Grilled cheese and The Grateful Dead

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Grilled cheese and The Grateful Dead

Postby GoogaMooga » 30 Mar 2024, 17:58

***GRILLED CHEESE AND THE GRATEFUL DEAD***

So this is what the Deadheads used to eat when they followed their favorite jam band around the country for those five hour marathon concerts. Sold in the parking lots along with tie-dyed T-shirts and what have you, the grilled cheese has become the hallmark of the long strange trip, which we knew and came to love as The Grateful Dead on tour.

I never saw the Dead, they didn't play here in my time. In fact, they were very uneven in their output. Some of the studio albums are unlistenable, while others are brilliant. So proceed with caution and critical ears. Really, the only consistent thing about the Dead phenomenon is the grilled cheese. Which I never tried.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Grilled cheese and The Grateful Dead

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Mar 2024, 19:12

They actually played a six hour show once. But five hour shows were rare, not even sure I have any.

Was unaware of the grilled cheese factor.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 30 Mar 2024, 20:52

Masters of their own Kraft

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 30 Mar 2024, 23:01

GoogaMooga wrote:***GRILLED CHEESE AND THE GRATEFUL DEAD***

So this is what the Deadheads used to eat when they followed their favorite jam band around the country for those five hour marathon concerts. Sold in the parking lots along with tie-dyed T-shirts and what have you, the grilled cheese has become the hallmark of the long strange trip, which we knew and came to love as The Grateful Dead on tour.

I never saw the Dead, they didn't play here in my time. In fact, they were very uneven in their output. Some of the studio albums are unlistenable, while others are brilliant. So proceed with caution and critical ears. Really, the only consistent thing about the Dead phenomenon is the grilled cheese. Which I never tried.

3 to 3 1/2 was the norm for alot of the 70's(break time and long breaks at times in between shows made them a close to 4 hr show) . Note there was a time when Jerry played with New Riders, the dead did an acoustic set then New Riders, then the Dead. That would be 6 hours of Jerry.

"Some of the studio albums are unlistenable"
Like any band they have a great beginning:
The Grateful Dead (1967)
Anthem of the Sun (1968)
Aoxomoxoa (1969)
Workingman's Dead (1970)
American Beauty (1970)
Wake of the Flood (1973)
From the Mars Hotel
Blues for Allah (197
Terrapin Station (1977)

Not sure what you don't like except a few songs? Please explain?
While the dead can be better live (although actually some of their live stuff is unlistenable) there studio albums are valued.

In regard to the cheese sandwiches - I remember seeing them let alone a lot worse food and hippie people. Not that I have a problem with hippies but take a shower. No never had the cheese. I did get and give I need a miracle ticket, one of the coolest thing about the Dead culture.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 31 Mar 2024, 07:00

Four hours, five hours, in any case they were marathon length. I would like to give you a more detailed answer, but I am afraid I don't know the albums as intimately as you do. I cycle through an awful lot of music, so they are hard to remember in detail and tell apart. I never liked the first album. Not even at the height of my Haight-Ashbury obsession. Anyway, I've been culling a lot lately, and that has made me revisit some of their studio albums. Many don't hold up very well, not at closer listen. "Terrapin Station" was the most recent one that I revisited and it's not very good. I quite like their last two studio albums, the only ones where they had any single hit(s).
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Yakety Yak”