00:01

Diana Ross' career retrospective from 2001, "Love & Life", could very well be the best single disc Diana Ross CD of all. A generous 21 tracks - but album tracks all the way, it seems.

Still, it's got a foreword by Ms Ross herself, and appears on her vanity label Ross Records, an EMI-Universal Music TV release. With such things, TV-advertised comps, you can expect skimpy liner notes, just the bare essentials. But what does it matter, I rarely open those booklets anyway.

The sequencing is chronological, and the compilers have managed to pick the best of the best, every one a winner. Take for instance the trio of "Mirror Mirror", "Muscles", and "Work That Body", the songs tell a story and you get more of a ride, more of a musical journey.

One new recording closes the disc, a tender cover of the Dusty Springfield classic, "Goin' Back". That's the song that Elton John would like to hear as the last thing on his deathbed.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

mudshark

Re: Diana Ross

Postby mudshark » 02 Apr 2024, 09:54

80 years young, and she's touring again this summer, the daft cow. Got an invite for the 08/11 concert in Amsterdam. The plan is to be in Europe then (two months on, two months off is the scenario, health and other possible calamities permitting - a potentially dangerous hurricane season in the Gulf of Mexico being a bit of a worry, already), and we got invited, but the chances of us attending are sweet fuck all.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

robertff

Postby robertff » 02 Apr 2024, 10:04

Liked what she did with the Supremes but have never been a fan of her solo work.

She was awful, to the point of being embarrassing, at the Queen's Platinum Jubilee and why did she wear a tent?

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 02 Apr 2024, 10:15

mudshark wrote:80 years young, and she's touring again this summer, the daft cow. Got an invite for the 08/11 concert in Amsterdam. The plan is to be in Europe then (two months on, two months off is the scenario, health and other possible calamities permitting - a potentially dangerous hurricane season in the Gulf of Mexico being a bit of a worry, already), and we got invited, but the chances of us attending are sweet fuck all.

Find her Glastonbury performance from a few years ago. Chose the words of your choice ....car crash, total embarrassment, f****** disaster .........Even if you were a fan beforehand, this performance will put you off for life, (unless you're really into costume changes)

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Apr 2024, 10:50

Y'all should know better than seeing artists past their peak. But artists should know when to retire. Saves them the embarrassment. What's Willie Nelson doing on the road past 90?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 02 Apr 2024, 11:25

Mrs B used to be a huge fan. She even dragged me along to the cinema (when we were just a couple) to watch "Lady sings the blues" (tolerable), and "Ebony" (not so). She was a broken woman after watching the Glastonbury debacle :twisted:
Last edited by ChrisB on 02 Apr 2024, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

robertff

Postby robertff » 02 Apr 2024, 11:41

GoogaMooga wrote:Y'all should know better than seeing artists past their peak. But artists should know when to retire. Saves them the embarrassment. What's Willie Nelson doing on the road past 90?

Enjoying what he does I suspect, same as the Stones and all the others who can still put on a good show.

As you say though they should know when it's time to pull the plug, difficult though it might be.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 03 Apr 2024, 08:33

Don't you say nothing bad about Uncle Willie, Googs! That's blasphemy.
And so is Danish people using the phrase "Y'all".
:-)

I think the divine Miss Ross does a pretty good Billie Holiday, though.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 03 Apr 2024, 09:46

robertff wrote:Liked what she did with the Supremes but have never been a fan of her solo work.

Agreed, although solo up to about 1973 was acceptable. (Ease On Down The Road and Upside Down are 2 songs I hope to avoid hearing again for the rest of my life.)

But as I didn't see the more recent embarrassments (thankfully), it's the 1994 World Cup Opening Ceremony that stays with me.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 03 Apr 2024, 09:58

She's fine up to and including the Barry Gibb era
Hit after Hit - solid gold.
The last forty years have been completely ignorable though
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 03 Apr 2024, 22:05

Wondrous, hell of a fun bassline to play too.

Return to “Yakety Yak”