The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Do talk back
User avatar
Swiftie
Robust
Posts: 79607
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby Swiftie » 16 Mar 2024, 11:28

.
Forgive me if we have discussed this before, but prompted by yesterday's fine PSL I am keen to reiterate the point I made, and have made on previous occasions, that the first four albums by Santana take some beating.

I know this is only a personal view and I can already hear folk saying:

'Rubbish, it's Led Zeppelin'

'The Byrds - easy'

'What about your favourite bands - Jethro Tull or Gentle Giant...?'

So let's not just list bands that you consider, debut to fourth, are better but why




.
Last edited by Swiftie on 16 Mar 2024, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12295
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby robertff » 16 Mar 2024, 12:06

C wrote:.
Forgive me if we have discussed this before, but prompted by yesterday's fine PSL I am keen to reiterate the point I made, and have made on previous occasions, that the first four albums by Santana take some beating.

I know this is only a personal view and I can already hear folk saying:

'Rubbish, it's Led Zeppelin'

'Van Morrison - easy'

'What about your favourite bands - Jethro Tull or Gentle Giant...?'

So let's not just list bands that you consider, debut to fourth, are better but why


.




Just off the top of my head I think the first four by Roxy Music take some beating for sheer inventiveness and producing something new and different. Could say the same for VU, the Stones, Beefheart (whether or not you like the albums is a moot point), Byrds and the Who to name just a few.

You would have to be pretty magnanimous to name an artist that you don’t like wouldn’t you and, if so, why wouldn’t you like that artist in the first place?

Whilst I like Santana’s albums I wouldn’t place them higher than those I’ve mentioned, as I don’t like Santana as much as the others.


.

User avatar
Swiftie
Robust
Posts: 79607
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby Swiftie » 16 Mar 2024, 12:20

Note - I changed Van Morrison - I forgot about the debut. Like many I always think of the lad's first as Astral Weeks

Coincidentally Rob, as typing I noticed you mentioned the Byrds..! See above change.

So, does one's judgement have any reflection on how often one plays the said albums or whether indeed one likes them (!)

Is it a 'moot point' - a thread like this is always subjective. Nobody can objectively state what the answer is. Can they? Polls certainly can't.

The answer is not a fact

You cite Beefheart but I am aware you are not too keen on Trout Mask and Decals - the third and fourth....

As you know, for me Beefheart starts to get really interesting from TMR and I would go 3 to 6 [excluding Mirror Man which was recorded in 1967]

As for Roxy Music I have never quite got them although I have a few of their albums

The others would not be contenders for me





.
mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12295
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby robertff » 16 Mar 2024, 12:33

C wrote:Note - I changed Van Morrison - I forgot about the debut. Like many I always think of the lad's first as Astral Weeks

Coincidentally Rob, as typing I noticed you mentioned the Byrds..! See above change.

So, does one's judgement have any reflection on how often one plays the said albums or whether indeed one likes them (!)

Is it a 'moot point' - a thread like this is always subjective. Nobody can objectively state what the answer is. Can they? Polls certainly can't.

The answer is not a fact

You cite Beefheart but I am aware you are not too keen on Trout Mask and Decals - the third and fourth....

As you know, for me Beefheart starts to get really interesting from TMR and I would go 3 to 6 [excluding Mirror Man which was recorded in 1967]

As for Roxy Music I have never quite got them although I have a few of their albums

The others would not be contenders for me


.




Your final sentence says it all C. How could it be anything but subjective?



.

User avatar
Swiftie
Robust
Posts: 79607
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby Swiftie » 16 Mar 2024, 12:56

robertff wrote:
C wrote:Note - I changed Van Morrison - I forgot about the debut. Like many I always think of the lad's first as Astral Weeks

Coincidentally Rob, as typing I noticed you mentioned the Byrds..! See above change.

So, does one's judgement have any reflection on how often one plays the said albums or whether indeed one likes them (!)

