Beyond Appearances

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Beyond Appearances

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Feb 2024, 01:59

I discovered Santana in 1981 or thereabouts, in my senior year of high school, I think. My first album was "Santana's Greatest Hits" from 1976, on vinyl.

It was recommended to me by a schoolmate, and I remember him marveling at the cover design, drawing parallels between the dove on the Santana cover and the dove in the film Blade Runner. Never mind that the two works were released six years apart...

Then in 1982 I graduated from high school and moved to Denmark, where I hunkered down to some serious uni shit. That year Santana released their gold-certified AOR smash, "Shango", and went on tour.

By the spring of 1983 they played Copenhagen and I was completely blown away by their marathon three hour set. I bought the vinyl of "Shango" and played it to death the next two years. It is still the album that I have played the most in my life.

Then in 1985, after a three year recording hiatus, Santana released their long awaited new album, "Beyond Appearances". The wraparound cover collage was reminiscent of the Abraxas cover by Mati Klarwein, as if they were living on past glories.

The album flopped. It was their first album to not go gold. I bought it new, rushed home, and put it on. Played it over and over, but the magic was gone.

I was feeling charitable, as rabid fans tend to be, and did not skip anything. Put both sides on repeat, but the album never really clicked with me.

Sure there are moments of brilliance, and a few songs that are listenable, but you are lucky if you can get an EP out of this album, by judicious programming.

Oddly, the best track on "Beyond Appearances" is a kind of hip hop instrumental number called "Brotherhood", which Miles Davis had heard and complimented Carlos on.

Here's my pre-programmed EP:

Brotherhood
Right Now
I'm the One Who Loves You
Two Points of View
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

robertff

Re: Beyond Appearances

Postby robertff » 09 Feb 2024, 15:41

Thought Shango was more or less considered to be a failure and didn’t sell particularly well.

As for Supernatural I have never understood why that became such a phenomenon. It was one of those albums like Frampton Comes Alive which sold in millions and now no-one knows why.

Not sure anyone on this board would swap it for any of the first four.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 09 Feb 2024, 15:45

robertff wrote:As for Supernatural I have never understood why that became such a phenomenon. It was one of those albums like Frampton Comes Alive which sold in millions and now no-one knows why.

Absolutely. Beyond explanation. I'd throw in Enya and Sheryl Crow as other artists whose success leaves me bewildered

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 09 Feb 2024, 16:36

I'm sure 80% of the "Comes Alive" copies sold in The Netherlands were purchased by high school girls, and they all put that damn poster on their walls. That's what they bought it for: the poster. It was very frustrating for us male adolescents: finally you get invited to a girls home to delve deeper into the Pythagorean theorem or whatever, only to find yourself being stared down by Peter Frampton on one wall, and fucking Julien Clerc on the other.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Feb 2024, 16:36

Supernatural is okay, last really good album. Certainly better than Beyond Appearances. Shango went gold. Santana took the band in an AOR direction, so if you like that sort of thing, Shango is just the ticket.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Feb 2024, 16:39

I found Frampton Comes Alive in thrift, even Frampton Comes Alive 2. The latter I sold again, and the former is not one I pull out for play very often. Wasn't it just that one song? It's rare for a live album to sell heaps like that, but it happens.

robertff

Postby robertff » 09 Feb 2024, 16:54

ChrisB wrote:
robertff wrote:As for Supernatural I have never understood why that became such a phenomenon. It was one of those albums like Frampton Comes Alive which sold in millions and now no-one knows why.

Absolutely. Beyond explanation. I'd throw in Enya and Sheryl Crow as other artists whose success leaves me bewildered

Enya - yes, Sheryl Crow - disagree she’s produced some very good albums and the best Stones’ song which they didn’t write ‘If It Makes You Happy’ - fantastic song, check it out Chris.

robertff

Postby robertff » 09 Feb 2024, 16:55

mudshark wrote:I'm sure 80% of the "Comes Alive" copies sold in The Netherlands were purchased by high school girls, and they all put that damn poster on their walls. That's what they bought it for: the poster. It was very frustrating for us male adolescents: finally you get invited to a girls home to delve deeper into the Pythagorean theorem or whatever, only to find yourself being stared down by Peter Frampton on one wall, and fucking Julien Clerc on the other.

:lol:

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Feb 2024, 17:49

The three hits on Frampton Comes Alive are the best tracks by far, and they were played incessantly on US radio in the late '70s. I like "Something's Happening" and maybe even the short, instrumental "Penny for Your Thoughts." Other than that, in looking over the song titles, I guess "I'll Give You Money" is passable.

Why that LP sold more than any other live album at the time (does it still hold that title?) is befuddling, unless one takes into account that no other in-concert record had three hits on it. I've never bothered to check out any of his earlier, studio efforts either. Should I bother?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Feb 2024, 17:52

Wiki says The double album was released in the US with a reduced list price of $7.98, only $1.00 more than the standard $6.98 of most single-disc albums in 1976.

That could have had something to do with it too.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 09 Feb 2024, 18:52

robertff wrote:
ChrisB wrote:

Enya - yes, Sheryl Crow - disagree she’s produced some very good albums and the best Stones’ song which they didn’t write ‘If It Makes You Happy’ - fantastic song, check it out Chris.

I know the song, just find it AOR. Sorry. Might now throw John Cougar Mell. into the "How did they make it"? pot.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Feb 2024, 21:26

I agree about Enya and Sheryl Crow. Enya I never gave the time of day, and as for Sheryl Crow, I sold it all. John Mellencamp has often been compared with Bruce Springsteen, and here John trumps Bruce.

Return to “Yakety Yak”