Tangerine Dream

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Tangerine Dream

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Mar 2024, 08:08

No, I am not about to collect a run of Tangerine Dream, but at least the soundtracks, of which I've now got two, are the business. Lush electronica, with a dash of the ol' motorik thrown in for good measure. TD is like Neu!, but with tunes, and a beguiling, trance-like progression in their sound. No need for vocals here.

The two soundtracks that I have now got are "The Sorcerer" and "Thief". My "Thief" is the ORIGINAL Virgin CD, copyrighted 1981, but it must have been released in 82 or 83, because there were no commercial CD releases before Billy Joel's "52nd Street" in 1982. 1982 is ground zero, the starting point.

Any fans here? What should I try next? Or have I already got the best?

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Swiftie
Robust

Re: Tangerine Dream

Postby Swiftie » 09 Mar 2024, 11:40

GoogaMooga wrote: "The Sorcerer" and "Thief"

Far from my favourites!

I'm a massive TD fan but if you like those two, I'm not sure where to start with recommendations

What others have you heard Googs?

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 09 Mar 2024, 12:17

Some fans consider the soundtracks to be incidental to the core catalogue, but others (including the band) hold them to be key components of the development of Tangerine Dream.

Certainly many of the ideas for the soundtracks were developed in live performance, so I would move next to the excellent live albums from the same period (1976-80, with a bit of leeway either side).

So I would suggest Encore from 1977 and Logos Live from 1982. Tangerine Dream shows at the time included a lot of improvisation, and at the shows that contributed to the live albums they were developing the ideas for film music for Sorceror, Risky Business, and The Keep.

If you like those, I would investigate the Virgin albums from the same period. Many fans will tell you that their best comes from the Virgin albums preceding the foray into soundtracks, namely Phaedra, Rubycon, the live album Ricochet and Stratosfear (the period 1973-76). But I would start with the years after based on what you have said.

Incidentally, the Virgin albums are available in budget format on two readily available boxed sets:

This one includes the two live albums I recommended, plus the studio recordings from the time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Virgin-Years-1 ... NEI0&psc=1

This one is from the years immediately before:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Virgin-Years-1 ... H2M2&psc=1

Those budget boxes present earlier masterings that are perfectly good. The more recent remasters of the same albums are standalone CDs, and often also include very good and extensive bonus material, but obviously at a considerably greater cost.

Happy Dreaming!

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 09 Mar 2024, 12:33

I have seen Tangerine Dream twice in recent years. They played a crowd-pleasing mix of recent material, entirely new tunes, classics, and improvised 'sessions'.

The classics included material from the Virgin years 1973-84, as well as tunes from the Thief, Sorcerer, and Risky Business film music. The 'sessions' were very lengthy improvisations with guest musicians from prog bands like Marillion and the Steve Wilson band.

Naysayers will tell you to ignore the line up of the band from the past decade, because since the death of founder Edgar Froese there are no original members left, only musicians who joined Tangerine Dream this century. You can probably guess where I stand on this based on my having attended two live shows.

Interestingly, the current band continues its contribution to soundtrack music. Before Froese's death the band was a key contributor to the music for the game Grand Theft Auto 5, music the band plays in current live shows, and some of which harks back to themes taken directly from the seventies films such as Thief.

https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Tangerine_Dream

The Netflix series Stranger Things used music in the style of Tangerine Dream to evoke an eighties atmosphere. Tangerine Dream later covered some of this music, a cover of a pastiche, as it were.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... me-121684/

The band also gave permission for their eighties studio recordings to be used in the series. We can speculate as to whether the next step will be Tangerine Dream being invited to contribute to the fifth and final series of Stranger Things, now in production. They would provide a further eighties flavour to the series, which features settings in video rental stores, shopping malls, a cinema showing George Romero's Day Of The Dead, as well as the actors Winona Ryder (Beetlejuice), Matthew Modine (Full Metal Jacket), Sean Astin (The Goonies) , Paul Reiser (Aliens), Cary Elwes (The Princess Bride) and newcomer Linda Hamilton (Terminator and its sequels).

Swiftie
Robust

Postby Swiftie » 09 Mar 2024, 13:02

LMG wrote:Logos Live from 1982.

Dominion.

