The Bevis Frond

Do talk back
Swiftie
Robust

The Bevis Frond

Postby Swiftie » 01 Apr 2024, 13:31

Today's Wordle got me thinking about this lot.

An English rock band formed in 1986 in Walthamstow, east London and fronted by Nick Saloman who recorded many singles and albums on various independent labels.

I recall seeing them live, around 1987, when I lived in Waltamstow, at the Royal Standard, opposite Blackhorse Road tube, about a mile from where I lived

They were a cult band - that are still going, but didn't pick up much traction. I'd be surprised if any of the prog goons are familiar let alone our friends across the pond or outside of Blighty (like Googs, Muddy et alia).

Loads of interesting info on the Wiki page including the fact that Andy Ward of Camel played tubs with them during the 90s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bevis_Frond

Well, any views?

PS For those interested - update on The Royal Standard

April 2022

One of the most famous music venues in Walthamstow is set to reopen under a new developer. Last year, the site's former developer The Collective went into administration, meaning the original plans fell through. Now, it has been announced that student accommodation company Scape will take on the contract.

Originally opening as a public house in 1840 opposite where Blackhorse Road station stands today, this entertainment venue stood the test of time for over 150 years. Previously known as The Royal Standard, it was a well-loved watering hole for locals and visitors alike. By the 1980s, it transitioned into more of a rock ’n’ roll bar, hosting a mixture of cover bands and local talent.

The Standard Music Venue hosted its last gig in December 2011, and has been boarded up ever since, however both locals and Waltham Forest Council are eager to see it reopen. Despite previous efforts to reopen the building, with councillors granting planning permission twice to see a new project take The Standard’s site, plans fell through.

Scape, a student accommodation company, has now taken on the contract for the site with plans to bring a new venue and shared living accommodation later this year. With no new planning applications submitted by Scape, it is expected that the company will use plans submitted by The Collective who went into administration less than a year after being granted the contract.

I remember a few gigs there but the most memorable was Groundhogs where I sat chatting to TS, over a pint, for about 45 minutes after the gig

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

robertff

Re: The Bevis Frond

Postby robertff » 01 Apr 2024, 14:26

Yes, I've often thought about getting a BF album but have never gone beyond that.

His music ought really to appeal to me and various people have recommended that I should investigate but I just haven't. He's released so many albums I wouldn't really know where to start as they all seem to garner a *** or **** rating and I know if I liked them I would have to start collecting the whole lot probably. It's not a good reason not to investigate but I've got so many albums I'm not sure I need another 26 or so to become familiar with.

I suppose I could always listen on YT but I'm not sure I can be bothered.

Perhaps his Lordship might be familiar with BF?

Swiftie
Robust

Postby Swiftie » 01 Apr 2024, 17:09

robertff wrote:Perhaps his Lordship might be familiar with BF?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Soft lad

Yes, soft lad

PS - actually it's TBF

robertff

Postby robertff » 01 Apr 2024, 19:44

C wrote:
robertff wrote:Perhaps his Lordship might be familiar with BF?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Soft lad

Yes, soft lad

PS - actually it's TBF

I know!

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 01 Apr 2024, 20:40

I'm still trying to work out how BEVIS was today's WORDLE
:? :D

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 01 Apr 2024, 20:53

robertff wrote:

Never heard of them.

I’m always tempted to listen to new / old band recommendations.

But this one comes from Cantankerous, so nah, I’ll give it a miss I think.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 01 Apr 2024, 21:41

Lord Rother wrote:
robertff wrote:

Never heard of them.

I’m always tempted to listen to new / old band recommendations.

But this one comes from Cantankerous, so nah, I’ll give it a miss I think.

Minimum 25 albums to whet your appetite. Actually, they're not bad....

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 01 Apr 2024, 22:33

Typing from across the pond, I can attest that the BF albums were well-distributed in the States, and they/he certainly had his/their admirers here - I even knew one or two of them personally.

But like most retro-psych, I'm afraid the actual records I heard by them didn't make a big impression on me.

J

Postby J » 02 Apr 2024, 01:18

I would recommend investigating further.
Try this track which came up randomly for my listening pleasure a couple of days ago. After a while I found myself stopping what I was doing in order to listen to the tune and also to Nick Saloman's rather fine guitar playing.