Is it a 'moot point' - a thread like this is always subjective. Nobody can objectively state what the answer is. Can they? Polls certainly can't.

The answer is not a fact

You cite Beefheart but I am aware you are not too keen on Trout Mask and Decals - the third and fourth....

As you know, for me Beefheart starts to get really interesting from TMR and I would go 3 to 6 [excluding Mirror Man which was recorded in 1967]

As for Roxy Music I have never quite got them although I have a few of their albums

The others would not be contenders for me


.




Your final sentence says it all C. How could it be anything but subjective?



.


Final sentence Rob….?

Agreed but I am interested in the reasons for your subjective choices

That’s the whole point of discussion threads isn’t it?

Tell me why you list The Rolling Stones?

Do the first four vary across the pond?

I don’t know

Why don’t you think my subjective selection is ‘wrong’

Am I misguided by thinking that actually Tull’s 4 are stronger?




.
mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

User avatar
ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 12786
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby ChrisB » 16 Mar 2024, 14:46

Agree with Rob re Roxy Music.
My list will include Pixies ....there is NOTHING wrong with "Trompe le monde",
Fleet foxes
Vampire Weekend
Arctic Monkeys
Steely Dan
Family

User avatar
Swiftie
Robust
Posts: 79607
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby Swiftie » 16 Mar 2024, 15:17

ChrisB wrote:My list will include Pixies ....there is NOTHING wrong with "Trompe le monde", an excellent call - one of the greatest bands that ever walked the planet

Fleet foxes - never heard of them

Vampire Weekend - never heard of them

Arctic Monkeys - Gordon Brown's band - I've never heard anything by them

Steely Dan - pass - I know they are well respected but I've never got them. My loss, I know

Family - a very good call



oooof!



.
mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

User avatar
Swiftie
Robust
Posts: 79607
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby Swiftie » 16 Mar 2024, 15:23

ChrisB wrote:Family


Chris lad - I didn't realise, until two minutes ago, that Dave Mason played mellotron on Music in a Doll's House

My fave Family album has always been A Song for Me - possibly because it was sold personally to me by Richard Branson, at the Oxford Street Virgin 'store' above the shoe shop, in the week it was released....!

[only joking - the music is sublime]




.
mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12295
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby robertff » 16 Mar 2024, 15:37

C wrote:
ChrisB wrote:My list will include Pixies ....there is NOTHING wrong with "Trompe le monde", an excellent call - one of the greatest bands that ever walked the planet

Fleet foxes - never heard of them

Vampire Weekend - never heard of them

Arctic Monkeys - Gordon Brown's band - I've never heard anything by them

Steely Dan - pass - I know they are well respected but I've never got them. My loss, I know

Family - a very good call



oooof!

.



So in a nutshell C. as long as you’ve heard of them and you like them they’re in with a chance of being the best four consecutive albums. That’s about right, yeah.

As I said earlier, subjective.


.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 32531
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Mar 2024, 15:44

Some excellent choices here. Zeppelin, Roxy, Beatles (has anyone said that yet?), ? Tull, Dan, etc.

Not the Stones though, because the first four (UK or US), though still excellent, are comprised of mostly cover versions.
I wouldn't nominate The Who either, because A Quick One, while still enjoyable, isn't among their best.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12295
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby robertff » 16 Mar 2024, 15:51

Matt Wilson wrote:Some excellent choices here. Zeppelin, Roxy, Beatles (has anyone said that yet?), ? Tull, Dan, etc.

Not the Stones though, because the first four (UK or US), though still excellent, are comprised of mostly cover versions.
I wouldn't nominate The Who either, because A Quick One, while still enjoyable, isn't among their best.



I would disagree with you concerning the Stones and the Who, no-one said they couldn’t comprise cover versions, which of course would also omit the Beatles and no doubt a few others. Personally, and of course this is all totally subjective, I think A Quick One is one of their best but there we go.