I was there

Of course

Swiftie
Robust

Postby Swiftie » 09 Mar 2024, 13:05

LMG wrote:If you like those, I would investigate the Virgin albums from the same period. Many fans will tell you that their best comes from the Virgin albums preceding the foray into soundtracks, namely Phaedra, Rubycon, the live album Ricochet and Stratosfear (the period 1973-76). But I would start with the years after based on what you have said.

Agreed on both counts

Endorsing Chris' second point, I suggest you try the live album Poland - it's a corker

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 09 Mar 2024, 13:29

A good sense of whether following the live album advice is a good idea can be gathered from this track, one of four side-long pieces from the Encore album from the 1976 US tour.

Note that after the initial piano-led piece, about four minutes in the sound I think best characterises this period appears:

If you do not like anything on this track, maybe proceed no further with the band. Personally, I think this is one of the best things they did (Sorcerer was my introduction to the band back in 1978) and it sends chills down my spine, especially the parts I have seen played live, surrounded by enthusiastic fans.

A fascinating outfit in all its forms, I reckon.

Swiftie
Robust

Postby Swiftie » 09 Mar 2024, 13:50

Good idea

Googs - try this (the title track):

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 10 Mar 2024, 12:38

C wrote:

Dominion.

I was there

Of course

The full concert from the second big box is magnificent.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 10 Mar 2024, 14:38

Jimbly wrote:
C wrote:

Dominion.

I was there

Of course

It is.

Available on:

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/tan ... 1980-1983/

I do not think it is available outside the boxed set, although it can be streamed easily.

The difference between the actual recorded show and the album was due to the fact that the band played some new and improvised material, and also some of their music which had already appeared on album. In order to make a new album, they used studio recordings to supplement the new live stuff.

This is explained in a later (excellent) live album Live Miles from 1988. In the CD booklet Edgar Froese is quoted as saying:

We performed a two and a half hour set including material which had previously been released on record which we could not release because they were blocked by copyright with other record companies. Se we had to cut out the new pieces and bring them together to form a new live record. From time to time we had to build new musical 'bridges' between these parts and some of those bridges had to played later on while editing.

An interesting insight into how the excellent Tangerine Dream live albums were approached.
Last edited by LMG on 10 Mar 2024, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

Swiftie
Robust

Postby Swiftie » 10 Mar 2024, 14:45

LMG wrote:
Jimbly wrote:
C wrote:
Dominion.

I was there

Of course

It is.

Available on:

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/tan ... 1973-1979/

I do not think it is available outside the boxed set, although it can be streamed easily.

The difference between the actual recorded show and the album was due to the fact that the band played some new and improvised material, and also some of their music which had already appeared on album. In order to make a new album, they used studio recordings to supplement the new live stuff.

This is explained in a later (excellent) live album Live Miles from 1988. In the CD booklet Edgar Froese is quoted as saying:

We performed a two and a half hour set including material which had previously been released on record which we could not release because they were blocked by copyright with other record companies. Se we had to cut out the new pieces and bring them together to form a new live record. From time to time we had to build new musical 'bridges' between these parts and some of those bridges had to played later on while editing.

An interesting insight into how the excellent Tangerine Dream live albums were approached.

Nice post

I recall after the release of the album being surprised that there was no guitar which Edgar definitely played at the gig

Live Miles is indeed an excellent album

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 10 Mar 2024, 14:57

Personally I'd try Hyperborea after Thief, same era with Franke.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 10 Mar 2024, 14:59

C wrote:
LMG wrote:
Jimbly wrote:

It is.

Available on:

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/tan ... 1973-1979/

Nice post

I recall after the release of the album being surprised that there was no guitar which Edgar definitely played at the gig

Live Miles is indeed an excellent album

Indeed and thanks for the kind words.

Tangerine Dream investors seeking a physical copy of the Dominion show should note in my original post which is quoted I referred to the earlier, Hades boxed set.

The post you quote was since corrected. The Dominion show is on this, the Purple Twilight boxed set:

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/tan ... 1980-1983/

Listening to this now on Spotify. Funnily and heretically, when I hear any TD live I catch myself picturing the current line up playing one of the two shows and soundcheck I have seen!

