Oasis' best song

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Oasis' best song

Postby GoogaMooga » 30 Mar 2024, 07:11

I think we can quickly agree that everything post "Morning Glory" is treading water. Really, I don't believe anyone here will contend the opinion that the real gold is found on the first two albums, "Definitely Maybe" and "What's the Story, Morning Glory?". In 1994 and 1995, when it comes to Britpop, or indeed any contemporary rock and roll, Oasis were untouchable. Blur will always be number two in my book, they were not genuine enough and were also too art school influenced to really let rip. Oasis had guts, Blur had brains.

The weakest link is the bloated third album, "Be Here Now", a real dog. But even there you can salvage the best bits by sticking to the singles off of it. Oasis were always very generous with their singles, no stinking, time-wasting remixes, just four solid tracks incl. unreleased and live. When you buy an Oasis single, you don't just get one good track, you get four. You get value for money.

So what is the best song, then? What is their crowning achievement? Some people like "Wonderwall". It's "easy" to like and it was their popular breakthrough, the song that sent them into the stratosphere. For a couple of years there, they ruled the roost as the most popular band in the UK, and it all culminated in that gigantic Knebworth concert in 1996, where they played before 250,000 adoring fans.

So, if not "Wonderwall", which will it be, then? "Live Forever" is considered to be THE Britpop anthem, but for my money, it's "Whatever" off the first album. It is anthemic and uplifting, and it always puts me in a good mood. They had the good mind to add strings and that gave the song some extra pop sheen and dignified loftiness.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: Oasis' best song

Postby Lord Rother » 30 Mar 2024, 08:13

Good call. Whatever and Round Are Way for me probably.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 30 Mar 2024, 08:26

Their first single is their best - an exciting Mondays/Pistols onslaught which still manages to sound cool despite having some of the worst lyrics since Marc Bolan sat cross-legged on a hill

after that, I'd probably put this (maybe their best B-side)

and then, take your pick from those first two albums, which as you say are without doubt their best (I'd go for 'Roll With It', 'Champagne Supernova' and 'Some Might Say')
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 30 Mar 2024, 09:03

naughty boy wrote:Their first single is their best - an exciting Mondays/Pistols onslaught which still manages to sound cool despite having some of the worst lyrics since Marc Bolan sat cross-legged on a hill

after that, I'd probably put this (maybe their best B-side)

and then, take your pick from those first two albums, which as you say are without doubt their best (I'd go for 'Roll With It', 'Champagne Supernova' and 'Some Might Say')

Good choices all. :)
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 30 Mar 2024, 09:39

Acquiesce is their crowning glory

I don't know anyone who likes Wonderwall, though I guess it was the plebs' choice.

I bought all the singles through the third album.
They were as you say, good value.

I most certainly do not " agree that everything post "Morning Glory" is treading water" as they released at least one great single from every album
There is no consistently good album after MG though.
Be Here Now still has a pretty good record in it - swamped under a hundred guitar overdubs and a paucity of fade outs.
If Noel cared to do to it what Paul did to Let it Be, there's a good 40 minute record in there.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 30 Mar 2024, 09:56

Some great choices so far. I have a liking for "The Masterplan" (even though I generally prefer a Liam vocal)

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 30 Mar 2024, 10:03

The Slider wrote:Be Here Now still has a pretty good record in it - swamped under a hundred guitar overdubs and a paucity of fade outs.
If Noel cared to do to it what Paul did to Let it Be, there's a good 40 minute record in there.

That's true.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 30 Mar 2024, 12:52

The Slider wrote:I most certainly do not " agree that everything post "Morning Glory" is treading water" as they released at least one great single from every album.

Well, I agree with that position and own those albums. I only went the singles route with "Be Here Now". I don't think "treading water" is too harsh, we are talking lackluster albums with a few highlights. Paulie has been doing that for most of his solo career.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 30 Mar 2024, 13:54

Every *album* is a water tread - at best - after WTSMG, but not 'everything' because - as with McCartney - there is always a gem (Go Let It Out, Hindu Times etc) to be found

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 30 Mar 2024, 14:11

The Slider wrote:Every *album* is a water tread - at best - after WTSMG, but not 'everything' because - as with McCartney - there is always a gem (Go Let It Out, Hindu Times etc) to be found

Okay, I wasn't clear enough. I meant albums, of course.

robertff

Postby robertff » 31 Mar 2024, 13:04

Agree with ‘Whatever’ as their best song, although apparently it was plagiarised. Pretty sure it was released as a stand alone single though and not on their first album.

They had many good songs for a while but I like ‘Whatever’ best of all. Actually bought the CD single of it, only CD single I ever bought.

‘Cigarettes and Alcohol’ would also come close for me.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 31 Mar 2024, 19:32

Whatever was indeed standalone.
It was my favourite for a long time but it overstays its welcome

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 02 Apr 2024, 12:16

As an Oasis-hater, the only tune of theirs that I give some credit to is Half the World, which I do quite like.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 02 Apr 2024, 19:16

Acquiesce

The one about Sleeping in arseholes

Great stuff
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Swiftie
Robust

Postby Swiftie » 03 Apr 2024, 14:10

I only know one song: Wonderwall

Am I missing something....?

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 03 Apr 2024, 21:46

Whatever.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Apr 2024, 04:25

The fact that "Whatever" was a standalone single, somehow makes it even more special to me. A real gem.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Apr 2024, 16:44

They had tons of catchy songs in the '90s, and they didn't evaporate after 1995 either.

If fact, I would say that Oasis were primarily a singles band. More so than Blur anyway.

Return to “Yakety Yak”