.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12295
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby robertff » 16 Mar 2024, 16:03

Think Rod Stewart, Fairport and Talking Heads might be in the mix as well.


.

User avatar
Swiftie
Robust
Posts: 79607
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby Swiftie » 16 Mar 2024, 16:22

robertff wrote:
C wrote:
ChrisB wrote:My list will include Pixies ....there is NOTHING wrong with "Trompe le monde", an excellent call - one of the greatest bands that ever walked the planet

Fleet foxes - never heard of them

Vampire Weekend - never heard of them

Arctic Monkeys - Gordon Brown's band - I've never heard anything by them

Steely Dan - pass - I know they are well respected but I've never got them. My loss, I know

Family - a very good call



oooof!

.



So in a nutshell C. as long as you’ve heard of them and you like them they’re in with a chance of being the best four consecutive albums. That’s about right, yeah.

As I said earlier, subjective.


.


You are losing the point Rob

I am not suggesting that Chris’s list is wrong or misguided I am just stating that I am unable to comment on them as I have not heard of them.

This is not a thread about lists it is about discussion and cut and thrust

It’s like you asking me what my favourite sea food is

As somebody who has never eaten any fish products how would I know?


.
mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 4359
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby Mike Boom » 16 Mar 2024, 16:50

The Smiths
Meat is Murder
The Queen is Dead
Strangeways Here We Come

User avatar
ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 12786
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby ChrisB » 16 Mar 2024, 17:25

Mike Boom wrote:The Smiths
Meat is Murder
The Queen is Dead
Strangeways Here We Come


The obvious choice ..... my fave band and I forgot to post :(

User avatar
Swiftie
Robust
Posts: 79607
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby Swiftie » 16 Mar 2024, 17:43

Mike Boom wrote:The Smiths
Meat is Murder
The Queen is Dead
Strangeways Here We Come


Nice albums

Admittedly I haven't got all four but I find them a little samey - like The Wedding Present

Robust stuff though and a good call

Incidentally, why do you rate these four as the 'greatest'....?



.
mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 11458
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby Neil Jung » 16 Mar 2024, 18:00

You’ve never heard of Fleet Foxes? FFS!
“Erratic associate member”

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 30394
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Mar 2024, 18:09

Santana was the first band that came to mind when I read C's heading, that and the faint hope that he would suggest them. I know you are very fond of the first four, C, but you seem to dismiss all the rest, which is a shame, because there are some gems among them.

Byrds is an obvious choice, but they would be my pick.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 32531
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Mar 2024, 18:15

robertff wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Some excellent choices here. Zeppelin, Roxy, Beatles (has anyone said that yet?), ? Tull, Dan, etc.

Not the Stones though, because the first four (UK or US), though still excellent, are comprised of mostly cover versions.
I wouldn't nominate The Who either, because A Quick One, while still enjoyable, isn't among their best.



I would disagree with you concerning the Stones and the Who, no-one said they couldn’t comprise cover versions, which of course would also omit the Beatles and no doubt a few others. Personally, and of course this is all totally subjective, I think A Quick One is one of their best but there we go.


.


Those Stones covers are fine, but rarely better than the originals in my opinion. Few would disagree that their truly best LPs start with Aftermath, and not before. The Beatles had cover versions as well, of course, but never did they dominate any album like the Stones, Animals, Yardbirds etc. LPs did.

User avatar
Swiftie
Robust
Posts: 79607
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: The greatest first four consecutive albums...

Postby Swiftie » 16 Mar 2024, 19:52

robertff wrote:Fairport and Talking Heads

.


The first Fairport album is a mediocre Airplane clone and Dyble couldn’t hack it

Talking Heads are a band that past me by

I was in a band that played Psycho Killer - that’s the only track I know

The only recollection I have of the band is Byrne wearing a silly massive shouldered jacket and the female bassist bobbing up and down quiet sexily

OGWT I think

As you were



.
mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?


Return to “Yakety Yak”