Here is my review from the first time I saw them in 2022, from a thread here on BCB:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=152417

I have never seen Tangerine Dream play live before, having passed up several opportunities down the years. One real stroke of luck was we headed straight to the cathedral on arrival Friday afternoon to look around in daylight before they closed it to the public prior to the performance. At around 3:30 in the afternoon in the cathedral, we started hearing this awesome, ominous bass permeating down to the crypt where we were sightseeing. We went upstairs to hear current band members Thorsten Quaeschning and later Paul Frick doing a soundcheck. This went on for half an hour, there were only about ten people there listening and a scattering of bemused tourists.

I joked with my friend it would be funny if that music proved to be better than the evening performance. Later we agreed that there was a roughness and 'obvious live-ness' to what we heard in the afternoon that was absent from the evening show. I say 'obvious' given the oft-heard comment (overheard at the Kraftwerk show I went to and also on Friday night) 'how do you know they are are not just playing a recording?'

Such is the reward for striving for technical perfection! The sound was magnificent, and the video and lighting were very good. At times I just closed my eyes and let the music carry me away.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tangerin ... 9d860.html

Stratosfear
Betrayal (Sorcerer Theme)
The Dream Is Always the Same
It Is Time to Leave When Everyone Is Dancing
Raum
Love on a Real Train (Risky Business)
Ricochet, Part Two
Continuum
Choronzon
Horizon, Section 1
Horizon, Section 2
White Eagle
Phaedra
Kiew Mission
Pilots of Purple Twilight
Cloudburst Flight
Los Santos City Map
Tangram, Set I

Improvisation encore with Steve Rothery of Marillion

It was nearly a three hour show, no breaks, no intermission. My favourite pieces were the opener 'Stratosfear'/'Sorcerer Theme' (my first TD LP!), 'Phaedra', 'Richochet 2' (piano intro of which was breathtakingly lovely), all the selections from new album Raum, which I have listened to thoroughly via streaming. I also really enjoyed Steve Rothery doing the guitar parts on Cloudburst Flight, warming up for more improvisation later.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 10 Mar 2024, 15:15

never/ever wrote:Personally I'd try Hyperborea after Thief, same era with Franke.

Another excellent suggestion. That album is included on the budget box I suggest, along with the live albums Encore and Logos:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Virgin-Years-1 ... NEI0&psc=1

Swiftie
Robust

Postby Swiftie » 10 Mar 2024, 16:37

LMG wrote:
never/ever wrote:Personally I'd try Hyperborea after Thief, same era with Franke.

Another excellent suggestion.

Hyperborea is a stunning album - one of my top 6 probably

Another which would be in that half dozen is the yet to be mentioned Force Majeure two after the excellent Stratosfear and worth a try

robertff

Postby robertff » 10 Mar 2024, 17:04

Got quite a few of their albums but rarely, if ever, play them.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Mar 2024, 19:31

I don't think Googs does box sets, but sometimes I feel they are ALL I do!

Me recommendeth this:

In Search Of Hades (The Virgin Recordings 1973-1979)

Phaedra, the Victoria Palace Concert, the Rainbow Concert, Rubycon, the Royal Albert Hall Concert, Ricochet, Stratosfear, Encore, Cyclone, Force Majeure, and tons of other stuff. I'm not gonna say it's all the TD you need, but it's more than a start.

I've never heard the Thief soundtrack, but love the film.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 10 Mar 2024, 19:41

Matt Wilson wrote:I don't think Googs does box sets, but sometimes I feel they are ALL I do!

Me recommendeth this:

Phaedra, the Victoria Palace Concert, the Rainbow Concert, Rubycon, the Royal Albert Hall Concert, Ricochet, Stratosfear, Encore, Cyclone, Force Majeure, and tons of other stuff. I'm not gonna say it's all the TD you need, but it's more than a start.

And the holy grail for many years, Oedipus Tyrannus.
Amazing box set, beside the remixing stuff (not that much) the mastering was
to these ears the best yet. But I guess this is beyond G interest in TD
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 10 Mar 2024, 21:45

Thanks for all the recommendations and interesting feedback, looks like my two soundtracks won't be quite enough to satiate me. I'll give Logos, Encore, and Hyperborea some serious consideration now.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 10 Mar 2024, 22:27

Matt Wilson wrote:I don't think Googs does box sets, but sometimes I feel they are ALL I do!

Me recommendeth this:

Wonderful box, love it, in fact not sure ive listened to every cd yet, but the unreleased album is superb,

Return to “Yakety Yak”