Jim Morrison and The Doors

Do talk back
User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 30485
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Jim Morrison and The Doors

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Mar 2024, 05:33

from faroutmagazine.co.uk:

Five artists who hated Jim Morrison and The Doors:

Lou Reed
Jimi Hendrix
Frank Zappa
Jerry Garcia
Dennis Wilson
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12711
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Jim Morrison and The Doors

Postby robertff » 28 Mar 2024, 09:59

GoogaMooga wrote:from faroutmagazine.co.uk:

Five artists who hated Jim Morrison and The Doors:

Lou Reed
Jimi Hendrix
Frank Zappa
Jerry Garcia
Dennis Wilson



Does anyone care?


Thought it was just The Doors and, if it is in anyway true, sheer envy perhaps.


.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 30485
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Jim Morrison and The Doors

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Mar 2024, 16:27

Envy? Hardly. As for the mention of Morrison together with the band name, it could be read as "The Doors and in particular Jim Morrison" - at any rate, it is possible to hate on both, and that is what is meant here.

Okay, so it's trivia, but I like the idea that such credible artists should hate The Doors. Just shows that not everyone is in love with that band.

I don't hate The Doors, but I can't say I like them. Still, they were better than Queen. Queen had one good song, The Doors a few more. "Riders on the Storm" is brilliant and worth owning. I have it on a V.A. and also as a mash-up with Blondie's "Rapture", where it fits hand in glove.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80705
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Jim Morrison and The Doors

Postby C » 28 Mar 2024, 19:57

‘hate’ is a very strong word as I used to say to our dear, late Slim




.
mudshark wrote:We don't give a shit about Blighty.
Y'all can use Yeovil for all I care

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 45082
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Jim Morrison and The Doors

Postby Charlie O. » 28 Mar 2024, 20:34

I'm surprised they only came up with five names!

Interesting too that three of those five - Reed, Zappa, Garcia - are themselves pretty much "ya love 'em or ya hate 'em" artists.
Image

User avatar
naughty boy
hounds people off the board
Posts: 20296
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

Re: Jim Morrison and The Doors

Postby naughty boy » 28 Mar 2024, 21:35

Lou didn't have a lot of time for Zappa either, so he was right some of the time :)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 32639
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Jim Morrison and The Doors

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Mar 2024, 02:06

Yet Lou indicted Zappa into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame.

John Kay of Steppenwolf didn't like Morrison either.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 30485
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Jim Morrison and The Doors

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Mar 2024, 02:34

naughty boy wrote:Lou didn't have a lot of time for Zappa either, so he was right some of the time :)


Well, The Doors had more hits than Lou, so one might be inclined to declare sour grapes with regard to Lou's disdain. ;) But I don't think Lou Reed ever cared about hits. He had it in him, but that was not the route he chose.

The Doors is really music for interrailers, youths who make a pilgrimage to Pere Lachaise cemetery, where they light candles and drink cheap wine, always red. I think it is for the most part sophomoric music, music that you grow out of.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
naughty boy
hounds people off the board
Posts: 20296
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

Re: Jim Morrison and The Doors

Postby naughty boy » 29 Mar 2024, 04:03

The Doors were fabulous.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12711
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Jim Morrison and The Doors

Postby robertff » 29 Mar 2024, 07:34

GoogaMooga wrote:
The Doors is really music for interrailers, youths who make a pilgrimage to Pere Lachaise cemetery, where they light candles and drink cheap wine, always red. I think it is for the most part sophomoric music, music that you grow out of.


:roll:

Yeah, good for you Googa.


Glad I'm still young enough to like it.


.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 30485
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Jim Morrison and The Doors

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Mar 2024, 08:05

robertff wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:
The Doors is really music for interrailers, youths who make a pilgrimage to Pere Lachaise cemetery, where they light candles and drink cheap wine, always red. I think it is for the most part sophomoric music, music that you grow out of.


:roll:

Yeah, good for you Googa.


Glad I'm still young enough to like it.



.


Hey, if you get something out of it, I am happy for you. :) Remember, it's just my personal opinion, that's the effect much of their music has on me. A song like "Break on Through" is really indefensible, in my opinion.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 4404
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: Jim Morrison and The Doors

Postby Mike Boom » 29 Mar 2024, 15:39

Matt Wilson wrote:Yet Lou indicted Zappa into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame.

John Kay of Steppenwolf didn't like Morrison either.



Freudian slip?
mudshark wrote:
"This is quite pointless, but since we're all retirees with fuck all to do, why the fuck not."

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 32639
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Jim Morrison and The Doors

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Mar 2024, 16:55

Lol

Good observation. I read that twice and didn't catch it.


Return to “Yakety Yak”