Beastie Boys

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Beastie Boys

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Mar 2024, 13:56

***BEASTIE BOYS***

Now is the time for some heavy sounds, 42 tracks of prime Beasties, how beastly of them! Punning on Simon and Garfunkel and disguised as old codgers, Beastie Boys were like the call of the wild, but also totally of the moment, the closing of the 20th century. They knew what lay ahead, and they knew when it was time to recap. And recap they did, with a generous 42 tracks and even a guest spot by Fat Boy Slim. Who may not be as far from the Beasties' techy sound as one would imagine. It works here, in a synergy that energizes and propels the listener, as Adam Yauch spits out the words, backed by the secret weapon: Mixmaster Mike. Incidentally, their 1986 debut album, "Licensed to Ill", was the first rap album to top the Billboard 200 chart. I don't know when rap became hip hop in common parlance, but my guess is that it was round about that time.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Beastie Boys

Postby Matt Wilson » 17 Mar 2024, 15:31

Yeah, that's a great comp. If you really dig it, then check out some of their albums as well. License to Ill, Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, etc.

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 20 Mar 2024, 10:14

You've sunk to a new low I'm afraid.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 20 Mar 2024, 10:19

That's just a narrow-minded opinion Purgy-Boy, in my opinion.
BB are not exactly my go-to band, but there's no denying that License To Ill is a ground-breaking album with tunes that swing like a leaky tit and might even get your lazy ass moving.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Return to “Yakety Yak”