Monolithic dinosaur rock bands, US vs. UK

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Monolithic dinosaur rock bands, US vs. UK

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Mar 2024, 21:10

Good evening to you all here from the space age bachelor pad. I am going though the album run of Creedence Clearwater Revival. I must say, they are very consistent so far. I am halfway through the run, no particular order, and I don't think they have put out an album that dipped below four stars. It's four and five stars all the way. I have read comments about how they should be considered America's best band, they are certainly way up there, with the monoliths. But unlike the other monoliths, they got in, did their thing, and got out again before any rot set in. For that alone, they deserve some credit. All credit to Creedence. All praise to Creedence.

Which leads me to a bigger question, why has the US got so relatively few monoliths? For a population that size, you'd think they got a lot more than they did in the UK. But for A-list, top drawer, south-of-no-north monoliths, there aren't that many. Sure there are plenty of bands in the garage undergrowth, and they count for something too, but did they fill stadiums and arenas? Were they consistent chart-toppers?

America had The Beach Boys. And the UK had The Beatles. But after that, then what? Where are the American counterparts to The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Animals, etc.?
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 15 Mar 2024, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Monolithic dinosaur rock bands, US vs. UK

Postby naughty boy » 14 Mar 2024, 21:29

Great American bands? Or something else? Because there's a HUGE amount of the former. Not quite sure what you're looking for here.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Mar 2024, 21:52

Great American bands from a commercial point of view. Pick what you think are the US top ten and match them against the UK top ten.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 14 Mar 2024, 23:52

Beach Boys
Byrds
Tom Petty/Heartbreakers
Eagles
Allmans
Skynyrd
Doors
CCR
Doobies, perhaps
Chicago?

That's about as monolithic as US bands get without going too much into punk/alternative territory. No real competition with their UK counterparts, overall.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 Mar 2024, 00:32

pcqgod wrote:Beach Boys
Byrds
Tom Petty/Heartbreakers
Eagles
Allmans
Skynyrd
Doors
CCR
Doobies, perhaps
Chicago?

That's about as monolithic as US bands get without going too much into punk/alternative territory. No real competition with their UK counterparts, overall.

Good list, pcqgod, I think you nailed it for the top ten. Although I am biased against the Doors, I recognize their monolithic status. If you count Jefferson Starship, I think the Jefferson Airplane Family Tree should be on there somewhere, too.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 15 Mar 2024, 03:51

single rock artists are big in America
Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Lou Reed/Velvet Underground
Billy Joel
Santana

Otherwise
Grateful Dead/Jerry Garcia Band
Jefferson Airplane/ Starship/Hot Tuna family tree
Metallica
Aerosmith (not that I'm a fan)

Swiftie
Robust

Postby Swiftie » 15 Mar 2024, 11:02

An interesting question.

Regarding Creedence Clearwater Revival they were an incredibly consistent band with the exception of their very poor last album Mardi Gras where John Fogerty handed over writing to the other members with generally disastrous effect - Fogerty only wrote three of the 10 tracks - Sweet Hitch-Hiker, that he wrote, is probably the best track

Regarding your main focus- of course the Brits knocked you lot into a cocked hat

Prog too….

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Mar 2024, 13:42

Hightea wrote:single rock artists are big in America
Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Lou Reed/Velvet Underground
Billy Joel
Santana

I've always said this. UK had the bands, US had the artists. Something about the societal collective in England and the individual in America. A lot of our major artists aren't in rock either - Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, Aretha Franklin, Charlie Parker, Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, etc. The US will never compete with the UK in terms of bands though. Even when I'm investing myself in a deep dive into a US group - I never kid myself that they're better than a similar UK one. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Black Flag and the Misfits. Both great US hardcore punk bands, but they'll never top a group like the Clash in my estimation.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 15 Mar 2024, 13:50

C wrote:
Prog too….

One thing about the Yanks - they never seriously piddled about in
anything as preposterously pointless as prog.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Mar 2024, 14:50

Do you really not like ANY prog, John?

I can see you enjoying a bit of say, King Crimson perhaps.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 15 Mar 2024, 19:14

What about Prince?

Huge with blacks AND whites.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Swiftie
Robust

Postby Swiftie » 15 Mar 2024, 22:45

Matt Wilson wrote:Do you really not like ANY prog, John?

I can see you enjoying a bit of say, King Crimson perhaps.

The lad has cloth ears

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Return to “Yakety Yak”