Is there such a thing as decent filler?

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Is there such a thing as decent filler?

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Mar 2024, 20:51

The thread about the four greatest consecutive albums got me thinking, some of the greatest bands made use of filler, like The Beach Boys, the first two albums there are rife with filler.

And by filler I don't mean covers or showtunes, but original, throwaway songs. I can put up with covers and showtunes, some of them can be very inspired choices, but as for decent original filler, I can't name any. If they had anything memorable about them, they'd probably have played a more prominent role as singles, B-sides, or as key album tracks. I'd go so far as to say that pure filler can't inherently be any good. ;)
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Is there such a thing as decent filler?

Postby naughty boy » 16 Mar 2024, 22:16

GoogaMooga wrote:but as for decent original filler, I can't name any.

This makes no sense whatsoever.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Mar 2024, 22:28

naughty boy wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:but as for decent original filler, I can't name any.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

I have dropped an oxymoron, I'm afraid. But if we stretch the definition a bit, can we think of any *decent* filler (not great) where you don't reach out for the skip button?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Mar 2024, 22:37

You seem to be asking if there's any example of something that's not very good that is in fact good!

Sometimes weaker album tracks are fine if they maintain a particular mood. Or maybe they serve to highlight (or set you up for) a stronger track that follows.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Mar 2024, 22:41

The first Stooges album has a few songs that were quickly written after the record company requested them. They're kind of filler, but they sound great and fit well with the rest of the LP.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 17 Mar 2024, 15:39

I'm afraid John's right. And even his example of the first Stooges LP is a good one. Let's look at it: Eight songs, with "1969," "I Wanna Be Your Dog," and "No Fun" being the standouts in the minds of most. "We Will Fall" is actual filler to these ears, but some like it - so there's that.''

That leaves the last four songs on side two being examples of songs which to me, aren't truly top-tier Stooges, but certainly aren't filler either. "Real Cool Time," "Ann," "Not Right," and "Little Doll" would be great songs if any other band did them.

Swiftie
Robust

Postby Swiftie » 17 Mar 2024, 20:33

Yes, an oxymoron

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 18 Mar 2024, 17:02

naughty boy wrote:Sometimes weaker album tracks are fine if they maintain a particular mood. Or maybe they serve to highlight (or set you up for) a stronger track that follows.

What he said.
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Swiftie
Robust

Postby Swiftie » 18 Mar 2024, 22:02

ConnyOlivetti wrote:
naughty boy wrote:Sometimes weaker album tracks are fine if they maintain a particular mood. Or maybe they serve to highlight (or set you up for) a stronger track that follows.

What he said.

Then it’s not a filler?

Is it?

‘Weaker’ doesn’t imply ‘filler’

All tracks aren’t of the same ‘strength’

Taunta (Sammy's Tune) sets up Nantucket Sleighride perfectly

Subjectively, the former is not as strong as the latter but it’s hardly weak - is it John?

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Return to “Yakety Yak”