Steve Harley RIP

Do talk back
Nervous Ned

Steve Harley RIP

Postby Nervous Ned » 17 Mar 2024, 11:42

I was just reading an interview with him too. Was still touring and in good spirits!
Never a big fan ... but I do rather like The Psychomodo.

No age at all reslly.

C
Robust

Re: Steve Harley RIP

Postby C » 17 Mar 2024, 11:50

Come Up and See me

[Again, never a big fan but]

RIP

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

robertff

Postby robertff » 17 Mar 2024, 12:17

Ditto

A shame.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 17 Mar 2024, 12:50

Oh dear, another one from our generation :( RIP, Steve, have a lot of time for your first couple of albums

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 17 Mar 2024, 15:17

ChrisB wrote:Oh dear, another one from our generation :( RIP, Steve, have a lot of time for your first couple of albums

Yep, me too, especially Sebastian, Mr. Soft, Hideaway, Tumbling Down.

Never liked his big hit much myself.

Anyway, RIP Steve, thanks for the music (and for decorating it with Jean-Paul Crocker's fiddle)
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 19 Mar 2024, 20:12

Very sad news.

I have been a great fan of his for decades. The first three albums are superb. Then things got weird. Timeless Flight was a strange mix of Dylan and that thing Bowie did on 'Andy Warhol'.

The next one, Love's A Prima Donna reminds me of a 10CC album, there are even elements of Godley and Creme's Consequences project - strange speeded up spoken word interludes, an orchestral instrumental, styles veering off in opposing directions. A frustrating album, with many flashes of brilliance.

Harley then went solo, and the albums were more straight forward and less interesting.

I saw him live four times. Once in 1979 at the start of his solo career, although I have the memory that the one-off show a the Hammersmith Odeon was billed as a Cockney Rebel reunion. I saw a new version of Cockney Rebel in Brighton in the 80s, and then a decade ago Johnny Slider and I went to see the first two albums played with returning members and an orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall. A breath-taking show, that is how I will remember him.

A further show at the Indigo in the O2 the following year spotlighted the third album, The Best Years Of Our Lives, which featured That Hit. This was also very enjoyable.

"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

- Andrew Mueller It's Too Late To Die Young Now

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 20 Mar 2024, 10:04

Seems like he was a good guy. And "Make Me Smile" will be heard for many decades more. Deservedly. It's an Evergreen.
He was ill for a while, right?
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 20 Mar 2024, 11:24

LMG wrote:I saw him live four times. Once in 1979 at the start of his solo career, although I have the memory that the one-off show a the Hammersmith Odeon was billed as a Cockney Rebel reunion. I saw a new version of Cockney Rebel in Brighton in the 80s, and then a decade ago Johnny Slider and I went to see the first two albums played with returning members and an orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall. A breath-taking show, that is how I will remember him.

Were you not at the Best Years show at the Indigo too?
I'm sure it was you and me and JC

Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Return to “Yakety Yak”