It's from the early 90s 'New River Head' LP, which might actually be a good LP to start with.
I imagine others on this board are more familiar with their/his work than me, and can make further (and better) recommendations. Although I have several releases, I'm regretfully a long way short of having the full lot.
Sorry I haven't got time to post more.

EDIT: oh and a new CD/double-LP was released only a few weeks ago : "Focus On Nature'" (i really should get around to ordering it).
oh the sun is shining
and I'm on that road

Swiftie
Robust

Postby Swiftie » 02 Apr 2024, 09:42

It wasn’t a massive recommendation Bob…

:D

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 02 Apr 2024, 12:52

C wrote:It wasn’t a massive recommendation Bob…

Ah, ok then, might be worth a listen then. :lol:

Just playing New River Head now - not bad as it happens.

Swiftie
Robust

Postby Swiftie » 02 Apr 2024, 13:09

Lord Rother wrote:
C wrote:It wasn’t a massive recommendation Bob…

Ah, ok then, might be worth a listen then. :lol:

Just playing New River Head now - not bad as it happens.

*thumbs up*

It's NEW MUSIC for me since my discovery in 1986

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 02 Apr 2024, 13:32

J wrote:I would recommend investigating further.
Try this track which came up randomly for my listening pleasure a couple of days ago. After a while I found myself stopping what I was doing in order to listen to the tune and also to Nick Saloman's rather fine guitar playing.

It's from the early 90s 'New River Head' LP, which might actually be a good LP to start with.
I imagine others on this board are more familiar with their/his work than me, and can make further (and better) recommendations. Although I have several releases, I'm regretfully a long way short of having the full lot.
Sorry I haven't got time to post more.

EDIT: oh and a new CD/double-LP was released only a few weeks ago : "Focus On Nature'" (i really should get around to ordering it).

Yep, best track on the album - really like this!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Apr 2024, 17:08

It's a pretty good song; it would be even better at half (or less) the length. As serviceable as Saloman's guitaring is - "serviceable" isn't a pejorative in my world (there are far flashier players who are far less serviceable) - it really doesn't warrant a stretch-out, IMHO.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Apr 2024, 19:43

The music's OK, if a little second-hand, but I know Nick Saloman best as a past Countdown champion: he seemed like a very affable bloke, although apparently - despite his musical stylings - utterly untouched by psychedelics.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Six String

Postby Six String » 04 Apr 2024, 20:52

A local guy Anton Barbeau has recorded (King Of Missouri) and toured with the Frond.

http://www.antonbarbeau.com/gigbag.html
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 05 Apr 2024, 09:05

He was one of those names that popped up regularly in the early 90s, the fanzine he published, Ptolemaic Terrascope, was highly regarded, and I think he might even have guested on a current 93 track, though I can't track that down, it's just a vague memory. Not really my kinda thing, definitely a bit of a reheated meal. Like Rayge, I also remember him from Countdown...

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 05 Apr 2024, 19:20

I love The Bevis Frond.

I have Record Collector to thank for drawing him to my attention early on in his career. RC lauded TBF/Nick S and gave the impression there were thousands of fans at a time when there must have been only hundreds.

Luckily I became one and managed to score a copy of the second album Inner Marshland for under a tenner at a record Fair before the following album was made.

I loved this stuff, it was quirky and derivative, yet had elements of originality. Marshland became and remained my favourite, as I diligently purchased each new release for the next decade or so.

Eventually I moved along, revisiting every now and again to check out what The Frond were up to. I am immensely grateful to C for this thread. I have just taken delivery of a remastered CD of Marshland, still under a tenner from amazon.

And I am now going to my first live outing of the band next month:

https://www.thelexington.co.uk/event.php?id=2640

Here are some of my favourites:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 06 Apr 2024, 09:06

I’m interested in where the name comes from. It is presumably a reference the the frondes - civil wars - in 17th c France?

Not sure about Bevis though.

A quick dive into Wikipedia reveals:

Bevis (sometimes spelled Beavis or Bevys) is a given name of Old French origin, meaning someone coming from Beauvais, in the Oise region, or after the Norman French “belfils” or “beufitz”, meaning fair or lovely son. It was not recorded in England until after the Norman Conquest in 1066.

That all makes sense. Not as interesting as I Thought it might be.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Apr 2024, 15:40

Darkness_Fish wrote:He was one of those names that popped up regularly in the early 90s, the fanzine he published, Ptolemaic Terrascope, was highly regarded

Certainly by me, I loved that thing.

Return to “Yakety Yak”